Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:50:42 am

Author Topic: Commerce major that would best complement my engineering degree?  (Read 5582 times)  Share 

Kanye East

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
+3
Hi everyone,
This year I am doing Commerce/Engineering at Monash and I wanted to get an idea as to what major in the commerce degree would help maxmise job opportunity in the Engineering field.
I was thinking of majoring in Management studies (so it could possibly help with project management) or Finance. What are your thoughts?
If anyone is currently doing a com/eng degree or has completed it, what did you major in your commerce degree?
Hope you can help!
2011: Biology [41]
2012: English [40] Mathematical Methods [35] Chemistry [35] Physics [36] Physical Education [37]
ATAR: 94.05
2013: Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Commerce at Monash University

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Commerce major that would best complement my engineering degree?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:43:07 pm »
+2
Finance, accounting, economics or management. I'd rate the first 3 more than management mainly because management is something you can learn with experience.

Planck's constant

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:01:28 am »
+1
It's gotta be Finance.
Everything else a distant second.

Kanye East

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:44:48 am »
+1
Thanks guys! So I guess Finance would be the most useful,  how would it help me in the Engineering field? And also, what other career opportunities can a finance major lead me into?
2011: Biology [41]
2012: English [40] Mathematical Methods [35] Chemistry [35] Physics [36] Physical Education [37]
ATAR: 94.05
2013: Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Commerce at Monash University

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:13 am »
+1
Well, you might not have to do this yourself but the knowledge in finance would help you value projects - whether it's worth it for a company to proceed with a project, to compare the value that different projects will bring to the firm, to determine which projects or maybe which materials and products will be the most beneficial etc
Finance could lead you into the finance sector. Get into trading, banking, consulting etc the list is endless really.

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:41:37 pm »
+1
A Finance major coupled with an Engineering degree will put you ahead of many straight commerce kids that graduate should you wish to go into the world of Corporate Finance, Trading, Securities, Derivatives etc. IBs and big securities trading firms absolutely love grads with quant. skills.