Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:33:25 pm

Author Topic: What can I do with an actuary major/degree  (Read 2685 times)  Share 

tas.jones

What can I do with an actuary major/degree
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:13:27 pm »
...instead of being an actuarist?

If I want to be a banker, what other majors are generally relevant besides finance? (If so, how do I go about doing it if I'm doing a double degree? In combined degree with law, you can choose only one major)

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: What can I do with an actuary major/degree
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:59:15 pm »
+2
Commerce/Business degree with Finance/Actuarial/Economics/Accounting major. An Engineering, Science (Math/Physics) and Law degrees are also favourable. These can all get you into banking whether it be investment, merchant etc

An actuarial degree can land you a job anywhere really. I.e. insurance companies, consulting firms, government organizations, universities, banks and investment firms, accounting firms, rating bureaus the list goes on.

Google is your best friend with these sorts of questions :) You'll find all the answers you need!

tas.jones

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 04:17:40 pm »
Commerce/Business degree with Finance/Actuarial/Economics/Accounting major. An Engineering, Science (Math/Physics) and Law degrees are also favourable. These can all get you into banking whether it be investment, merchant etc

An actuarial degree can land you a job anywhere really. I.e. insurance companies, consulting firms, government organizations, universities, banks and investment firms, accounting firms, rating bureaus the list goes on.

Google is your best friend with these sorts of questions :) You'll find all the answers you need!
Thanks
Ironically, google has been feeding me links to yahoo answers

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:45:27 pm »
No worries :) Well yeah it does that sometimes, but it depends what you type into the search! If you type a specific question in then a yahoo answers link will come up as tons of people would've asked the same question :P Try keeping it to key words, or look around on career/organisation/specific institution websites.

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:16:39 pm »
You can go lots of places with an actuarial degree, personally i'm about to finish a management consulting internship and am doing an actuarial major, really anywhere that required quantitative skills will love you. If you want to go into banking (not sure why you would though, the hours are fucking cray haha, literally 16+ hours days for weeks or even months on end-that includes weekends btw), economics, accounting, finance or actuarial are all fine. Really anything but marketing/management. If you were set on it, accounting is probs one of the more useful ones. Accounting is the base technical knowledge, finance knowledge can be taught/you can get just as useful knowledge by reading the financial news.

Hope that helps :)

Azerel

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Jackpot!
  • Respect: +4
  • School: Sky High
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 02:38:42 am »
I hear that Actuary studies (commerce) is very awesome for double-degrees if that helps!
20-12/13 aims: Philosophy [45+], Physics[40+], Methods[40+], English Language [45+], Legal Studies[3.5+ Increment], Justice [4.0+ Increment]

Aim: Superhero/Villain

tas.jones

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 07:55:59 pm »
I hear that Actuary studies (commerce) is very awesome for double-degrees if that helps!

Definitely can't do double degrees in Melbourne; Actuary at Monash is pretty... meh :/
The only place with a decent major for Actuary with double degrees is interstate (UNSW or Macquarie)

chansthename

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 08:58:24 pm »
The only place with a decent major for Actuary with double degrees is interstate (UNSW or Macquarie)

And ANU