Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:58:39 am

Author Topic: Racism in Australia  (Read 11223 times)  Share 

Anonymous

Racism in Australia
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »
Hi guys,
this one has been on my mind for some time
how do you manage to cope with racism?
im not being ignorant myself by labeling all white people as being racist (I know for certain everyone can be racist) but sadly most racists who i come across are white.
also the topic of reverse racism? isnt that just stupid....like how can a white person get to be a victim of racism if they're the majority that's in power and enjoy certain 'white privileges'?

Does racism affect your student/academic life? Would you have a better VCE years if you were white Australian (this question mainly targets the public school going ethnic students)?
again, this is not a slander on all white people
i've met plenty of caucasians who treated me with respect and dignity
your thoughts?

I understand that this is a sensitive issue....But i've felt the harsh realities of racism in my life as a young dark skinned teenager and let me tell you it does scar you for life :(

Anonymous

Re: A sensitive topic
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:36:47 pm »
Hi guys,
im not being ignorant myself by labeling all white people as being racist (I know for certain everyone can be racist) but sadly most racists who i come across are white.
also the topic of reverse racism? isnt that just stupid....like how can a white person get to be a victim of racism if they're the majority that's in power and enjoy certain 'white privileges'?

Does racism affect your student/academic life? Would you have a better VCE years if you were white Australian (this question mainly targets the public school going ethnic students)?
again, this is not a slander on all white people
i've met plenty of caucasians who treated me with respect and dignity
your thoughts?

I understand that this is a sensitive issue....But i've felt the harsh realities of racism in my life as a young dark skinned teenager and let me tell you it does scar you for life :(

I emphasise with how you feel. Buying saying "also the topic of reverse racism? isnt that just stupid....like how can a white person get to be a victim of racism if they're the majority that's in power and enjoy certain 'white privileges'?". Is very ignorant.

I'm Caucasian but have encountered quite a bit of discrimination in my lifetime. Also there are no "white privileges" this isn't 1940, there are no special clubs that only white people are allowed.

Most racists hopefully would realise one day how wrong they are when they come into contact with people who they were ignorant about in the past which has happened before.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:46:41 pm »
This question is soo trivial
This is what BARACK OBAMA had to say about racist white people:
"There are white folks, and then there are ignorant motherfuckers like [insert name here]."
so don't go on blaming 'whitey' for all your problems ;)

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:01:23 pm »
I'm sorry to hear you've been subject to racism. It's really one of the most vile things that a man can do. The best way I've found to deal with it is to just remind yourself that they're scumbag nobodies and that what they have to say about you is absolute bullshit. Because any racial insult is. I think that generally, this embodies the correct response:

Honestly, it shouldn't really affect your VCE. Your scores are ultimately about you, not what anyone has to say about you - even if it is very insulting.

As to the 'reverse racism' stuff, this isn't the imaginary non-existing tumblr world.

Racism is a terrible thing, no matter who's subjected to it. To be honest, this "privilege" stuff is complete bullshit. Even if one has been subject to racial abuse by a member of the majority, that does not give them the right to abuse other members of the majority. Two wrongs certainly do not make a right, especially not when dealing with something like this. This isn't the case of opposing systematic institutionalised racism - this is not the case in Australia. At worst, we have to deal with some dickheads who have nothing better to do. Your race does not determine the opportunities available to you in life.

The only exception to that is racial discrimination which serves a legitimate purpose, such as positive discrimination. Even then, it needs to be reasonable and narrowly tailored.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:06:17 pm »
This question is soo trivial
This is what BARACK OBAMA had to say about racist white people:
"There are white folks, and then there are ignorant motherfuckers like [insert name here]."
so don't go on blaming 'whitey' for all your problems ;)

If someone feels strongly enough about the topic that they choose to post anonymously about it in a forum dedicated to support, then it is not up to you to call it trivial.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:16:47 pm »
If someone feels strongly enough about the topic that they choose to post anonymously about it in a forum dedicated to support, then it is not up to you to call it trivial.

exactly. this is something which has clearly effected the OP

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:56:35 am »
I don't know about at other schools, but at mine it doesn't seem like a problem. I'm a Muslim at a catholic school (yes weird combination but my step dad works at my school, so we discounts, haha) and everyone's fine with it.

My school has a strong focus on reconciliation between different ethnic groups and there are many ethnic groups at my school. There's Muslims, Jews, Mormons, various Asian, islander, various middle eastern, indigenous Australians, there's probably more but I can't think of them all. Our school gets us involved to promote not tolerating racism and I think that's why we get along so well is that everyone is so understand of each other.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 10:19:20 am »
Hi guys,
Hi
also the topic of reverse racism? isnt that just stupid....like how can a white person get to be a victim of racism
tbh this is on the supportive board not the rants and debate one, so i cant really speak my mind here, but white people can be a huge victim of racism, in my entire schooling life, i have copped more shit for being white than any of my indian/lankan/viet/chinese/sudanese friends

they're the majority that's in power and enjoy certain 'white privileges'?

i find this really hard to believe, i have missed out on volunteering opportunities/work experience/(arguably) scholarships (long story, this isnt the thread for this),  because im white, i have had people say to me "were about diversity and multi culturalism etc" so they take on people of non caucasian ethnicities to promote the idea that theyre multi cultural etc. and in terms of workplaces and stuff at my fathers work he is the only caucasian in his team of 8 at a highly competitive financial services company, and in the professional world if someones racist you can sue them or theyll get fired or something, isnt it a law now not to discriminate in the workplace?

Does racism affect your student/academic life?
at my old school everyone used to be racist to everyone so we all copped shit from white trash to c**** muncher to ones i shouldnt say on the boards LOL didnt really effect anyone people used to brush it off, and when a really really malicious thing would happen from junkies on the bus or something or a kids angry parent, people got over it because the really racist types are pretty pathetic people tbh and their opinion isnt even valid, celebrate your multiculturalism
im sorry you have experienced that and feel that way

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 03:28:18 pm »
Exactly.

Anyone claiming to be a victim of institutionalised racism in Australia is just looking for excuses (with perhaps the exception of Aboriginals). At worst you may be subjected to stupid remarks by stupid people - and most likely it's a tasteless joke - but you're not being disadvantaged in any way by it. This whole "privilege" crap is a byproduct of internet liberals who've never visited the real world - especially in Australia.

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 03:35:20 pm »
(Should clarify that yes, while I am aware that the idea of white privilege has been around for much longer than the internet, it has experienced a resurgence in popularity recently. And while it may be applicable in some societies (US), it's not really relevant in Australia.)

MonsieurHulot

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 04:02:17 pm »
Exactly.

Anyone claiming to be a victim of institutionalised racism in Australia is just looking for excuses (with perhaps the exception of Aboriginals). At worst you may be subjected to stupid remarks by stupid people - and most likely it's a tasteless joke - but you're not being disadvantaged in any way by it. This whole "privilege" crap is a byproduct of internet liberals who've never visited the real world - especially in Australia.
Right because you've experienced every institution in Australia and can therefore make that claim.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 06:18:02 pm »
Right because you've experienced every institution in Australia and can therefore make that claim.

The word Institutionalized has nothing to do with specific "institutions"

MonsieurHulot

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 01:09:54 pm »
The word Institutionalized has nothing to do with specific "institutions"
You're right; it has to do with institutions and culture as a whole. I don't think that Polonium, or if that's you, can negate anyone's personal experience with your own experience, which is unlikely to be much more comprehensive.

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 03:21:45 pm »
I think you should  channel your anger towards your study. Use it as a tool, don't let it bear you down. If there is someone who is racist and better than you at school, use him as a benchmark or a goal that you need to cross. Work hard, people might stereotype you as a ' black nerd' but take the argument to your successes in school, don't reply with racism your self. Now don't get me wrong, im not encouraging you to become a 'show off', but use it to your advantage. I know people that have wrote pieces on the racism they encountered and scored greatly on it.
Or use Dr. G's approach and think in your head...."i can kill you"  :).

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 10:37:06 pm »
You're right; it has to do with institutions and culture as a whole. I don't think that Polonium, or if that's you, can negate anyone's personal experience with your own experience, which is unlikely to be much more comprehensive.
Nope, I would never write institutionalised with a z. :P

That's precisely my point, actually. I never suggested that racism has been completely eradicated, nor am I going to question OP's experience - my point was that cases of racism are limited to the individual level, rather than being a real societal issue in Australia. People of different races do have equality of opportunity - this board is a fine example of that. Therefore, it's not really right to suggest "white privilege" nor that racism towards Whites is justified in any way.

I don't think this discussion is benefitting anyone, and is probably inappropriate here.