Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 12:15:20 am

Author Topic: ANU 2013 thread  (Read 9729 times)  Share 

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: ANU 2013 thread
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 01:40:18 am »
Just going to add, turns out PhB camp will be science-only this year, so I won't be meeting you guys there after all.  Oh well - hope the camp goes well! :D

Oh, damn. I was looking forward to meeting the PhB arts people. I'm sure we'll meet them at some other gathering.

Just a thought EZ, can you access video lectures for courses that you aren't doing? For example, I would be interested in some of the music composition or even some of the visual art lectures just out of interest, but I don't like strictly studying those things, I prefer to do it for fun in my spare time without the stress of assignments or exams.

If you can't get the videos, can you just show up to lectures for other courses? I would assume so...
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU

#1procrastinator

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:06 pm »
anyone going to that 'official welcome ceremony'?  is it worth going?

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 10:40:04 pm »
Oh, damn. I was looking forward to meeting the PhB arts people. I'm sure we'll meet them at some other gathering.

Just a thought EZ, can you access video lectures for courses that you aren't doing? For example, I would be interested in some of the music composition or even some of the visual art lectures just out of interest, but I don't like strictly studying those things, I prefer to do it for fun in my spare time without the stress of assignments or exams.

If you can't get the videos, can you just show up to lectures for other courses? I would assume so...

Yep you can! :)  Sometimes you might have to ask the lecturers' permission for videos though :)
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

#1procrastinator

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »
anyone know what the opening hours of the unilodge gym are? i was told it's open 7-7 on weekdays but i saw people working out in there when i arrived (well after 7pm)

#1procrastinator

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 02:32:38 pm »
anyone go to enrolment today?

EDIT: oh yeah, for PHYS1101, how do you get put into the honours pathway option?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:37:46 pm by #1procrastinator »

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 05:54:35 am »
+1
EDIT: oh yeah, for PHYS1101, how do you get put into the honours pathway option?
Back in my day, the HPO was replacement labs: you (and a couple of group members) got to design a lab to do over four weeks. I did a bottle rocket in PHYS1101 and a capacitor gun in PHYS1201. You didn't have to enroll in anything extra, you just got the choice to do different work during the semester.

That being said, they might have changed it since I took the class, which was 2007. Yeah, I'm really old... :(
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

#1procrastinator

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 10:23:38 pm »
Back in my day, the HPO was replacement labs: you (and a couple of group members) got to design a lab to do over four weeks. I did a bottle rocket in PHYS1101 and a capacitor gun in PHYS1201. You didn't have to enroll in anything extra, you just got the choice to do different work during the semester.

That being said, they might have changed it since I took the class, which was 2007. Yeah, I'm really old... :(

Thanks humph. Did you get to choose your groups?

Do you know if lectures are usually available for the math courses available online? It doesn't 'activity taped' for it on the timetable.

EDIT: Can we swap courses on ISIS as many times as we want (before the census date)?

EDIT 2: Haha, should it say I owe around three grand on the ISIS page? I DID apply for full HECS...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:14:18 pm by #1procrastinator »

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 12:26:22 pm »
+1
Thanks humph. Did you get to choose your groups?
Yep.

Do you know if lectures are usually available for the math courses available online? It doesn't 'activity taped' for it on the timetable.
Depends, but quite often they're not recorded for maths. The lecture notes will always be available online though.

EDIT: Can we swap courses on ISIS as many times as we want (before the census date)?
Yep.

EDIT 2: Haha, should it say I owe around three grand on the ISIS page? I DID apply for full HECS...
Ignore that, you don't have to pay it.
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

#1procrastinator

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »
Thanks humph. Hey, you took 'Philosophy of the Cosmos' right? What did you think of that? The page says assessment is based on 3 essays and participation - did you have to do any essays in class? And for participation (dumb question perhaps), that means participate in class discussions right?

Also...what would you say the ratio of females to males were in that course? :p

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 06:41:44 am »
Thanks humph. Hey, you took 'Philosophy of the Cosmos' right? What did you think of that? The page says assessment is based on 3 essays and participation - did you have to do any essays in class? And for participation (dumb question perhaps), that means participate in class discussions right?
Yep. It was a fun course; the lecturer was really good (I ended up doing an Advanced Studies Course with him the following semester). The essays weren't in class; you usually had about a week to do them. Participation is for the tutorials. You'll have some reading assigned each week, and you're supposed to discuss what you thought of it in the tutorials every week.

Also...what would you say the ratio of females to males were in that course? :p
Hah. Still pretty heavy on the guys, unfortunately. Though I can't remember too well; I didn't actually go to many of the classes. But I can't remember any girls in my tute (although I could be wrong; this was 5 years ago).
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

#1procrastinator

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 12:34:34 pm »
Yep. It was a fun course; the lecturer was really good (I ended up doing an Advanced Studies Course with him the following semester). The essays weren't in class; you usually had about a week to do them. Participation is for the tutorials. You'll have some reading assigned each week, and you're supposed to discuss what you thought of it in the tutorials every week.
Hah. Still pretty heavy on the guys, unfortunately. Though I can't remember too well; I didn't actually go to many of the classes. But I can't remember any girls in my tute (although I could be wrong; this was 5 years ago).

Ah, thanks again.
Yeah, the class list it stands is full of dudes this year too. Damn.

Did anyone go to the Intro to Physics & Astrophysics session? I missed it cause I went to bed at 7am....hope I didn't miss anything good.