Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:14:35 pm

Author Topic: Maths 3A/3B  (Read 54323 times)  Share 

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: Maths 3A/3B
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2016, 06:16:09 pm »
Hi i was wondering if i could get help with these questions please.
I've tried to do them multiple times with no success

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2016, 06:38:53 pm »

For Question 15, consider the formulae for arithmetic series (\(T_n=a+(n-1)d\)), and geometric series (\(T_n=ar^{n-1}\)). You have two terms for certain, and so can solve for a and d (or a and r). That will let you find x.

Question 13, graph on the right is easier, by how much does each term increase by the one before it? First term is 5, second term is 8, third term is 11, what's the difference there? That will let you find a. The graph on the left is similar, but perhaps trickier, what number are you multiplying by each time?

Question 10, you have:

Then, use the given term to solve for k, and then use that value to solve for the 21st term ;D

Your final question:

You have there a set of simultaneous, that will let you find your missing values! ;D

Most of these questions are fairly standard applications of the same principle: Using the equations and solving simultaneously. Are those equations something you are familiar with and/or do you need help understanding them at all?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 06:40:07 pm »

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:51:32 pm by jamonwindeyer »

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2016, 06:55:38 pm »
thank you very much for your help jamonwindeyer and RuiAce  ;D
I really appreciate it :)

For Question 15, consider the formulae for arithmetic series (\(T_n=a+(n-1)d\)), and geometric series (\(T_n=ar^{n-1}\)). You have two terms for certain, and so can solve for a and d (or a and r). That will let you find x.

Question 13, graph on the right is easier, by how much does each term increase by the one before it? First term is 5, second term is 8, third term is 11, what's the difference there? That will let you find a. The graph on the left is similar, but perhaps trickier, what number are you multiplying by each time?

Question 10, you have:

Then, use the given term to solve for k, and then use that value to solve for the 21st term ;D

Your final question:

You have there a set of simultaneous, that will let you find your missing values! ;D

Most of these questions are fairly standard applications of the same principle: Using the equations and solving simultaneously. Are those equations something you are familiar with and/or do you need help understanding them at all?

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 09:20:39 pm »
I was wondering i am not getting the correct answer for q13b. I did 2×19?
I am a bit confused about the simultaneous equations.
Also how do you do q4b?

Question 10, you have:

Your final question:

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2016, 10:10:05 pm »
I was wondering i am not getting the correct answer for q13b. I did 2×19?
I am a bit confused about the simultaneous equations.
Also how do you do q4b?

13B is an arithmetic progression, you aren't multiplying, you are adding! Try and see how much is added each time! ;D

4B is a little weird, but it is just a slight re-work of the same method you used in Part A. Just take a new form of the equations you solved in Part A, this time considering \(r^n\) in the equation, instead of \(r^{n-1}\).

Solve those and you'll have the new form of your answer! ;D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 12:01:48 am »
I am confused on how to use the given term to solve for k, and then using that value to solve for the 21st term for q10?

I also tried q4b and was wondering is there a quicker way to do it than what ive done?
I also got the answer wrong for some reason?

I also wanted to ask for q17 im confused from where do I start counting the terms? I always seem to have trouble knowing when to start and end where i am required to count for questions like this  :'(
 I'm sorry for asking for so many questions.

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 11:15:53 pm »
I was wondering am I doing q2 right? I didnt get the right answer and Im not sure how to do q3.

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2016, 11:17:37 pm »
The file was too large.question pic

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2016, 11:42:05 pm »
I am confused on how to use the given term to solve for k, and then using that value to solve for the 21st term for q10?

Sorry I missed this earlier:

Pop that into a similar expression for the 21st term ;D

I also tried q4b and was wondering is there a quicker way to do it than what ive done?
I also got the answer wrong for some reason?

Check your working, you use the correct \(ar^n\) at the start then swap back to \(ar^{n-1}\), carry the first one all the way through. Method is correct though :)

I also wanted to ask for q17 im confused from where do I start counting the terms? I always seem to have trouble knowing when to start and end where i am required to count for questions like this  :'(

This one is a little confusingly worded! The trick is to write out explanations until you see the pattern.

First term is 20 days before
Second term is 19 days before
Third term is 18 days before
Twentieth term is 1 day before

So the sequence has 20 terms, you are summing 20 terms and finding the value of the 20th term :)

I was wondering am I doing q2 right? I didnt get the right answer and Im not sure how to do q3.

You uploaded the working twice, just show me the question when you can :)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2016, 01:29:09 am »
Here are the questions  :)
I was also wondering when would my responses for english be marked? Im stressing out because i have only one day before my test on Friday

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2016, 07:27:39 am »
+1
I was also wondering when would my responses for english be marked? Im stressing out because i have only one day before my test on Friday

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:08 am »

I'm about to do a marking session, so imminently ;) understand that we are uni students though, we never delay marking more than we need to, but we have assignments and lectures and other stuff that we have to do as well. Point being, if you are stressed, you need to give us more time than 24 hours for turnaround, we won't always be able to get it done immediately :) plus that means you have more than one night to improve it, which is good for you too :)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2016, 09:26:50 am »
I'm sorry for being inconsiderate  :(

I'm about to do a marking session, so imminently ;) understand that we are uni students though, we never delay marking more than we need to, but we have assignments and lectures and other stuff that we have to do as well. Point being, if you are stressed, you need to give us more time than 24 hours for turnaround, we won't always be able to get it done immediately :) plus that means you have more than one night to improve it, which is good for you too :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2016, 09:29:11 am »
I'm sorry for being inconsiderate  :(

No no don't apologise, totally not necessary! Just know that we'll always get it done ASAP for you, but that won't always be within 24 hours, just keep it in mind for when you get feedback in the future because I'd hate to not be able to help you out ;D