Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:23:28 am

Author Topic: Any ANU 2014 hopefuls here?  (Read 8573 times)  Share 

Kafka

• New South Welsh
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Any ANU 2014 hopefuls here?
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:40:14 am »
Hi guys! :) I'm from Sydney, and ANU seems to be where I'll end up next year! I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who is considering ANU as a prospective university for next year - there's a grand total of one person from my school for whom ANU is a possibility. ): I'd love to talk to anyone who might be going to ANU!

I'm very interested in the PhB Arts degree, although the BAdvComputing/BA double degree has also captured my attention. Anyone out there who might be in the same boat? :)

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
Re: Any ANU 2014 hopefuls here?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:42:18 pm »
I wanted to, and applied for the Tuckwell scholarship, but didn't get through first round. So basically right now the ANU looks expensive and far away. :P

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:05:20 pm »
There's a few of us on here at ANU currently, so if you have any questions just ask.

I wanted to, and applied for the Tuckwell scholarship, but didn't get through first round. So basically right now the ANU looks expensive and far away. :P
There's other scholarships too! :3

I'm very interested in the PhB Arts degree, although the BAdvComputing/BA double degree has also captured my attention. Anyone out there who might be in the same boat? :)
Do they offer a BAdvComputing/BA double degree? edit: Oh wait I forgot they're introducing the flexible double degrees thing next year. Anyway, if you're interested in the computing degrees the ANU computer science faculty pretty much has all their stuff publically accessible (lecture notes, lecture recordings for some classes too, assignments etc.) which is pretty neat. http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:41:22 pm »
Surely they'll give Lolly some money for scoring a 100 ATAR?  ::)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:03 pm »
Haha. In your dreams.

Kafka

• New South Welsh
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 06:22:00 pm »

I wanted to apply for that too, but I missed the deadline! I was so devastated ): I actually considered going to Melbourne University instead of ANU for a while because of this because there were more scholarships there, but I guess ANU just...roped me in. ;P It does look expensive, but I am fully willing to survive on peanuts and sunshine just to live on campus. Join meeeee. :D

There's a few of us on here at ANU currently, so if you have any questions just ask.
There's other scholarships too! :3
Do they offer a BAdvComputing/BA double degree? edit: Oh wait I forgot they're introducing the flexible double degrees thing next year. Anyway, if you're interested in the computing degrees the ANU computer science faculty pretty much has all their stuff publically accessible (lecture notes, lecture recordings for some classes too, assignments etc.) which is pretty neat. http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/

This forum seems to be the only place with active ANU students! Do you have any tips on making friends for an introvert? :P

Yeah, the flexible double degrees are being introduced next year. I was SO happy to hear this, because I thought I'd have to go to USyd after all to do linguistics/comp sci! :D I'm a bit sad though the PhB (Arts)/CompSci isn't an option. Oh well, can't have everything :)

mishamigo

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 06:55:01 pm »
I'm considering ANU for my undergrad- either BLaw/BArts or BLaw/BPsych! I'm from melbourne, but I have family in Canberra so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too expensive... Eek.   ::)
ATAR: 96.35
2012: Legal Studies (49)
2013: Literature (39), Psychology (42), Further Maths (42), Health and Human Development (38), Maths Methods (CAS) (31)
2014: BA/LLB (Monash)

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »
 Are any of your parents like mine and go on about the cost of living and how you'd never be able to earn enough to eat and pay rent and how there are plenty of good universities here in Melbourne and why would you want to go somewhere so far away from your family and how would you cope on your own...? :P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:04:32 pm by lollymatron »

Kafka

• New South Welsh
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 07:31:43 pm »
I'm considering ANU for my undergrad- either BLaw/BArts or BLaw/BPsych! I'm from melbourne, but I have family in Canberra so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too expensive... Eek.   ::)

Super excited to hear that another person is considering ANU! Join me there next year! :D You're lucky that you have family in Canberra. Will you be living with them, or on campus?

Are any of your parents like mine and go on about the cost of living and how you'd never be able to earn enough to eat and pay rent and how there are plenty of good universities here in Melbourne and why would you want to go somewhere so far away from your family and how would you cope on your own...? :P

My mother is like that! She's worried about me leaving home, because I'm prone to cooking disasters, getting lost in foreign places, not waking up in the morning, and other little disasters that will make living alone hard for me ): Fortunately, we agree that leaving home is an invaluable experience that can't be bought by any measurable amounts of money. ;P

Why do you want to go to ANU?

siddhartharora

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:57:33 pm »
G'day! Yep, I'm considering ANU for Commerce. Two reasons (first is stronger than second)

1. Prerequisites. Here in Vic, if you want to do Commerce, need Methods, haven't done it, not wanting to do a bridging course or transfers between degrees. ANU has a reasonable ATAR requirement, with 'assumed knowledge'.

2. The AFL State sucks! I'm an ex-NSWelsher (moved to Vic in 2011), so would absolutely love to either go Canberra, or possibly Sydney (another preference, Commerce at Macquarie).

What's the atmosphere like at the ANU Campus?

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 12:52:21 am »
This forum seems to be the only place with active ANU students! Do you have any tips on making friends for an introvert? :P
Stay at one of ANU's residential halls, I found it made it virtually effortless to make friends just because there's so many people around (rent is fairly reasonable too, at a couple of the halls anyway...). Or even just in class, talk to people before/after lectures etc. I've found the vast majority of people to be pretty friendly here. I guess there's all the clubs and stuff too. Sport is probably a convenient way to make friends too, if that's your thing.

Yeah, the flexible double degrees are being introduced next year. I was SO happy to hear this, because I thought I'd have to go to USyd after all to do linguistics/comp sci! :D I'm a bit sad though the PhB (Arts)/CompSci isn't an option. Oh well, can't have everything :)
If I'm not mistaken the 'R&D' degrees are the engineering/computer science equivalent of the PhB degrees for arts and science. Looks like you can combine Advanced Computing (R&D) (Hons) and regular Arts looking at the flexible degrees page, so I guess whilst it's not linguisitics it's something.

1. Prerequisites. Here in Vic, if you want to do Commerce, need Methods, haven't done it, not wanting to do a bridging course or transfers between degrees. ANU has a reasonable ATAR requirement, with 'assumed knowledge'.
I'm not sure. You probably should treat assumed knowledge as assumed knowledge. I'd be inclined to say that lecturers will just probably carry on their merry way assuming you have the assumed knowledge. It's only a convenience that it's not made a strict prerequisite. You'll want to check if the stuff you need to know is stuff you can learn on the spot.

I can really only speak for first year maths/physics, so it's probably best to ask someone that's done commerce or maybe email some of the ANU lecturers (if you look up the course handbook thing on the ANU site, look for the first year commerce subjects and it usually lists the academic contacts for that subject) and ask if they think you'll cope without that knowledge.

What's the atmosphere like at the ANU Campus?
There's ducks, lots of green areas and trees.

mishamigo

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 10:01:53 pm »
Super excited to hear that another person is considering ANU! Join me there next year! :D You're lucky that you have family in Canberra. Will you be living with them, or on campus?
With them, for first year at least. After that, I'll consider my options- rent, share house, on campus etc.
ATAR: 96.35
2012: Legal Studies (49)
2013: Literature (39), Psychology (42), Further Maths (42), Health and Human Development (38), Maths Methods (CAS) (31)
2014: BA/LLB (Monash)

abcdqd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:34 pm »
only if i get the tuckwell scholarship! i don't think even the national scholarship (12.5k/year) is enough to warrant going there, since my course (actuarial studies) can also be done at unimelb. does anyone know how much it costs to live in the residential halls?
2012-2013: VCE, Melbourne High School

2014-2016: Bachelor of Commerce, Actuarial Studies, University of Melbourne

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 10:21:02 pm »
only if i get the tuckwell scholarship! i don't think even the national scholarship (12.5k/year) is enough to warrant going there, since my course (actuarial studies) can also be done at unimelb. does anyone know how much it costs to live in the residential halls?

Is ANU acturial that good? So good that it warrants a move interstate? Anyway you should get the tuckwell scholarship :)

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 04:21:59 am »
http://accom.anu.edu.au/UAS/3085/version/1/part/4/data/ANUHallsCollegeLodgeFeeSummary2013-updated%202013.pdf?branch=main&language=default. All the info on the ANU site should update to 2014 stuff once mid-year applications are done with.

Fenner and B&G are the cheapest, $180 per week.

I will say if you're even thinking about ANU it doesn't hurt to apply. I applied to UAC in August just for the sake of it, and I really should have applied for accommodation around then too. I figured I'd never actually go to ANU or move interstate, so I never bothered with it. The accommodation application is fairly straight forward and doesn't cost anything to fill out. Definitely get around to it early just to get it out of the way and stuff.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:00:01 am by laserblued »