Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:14:13 pm

Author Topic: Anyone studying mathematics?  (Read 1953 times)  Share 

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
Anyone studying mathematics?
« on: November 21, 2012, 09:43:14 pm »
So only rmit has a course called 'Mathematics' although several universities offer maths courses under science department. I don't think Mathematics deserves '76' ATAR. my questions is..what is the most significant difference in this course comparing to other courses under science department at Melb or Monash?
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: Anyone studying mathematics?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:07:22 pm »
+1
I don't think Mathematics deserves '76' ATAR. my questions is..what is the most significant difference in this course comparing to other courses under science department at Melb or Monash?

1) Are you saying that an ATAR of 76 is too high or too low? Because if you're saying that it is too high, both Science at Monash and UoM have higher clearly-ins than 76. Secondly, the ATAR required is not representative of how hard the course is, or what level of intelligence it requires, it's a measure of how competitive it is to get into a particular course. Thus, in many ways, students decide what the clearly-in ATAR for a course is.

2) There won't be any significant differences, whatever branch of mathematics you decide to go into will be based on your subject choices. I'm not sure about other universities, but at Monash, at the undergraduate level, there isn't significant breadth in subject choices anyway, all maths majors will probably spend the first two years doing similar subjects, part of their third year will also be similar.

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »
My high school teacher completed his phd in pure mathematics at rmit, and he has told me he worked closely with a lot melbourne uni kids during his thesis preparations - so im guessing mathematicd at a higher level will not be dependant on which university you attend.

#1procrastinator

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:27 pm »
So only rmit has a course called 'Mathematics' although several universities offer maths courses under science department. I don't think Mathematics deserves '76' ATAR. my questions is..what is the most significant difference in this course comparing to other courses under science department at Melb or Monash?

Looks like the difference is that at RMIT, you can really only do super full-on applied math

Courses you take:
http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse/;CURPOS=1?programCode=%3F&STYPE=ENTIRE&QRY=%2Btype%3Dflexible+%2Bsubtype%3Deps+%2Bnotes%3D(%20|%22BP083%22)

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 08:46:45 pm »
+1
Keep in mind that for most specializations with name "X" there isn't a degree in UOM called "Bachelor of X". This doesn't mean that you can't specialize in it. In my second and third year over 3/4 of my course was Mathematics(and quite a lot more if you count Logic or Theoretical Computer Science as Mathematics, which you may) even though the degree was called a "Bachelor of Science".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:48:27 pm by kamil9876 »
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."