Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:02:53 pm

Author Topic: Biomedicine  (Read 4839 times)  Share 

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Biomedicine
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:34:11 pm »
Just wondering how many people do biomedicine without doing a postgraduate eg just get a job after the 3 years?

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Biomedicine
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:52:57 pm »
+9
Just wondering how many people do biomedicine without doing a postgraduate eg just get a job after the 3 years?

I think this would be an impossible question to answer, might be a little difficult to find this kind of data as they would have to track every single graduate that leaves, somehow.

I'm not saying it cant be done, maybe they do a mass phone calls to all their past students every year but it would really be rather hard to get this kind of data.

So, we can't really offer much beyond anecdotes and speculation.

I'm in science and i do a major in the life sciences, so, its pretty similar in career prospects and options to any biomed graduate. The rough temperature i'm getting is a fair few want to go on to post grad, for various reasons too. When i ask people if they want to do honours, they usually say "yeah, maybe" or something like that. A few flat out say no but it seems heaps are considering it.

As for the reasons? I don't know. I feel like science & biomed are degrees people sometimes "stumble" into. They're generalist degrees so they're perfect for people who don't have much of a plan. Plenty of people think they have a plan and they're adamant about it but it might be seriously lacking in fine details or back-up options. That's why i think you get some ambiguity in generalist degrees, its just their nature. For example, i wanted to work in IT first so i took maths and IT in highschool. Changed my mind and found i loved biology, wanted to do medicine, changed my ideas accordingly. Realised i couldn't make it into medicine with how i was working so i'd figure i'd do science/biomed and get in that way. After a lot of serious thinking and discussion with a lot of people, i realised being a scientist is probably more towards what i want in life than being a doctor. So, just from my example, you see this kind of "stumbling". It's natural, it happens to almost everyone to one degree or another.

A lot of people are unsure or didn't really have a solid plan. They're in their degree because a) they hopefully like it b) they just kind of fell into it and linking into c) you're actually doing something, you're not sitting around home unemployed or something. I'm in my 3rd year now and a lot of people have been suddenly hit with the realisation this could be the last possible year of the "uni bubble" of not being technically unemployed, of not sitting on the couch all day, etc. 3 years really zooms by and the honeymoon is over. Lot of sudden thinking going on.

So, its not as planned as you might think. It would also depend on your major. If it was in something more obscure like developmental biology or neuroscience, it might be hard to get a job directly related to that with only a bachelors. You might be able to get some general "life-sciencey" type work or any number of other jobs. The university often tells you about these other jobs and i used to half ignore them and just think they were something they told everyone but now in my final year, i realise they are good, serious options. Things like generalist recruitment programs for example, a lot of government departments will take you if you have a degree, for many positions, it doesn't really matter what in. There are other heaps of things that aren't directly related to your degree but good jobs none the less.

I'd also like to stress, as much as we often think it, university is not a job factory. You're there to learn x, its not really streamlined in shuttling you into a particular career like a nursing degree might be. Generalist degrees, especially at higher up universities have some focus on employment but its basically general stuff. RMIT and possibly la trobe offer some streamlined options but they're of dubious benefit for getting a job in a crowded marketplace.

TL;DR Impossible to answer, we can only guess. Uni isn't a job factory, you're there to learn. Generalist degrees especially (BSc, Ba, BBiomed, etc) aren't tailored to shuttle you into a neat career package, they are what you make it. Jobs definitely out there, they might not always be 100% related to your degree (i.e. government work) but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lots of people use their degree as almost a procrastination method on life. There are plenty of options, masters, etc, maybe in a different field. It's never too late to switch and its OK to get a few years in and change your mind. 

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:47:02 pm »
I think this would be an impossible question to answer, might be a little difficult to find this kind of data as they would have to track every single graduate that leaves, somehow.

I'm not saying it cant be done, maybe they do a mass phone calls to all their past students every year but it would really be rather hard to get this kind of data.

I'm in science and i do a major in the life sciences, so, its pretty similar in career prospects and options to any biomed graduate. The rough temperature i'm getting is a fair few want to go on to post grad, for various reasons too. When i ask people if they want to do honours, they usually say "yeah, maybe" or something like that. A few flat out say no but it seems heaps are considering it.

As for the reasons? I don't know. I feel like science & biomed are degrees people sometimes "stumble" into. They're generalist degrees so they're perfect for people who don't have much of a plan. Plenty of people think they have a plan and they're adamant about it but it might be seriously lacking in fine details or back-up options. That's why i think you get some ambiguity in generalist degrees, its just their nature. For example, i wanted to work in IT first so i took maths and IT in highschool. Changed my mind and found i loved biology, wanted to do medicine, changed my ideas accordingly. Realised i couldn't make it into medicine with how i was working so i'd figure i'd do science/biomed and get in that way. After a lot of serious thinking and discussion with a lot of people, i realised being a scientist is probably more towards what i want in life than being a doctor. So, just from my example, you see this kind of "stumbling". It's natural, it happens to almost everyone to one degree or another.

A lot of people are unsure or didn't really have a solid plan. They're in their degree because a) they hopefully like it b) they just kind of fell into it and linking into c) you're actually doing something, you're not sitting around home unemployed or something. I'm in my 3rd year now and a lot of people have been suddenly hit with the realisation this could be the last possible year of the "uni bubble" of not being technically unemployed, of not sitting on the couch all day, etc. 3 years really zooms by and the honeymoon is over. Lot of sudden thinking going on.

So, its not as planned as you might think. It would also depend on your major. If it was in something more obscure like developmental biology or neuroscience, it might be hard to get a job directly related to that with only a bachelors. You might be able to get some general "life-sciencey" type work or any number of other jobs. The university often tells you about these other jobs and i used to half ignore them and just think they were something they told everyone but now in my final year, i realise they are good, serious options. Things like generalist recruitment programs for example, a lot of government departments will take you if you have a degree, for many positions, it doesn't really matter what in. There are other heaps of things that aren't directly related to your degree but good jobs none the less.

I'd also like to stress, as much as we often think it, university is not a job factory. You're there to learn x, its not really streamlined in shuttling you into a particular career like a nursing degree might be. Generalist degrees, especially at higher up universities have some focus on employment but its basically general stuff. RMIT and possibly la trobe offer some streamlined options but they're of dubious benefit for getting a job in a crowded marketplace.

TL;DR Impossible to answer, we can only guess. Uni isn't a job factory, you're there to learn. Generalist degrees especially (BSc, Ba, BBiomed, etc) aren't tailored to shuttle you into a neat career package, they are what you make it. Jobs definitely out there, they might not always be 100% related to your degree (i.e. government work) but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lots of people use their degree as almost a procrastination method on life. There are plenty of options, masters, etc, maybe in a different field. It's never too late to switch and its OK to get a few years in and change your mind. 

wow thank you !

Planck's constant

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:54:23 pm »
+2

You always deliver the goods, kingpomba