Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:39:31 am

Author Topic: Arts/Law and PhB - so many questions  (Read 4401 times)  Share 

Art Vandelay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Arts/Law and PhB - so many questions
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:08:49 am »
Hi everyone,

I received an ATAR of 98.00, so think I can get into the Arts/Law program at ANU, assuming the clearly-in doesn't move up too much from last year's 96 ATAR.

I'm interested in a variety of careers, such as law, foreign diplomacy, teaching, journalism, and lastly, a career as an academic.

As part of my Arts degree, I want to study Italian, and either literature or philosophy (assuming I can't do both as part of a double degree).

I'm leaning towards ANU over all the Victorian universities for arts/law at the moment, as I've heard good things about the philosophy, languages and international law faculties at ANU.

If I were to study a PhB (Arts), I would study literature, philosophy, Italian and maybe some international law.

1. Is a LLB/BA at ANU general enough to change career direction after I graduate?
2. Is the BA section of the Combined Law degree enough to get into a BA(Hons), and perhaps later,  a doctoral degree?
3. Is a law degree at ANU competitive here in Melbourne? I assume so (after reading the law stickies), but I'm worried, as ANU Law apparently marks quite harshly (not dissimilar to any other Go8 institution, I guess).
3. Can I get into the PhB with an ATAR of 98.00? I've heard that a negotiated offer is achievable with high 97s?
4. Do I need to know exactly what I'm interested in before enrolling in a PhB?
5. Can I move from a PhB to the LLB/BA if I don't satisfy the HD-requirement?
6. I'm not 18 till mid-2013, will this affect how much I get out of extra-curriculars on-campus significantly?

Basically, I'm most worried about being locked into not being able to pursue further study in the humanities, as the BA section might only be seen as an add-on to the law degree, perhaps not studying things as in depth as you would, say, in a BA or PhB.

I think if I don't do a law degree, I'd be leaning more towards doing a BA at Melbourne Uni, due to costs of accommodation, over the PhB. I don't really know if the PhB is suited to me, as I have no clue as to what my interests are (outside of international law, languages, philosophy, and literature), and don't want to graduate from the PhB program if I'm not really sure I want to go into academia.

Am I right in assuming that law is becoming, as time passes, more a stepping stone into other careers (eg journalism and politics), rather than a concrete pathway into law?

Thanks!
Monash Arts/Law

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
Re: Arts/Law and PhB - so many questions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:20:17 am »
+1
Hi everyone,

I received an ATAR of 98.00, so think I can get into the Arts/Law program at ANU, assuming the clearly-in doesn't move up too much from last year's 96 ATAR.

I'm interested in a variety of careers, such as law, foreign diplomacy, teaching, journalism, and lastly, a career as an academic.

As part of my Arts degree, I want to study Italian, and either literature or philosophy (assuming I can't do both as part of a double degree).

I'm leaning towards ANU over all the Victorian universities for arts/law at the moment, as I've heard good things about the philosophy, languages and international law faculties at ANU.

If I were to study a PhB (Arts), I would study literature, philosophy, Italian and maybe some international law.

1. Is a LLB/BA at ANU general enough to change career direction after I graduate?
2. Is the BA section of the Combined Law degree enough to get into a BA(Hons), and perhaps later,  a doctoral degree?
3. Is a law degree at ANU competitive here in Melbourne? I assume so (after reading the law stickies), but I'm worried, as ANU Law apparently marks quite harshly (not dissimilar to any other Go8 institution, I guess).
3. Can I get into the PhB with an ATAR of 98.00? I've heard that a negotiated offer is achievable with high 97s?
4. Do I need to know exactly what I'm interested in before enrolling in a PhB?
5. Can I move from a PhB to the LLB/BA if I don't satisfy the HD-requirement?
6. I'm not 18 till mid-2013, will this affect how much I get out of extra-curriculars on-campus significantly?

Basically, I'm most worried about being locked into not being able to pursue further study in the humanities, as the BA section might only be seen as an add-on to the law degree, perhaps not studying things as in depth as you would, say, in a BA or PhB.

I think if I don't do a law degree, I'd be leaning more towards doing a BA at Melbourne Uni, due to costs of accommodation, over the PhB. I don't really know if the PhB is suited to me, as I have no clue as to what my interests are (outside of international law, languages, philosophy, and literature), and don't want to graduate from the PhB program if I'm not really sure I want to go into academia.

Am I right in assuming that law is becoming, as time passes, more a stepping stone into other careers (eg journalism and politics), rather than a concrete pathway into law?

Thanks!

I can answer some questions about the PhB but I'm looking at doing PhB Science so you may need to talk to someone else about the Arts/Law side of things.

3(haha you have two number 3 questions...) - It is possible to get into the PhB with <99, but you need to have some kind of extracurricular stuff to help your case. I know for PhB Science there have been people accepted with <99 because they did extension programs or participated in science olympiads.

4 - I don't think so.. I know I'm not! If you have a basic idea then you can discuss it with your advisor to help plan your degree. The PhB is very flexible so I doubt you would need to have an exact idea of what you want to do from the beginning.

5 - Yeah that sounds perfectly reasonable IF you have fulfilled any requirements and prerequisites needed for the LLB/BA

In terms of accommodation, are you planning to live on campus? If so, ANU is cheaper than UoM.
But if you are planning on renting or living with family and so on then Melbourne would be cheaper
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU

Art Vandelay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:27:45 am »
I can answer some questions about the PhB but I'm looking at doing PhB Science so you may need to talk to someone else about the Arts/Law side of things.

3(haha you have two number 3 questions...) - It is possible to get into the PhB with <99, but you need to have some kind of extracurricular stuff to help your case. I know for PhB Science there have been people accepted with <99 because they did extension programs or participated in science olympiads.

4 - I don't think so.. I know I'm not! If you have a basic idea then you can discuss it with your advisor to help plan your degree. The PhB is very flexible so I doubt you would need to have an exact idea of what you want to do from the beginning.

5 - Yeah that sounds perfectly reasonable IF you have fulfilled any requirements and prerequisites needed for the LLB/BA

In terms of accommodation, are you planning to live on campus? If so, ANU is cheaper than UoM.
But if you are planning on renting or living with family and so on then Melbourne would be cheaper

Cheers for that! Good luck for next year :D
Monash Arts/Law

AllAboutTheLGs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Goon King
  • Respect: +16
  • School: Glen Waverley Secondary College
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:57:32 pm »
+1
I got an atar of 98.95 but I got an offer to do PhB so I think it's definitely possible as I didn't have any extra curricular activities.
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine at The University of Melbourne

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:17:40 pm »
I got an atar of 98.95 but I got an offer to do PhB so I think it's definitely possible as I didn't have any extra curricular activities.

Nice! Do you think you'll do it??
Did you get a phone call this morning?

ggxoxo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »
Nice! Do you think you'll do it??
Did you get a phone call this morning?

I got an email from the PhB office not a phone call

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:23:20 pm »
I got an email from the PhB office not a phone call

Yeah I got an email at about 4:30, but I got a phone call from Paula Newitt in the morning which was so unexpected, especially because I stayed at a friends house last night so I got hardly any sleep and woke up like 15 minutes before getting called haha...

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 09:34:36 pm »
+1
Will respond more in depth later when I'm not on a phone, but short answer is PhB is amazing and you should do it because it is the best undergrad degree on offer in Aus. You will probably get an offer with 99.00, but it'll probably be next year (arts and science work a bit differently, science is a lot more organized early on). Woo!
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

ggxoxo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:49:18 pm »
Apparently a GPA of 9 guarantees you MBBS after PhB but I have never heard of a GPA of 9- what type of marks do you need for GPA of 9???

AllAboutTheLGs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Goon King
  • Respect: +16
  • School: Glen Waverley Secondary College
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 09:51:38 pm »
I applied for the science one. Im not sure ATM just assessing all my options :) still don't know what the course entails and what the requirements for postgrad are. And I got an email from Paula I didn't receive the phone call cos im overseas ATM :)
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine at The University of Melbourne

Art Vandelay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 02:02:15 am »
Will respond more in depth later when I'm not on a phone, but short answer is PhB is amazing and you should do it because it is the best undergrad degree on offer in Aus. You will probably get an offer with 99.00, but it'll probably be next year (arts and science work a bit differently, science is a lot more organized early on). Woo!

My score was 98.00, not 99.00 :P
I've heard great things, but the safety of an arts/law course is so appealing haha
Is there a reliable way to transfer out of the PhB and into an Arts/Law course if I need to, since I'd have had the ATAR for it?
Thanks!
Monash Arts/Law