Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:15:43 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Engineering(Computer and Network Engineering)  (Read 2907 times)  Share 

Mongaa

Bachelor of Engineering(Computer and Network Engineering)
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:38:31 pm »
Hey guys! I'm considering doing this course here and was wondering how it is? And also whether it holds for future job aspects and careers?

Mongaa

Re: Bachelor of Engineering(Computer and Network Engineering)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »
anyone?

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »
I don't actually do this course but I have friends that do it (so this is pretty much second-hand info) and they like really really love it!
But like everywhere they do have those really boring lecturers that just want to vomit out their information and get the hell out of that lecture theater! In terms of difficulty, it will pretty much depend on your level of maths...work hard in VCE and make maths your strong point!!!!! oh yes and physics as well!

In terms of job prospects (In Austrlia) here is a link!
http://joboutlook.gov.au/pages/occupation.aspx?code=2631&search=&Tab=prospects

....And the salary :P  (I know you wanna know! :P )
http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Systems_Engineer_(Computer_Networking_%2F_IT)/Salary

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

Mongaa

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:07:45 pm »
aha thank you for the input, I'm looking forward to it now, and btw I was actually thinking about doing it with a double degree with business management because I have heard that it can help you climb the ladder of hierarchy within an organisation much faster.  What do you think?

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:56:57 pm »
aha thank you for the input, I'm looking forward to it now, and btw I was actually thinking about doing it with a double degree with business management because I have heard that it can help you climb the ladder of hierarchy within an organisation much faster.  What do you think?

Ok, in order to climb the ladder of hierarchy one needs experience and knowledge (and probably connections but lets rule that out for now). Taking these into account completing a double degree with business management will only make your resume look great (this is a good thing though!) and it will give you the knowledge that will give you an advantage over your colleagues in the workforce BUT experience will take time so you can't rush that! However you would be able to do things that others without a degree in business management cannot do and hence that will lead to more experience and voila! Soon you will have both experience and knowledge!!! yeah! But then again life is a b*t$ch and you might end up having colleagues that also have a degree in buisness management (probably unlikely but I have heard that it is becoming more common for students to combine computer engineering with a buiness degree) If it comes down to that...then well, I guess its up to how much you love what you do!

But you should really only do it if you know you can handle it, I mean computer and network engineering and business management are 2 totally different things. BUT! On the plus side, if you can handle it then you will have qualifications in these two totally different professions and it will definitely make your resume a whole lot more appealing!

I really did mention a lot of "BUT" huh? haha :P

2013-2016:

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

Mongaa

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 11:19:07 pm »
That's exactly what I was thinking, and of course I do realize that you cannot simply rise in managerial positions without experience.  BUT, I did business management last year and ended up liking it and doing well in it so I guess that doing it won't do me any harm, and besides I can always drop it and continue doing just the engineering degree if I find that I am struggling to keep up.

And dw I love butts :) hahaha

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 07:12:59 am »
That's exactly what I was thinking, and of course I do realize that you cannot simply rise in managerial positions without experience.  BUT, I did business management last year and ended up liking it and doing well in it so I guess that doing it won't do me any harm, and besides I can always drop it and continue doing just the engineering degree if I find that I am struggling to keep up.

And dw I love butts :) hahaha

whoa, I never knew you could just drop one part of a double degree...learn something new every day!! Hahaha :)

2013-2016:

Mongaa

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:01:56 am »
Also, do you have an idea of what the timings for this course are? Or how many contact hours your friends have weekly?
Thanks

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:24:21 pm »
Also, do you have an idea of what the timings for this course are? Or how many contact hours your friends have weekly?
Thanks

Well as far as I know, my friends have to go to school 5 days a week (monday to friday, which is what most Engineering courses are like, except mine, Friday day off WOO! YEAH!) though they only have a one hour lecture on Thursday so sometimes they go to that and sometimes they don't and just stay home..
But yeah, this is about all I know in terms of times.
Hope I helped...somewhat :S

2013-2016:

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:49:12 pm »
Keep in mind that it's an engineering degree, so it will be a 4 year degree where you must also complete work placement (same for software engineering).

You might want to also look into a computer science degree (and Cisco certifications).
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein