Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:53:18 am

Author Topic: Business Management or Legal Studies?  (Read 10460 times)  Share 

Yacoubb

Business Management or Legal Studies?
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:28:44 pm »
hey guys :)
I have a friend who is going to be picking up Business Management or Legal Studies next year, and they're a bit unsure. She'll be doing the following subjects:
- English
- Methods
- Chemistry
- Physics
(and completing Biology 3+4 this year in year 11).

She wants something with a workable load and one that she can look at doing whilst not having to memorise too much + enjoy. It is an outlier subject - however, she wants to do one of these two due to enjoyment & also because she wants to do the 6 subjects.

Suggestions would be great + much appreciated!

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +29
Re: Business Management or Legal Studies?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:40:07 pm »
Well I'm also only doing legal this year so I can't tell you much about BM. But from what I've heard from other people and from looking at the past exams (i was thinking of maybe doing it next year), it seems very similar to legal in that you have to write a lot and it seems like a lot of memorising.
What M_BONG said is pretty much right, legal isn't much of a analytical subject as such, you just need to understand the content and basically memorise stuff. I guess it just comes down to what your friend is interested in. And although legal does have a  lot of memorisation, it's pretty simple as long as you work smart and keep to the key points.
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017

stupidfurther

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: -15
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:04:37 am »
Do Legal.

I do Bus Man and I HATE IT SO MUCH. Nothing is worse than Bus Man. Nothing. Not only do you have to memorise boring crap from the textbook that is all COMMON SENSE, you also need to know stuff outside of the textbook, and read the newspapers to broaden your horizon on businesses around the world.

Oh, and it scales down by like 2 points.

WORST

SUBJECT

EVER.

CH3ezEC4KE

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Berwick
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:29:34 am »
Personally legal. I put in a similar amount of effort for both (minimal, maybe an hour a week), memorised everything for both and got raw scores that were similar. But as was said business management got scaled to 39.4 from 42, and legal stayed at 41. Also I find that business management answers can be a lot more broad, whereas legal is easier because it is almost set answers.
2012-Legal Studies-(41), Business Management-(42)
2013-2017- BBus (Management)/BBus (Marketing)

2014- Monash University Elite Athlete Program/Monash Sport Scholarship Recipient

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:38:00 pm »
Okay, I've never done busman and I never would've considered it, but it sort of depends I guess..
I have a friend who is going to be picking up Business Management or Legal Studies next year, and they're a bit unsure. She'll be doing the following subjects:
- English
- Methods
- Chemistry
- Physics

She wants something with a workable load and one that she can look at doing whilst not having to memorise too much + enjoy. It is an outlier subject - however, she wants to do one of these two due to enjoyment & also because she wants to do the 6 subjects.

Ok, so looking at her subjects, I guess she's gonna be having a lot of work to do next year! The fact that she wants a workable load should also be considered...
I LOVE legal studies, no doubt about that, and I'm doing better than I anticipated, which is always good. However, it requires a lot of work if you're aiming to do well. I'd probably say that it is the subject I need to prepare the most for before sacs, due to the different types of questions that can get asked and the command terms, along with a lot of memorisation.
If I had the chance to choose my subjects again, purely for the sake of having a lower workload, I wouldn't choose legal. Because it takes up a lot of my time and there's subjects that don't use up as much time, you know?
My friend is doing both business and legal, and from what I've noticed she spends WAY more time on legal, but she's doing tonnes better in business.. Yes, business scales down, but if you do well it won't or it will by only a few decimal points, so don't take scaling into consideration! I haven't done business personally, and apparently it's not the most interesting subject. However, each to their own I guess, because my friend absolutely LOVES it!
I guess it really depends. I love legal though, and like cheezecake said, it is almost set answers, because there's only so many questions that can be asked in so many ways, so I generally just need to memorise my answers to practice exam questions and I'm set!
Good luck helping her! :)
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

Age991

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 07:47:17 pm »
Legal hands down.
The content's far more interesting, and this rewarding when you do well. Bus man's so easy to get good sac marks for that it's easy to get complacent and think it'll be the same in the exam which can screw you over a bit

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:11:13 pm »
- English
- Methods
- Chemistry
- Physics

I take both, and find Business to be easier. This is simply due to the fact that it does not involve a lot of analysis, just learning facts and definitions. Legal Studies has far more interesting course content, but it involves a lot of different things that need to be remembered and then analysed (strengths and weaknesses of just about everything)
If I had to choose a subject based on enjoyment, I would choose Legal. If I had to choose based on what is easier, then Business without a doubt. This could be completely different for some people :)
2012: Psychology
2013: Media, English, Legal Studies, Business Management, Food Tech

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:03:11 pm »
Seems like a lot of people like legal..
I'm finishing Busman 3/4 this year and I'd say Busman is better because it's not too hard and I enjoy business studies but it depends on the person. Supposedly legal has a lot more memorization and is harder
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash