Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:58:20 am

Author Topic: TAFE to ANU, eligible for academic merit scholarship?  (Read 10572 times)  Share 

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: TAFE to ANU, eligible for academic merit scholarship?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 09:18:27 pm »
Nice, sounds like you're sorted!

Yeah there is a PhB camp at this place on the 15th, 16th and 17th of feb, which is after O-week but before classes start.
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:26 pm »
Awesome. How do you know all this stuff?
Tertiary Preparation Certificate, TAFE, 2012

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 09:38:35 pm »
Haha I think I've just accumulated knowledge from talking to the uni via email, reading the 2013 undergraduate guide, browsing the ANU website and looking around this forum.
There was info about the camp on the email I received from Paula Newitt prior to offers, it was in mid-late December.

My assistant, Sue Wigley, will be in touch with you toward the end of January to give you more information about the PhB course information session and the weekend camp we run for new PhB students. The camp will be held at ANU’s property at the coast at Kioloa (near Bateman’s Bay on the New South Wales coast) over the weekend February 15-17, just prior to the start of semester one. It is a great chance to meet new friends and learn a bit more about the PhB program. Science ANU pays all costs for this weekend excursion.

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »
Gee I wish I was more informed than I am. If you can't half tell I like to research and find out information (let's just say Google gets a daily workout).

Well it all sounds pretty great to me. Are you preparing in any way? Like reading on the subjects you'll likely take up?

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 10:03:27 pm »
+1
Well yeah I just browse around the ANU website and follow up anything that looks interesting.
An affinity for research is a valuable skill to have going into the PhB program! haha

Umm.. I've thought about my majors and what subjects I'll do (just browsing the course lists), but I haven't been looking too closely into the actual course material. I've also spent a bit of time researching and considering going on exchange in 2nd year. At this point in time the University of Copenhagen looks cool, mostly because I want to go to Denmark/Norway/Sweden and the University of Copenhagen is in the IARU with ANU, so that might be advantageous.

That reminds me, I came across this page about IARU internships (more info on what IARU is), one of which concerned infectious diseases, I think it was at Yale. Granted, it was from last year, but at least it gives you some idea of what to look for should you desire some international travel and study. It would definitely look good on your academic transcript haha ;)

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 09:25:48 pm »
That Yale internship sounds great. I'd love to study/work internationally.

When will you be moving up to Canberra?

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 12:46:01 am »
Fenner is open to students on the 9th and that's when I'll be going up there.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 09:32:55 am »
Well yeah I just browse around the ANU website and follow up anything that looks interesting.
An affinity for research is a valuable skill to have going into the PhB program! haha

Umm.. I've thought about my majors and what subjects I'll do (just browsing the course lists), but I haven't been looking too closely into the actual course material. I've also spent a bit of time researching and considering going on exchange in 2nd year. At this point in time the University of Copenhagen looks cool, mostly because I want to go to Denmark/Norway/Sweden and the University of Copenhagen is in the IARU with ANU, so that might be advantageous.

That reminds me, I came across this page about IARU internships (more info on what IARU is), one of which concerned infectious diseases, I think it was at Yale. Granted, it was from last year, but at least it gives you some idea of what to look for should you desire some international travel and study. It would definitely look good on your academic transcript haha ;)
I went to Copenhagen on exchange! (Third year, second semester.) You do get a bit of extra funding because it's an IARU member (well, I certainly did, though this was three years ago).

Bear in mind that Scandinavia is ridiculously expensive. The exchange rate is much better these days, however.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 11:46:34 am »
I went to Copenhagen on exchange! (Third year, second semester.) You do get a bit of extra funding because it's an IARU member (well, I certainly did, though this was three years ago).

Bear in mind that Scandinavia is ridiculously expensive. The exchange rate is much better these days, however.
Nice! Do you think it was worth it?
Also, when do you think would be the best time to go on exchange?
Did you do a full course load over there?
What was the uni like compared to Princeton? My original thoughts for exchange were either Scandinavia, US or UK.

Haha, I have lots of questions... I'm sure they could all be cleared up by talking to people at ANU, but it's cool that you went exactly where I want to go and have first hand experience.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 05:46:08 am »
Nice! Do you think it was worth it?
Personally, yes, but I had other reasons for going; I went to high school for a few years in Copenhagen, so it was partly an excuse to visit some old friends from there.

Also, when do you think would be the best time to go on exchange?
It depends very much on which courses are available at both ends. Most importantly, you want to avoid as much as possible missing courses at ANU that are prereqs for a lot of later courses (though sometimes you might get lucky and there'll be a similar course at your exchange university). You can't really go wrong with going on exchange the semester before you start Honours, as I did, but a lot of people prefer to go in second semester of second year or first semester of third year (while some people doing double degrees go on exchange in their fourth or fifth years!).

Did you do a full course load over there?
Kinda. I did a stand-alone ASC over there that actually counted for twice as many units as it would at ANU, so I was actually only taking two "normal" courses, which suited me fine. I actually went travelling around Europe the last few weeks of term and just emailed assignments in  ;)

What was the uni like compared to Princeton? My original thoughts for exchange were either Scandinavia, US or UK.
Impossible to compare; the Ivy League is something else altogether. But you have to bear in mind that there aren't really that many good universities to go on exchange to from ANU (and by good, I mean close to or better than ANU). In particular, ANU isn't an exchange partner with any of the Ivy Leagues, Stanford, or Oxbridge (except possibly with Oxford for postgraduate degrees, if memory serves). So Copenhagen is one of the best universities you could go on exchange to, the best being Berkeley. In the UK, the best you could go to are Manchester and Leeds, which are decent.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.