Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:36:12 am

Author Topic: Engineering Advice  (Read 30823 times)  Share 

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Engineering Advice
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:06:46 pm »
+13
I recently got a PM asking a lot of things pertaining to UoM Engineering, so I thought I'd spread my advice here.

What are all the subjects have you taken so far and what will you be taking next semester?

First year:
PHYC10003 - Physics 1
MAST10006 - Calculus 2
ENGR10004 - ESD1
ECON10004 - Introductory Microeconomics
PHYC10004 - Physics 2: Physical Science and Tech
MAST10007 - Linear Algebra
ENGR10003 - ESD2
CHEM10003 - Chemistry 1

Second year:
ELEN20005 - Foundations of Electrical Networks (Summer)
COMP20005 - Engineering Computation
ENGR20004 - Engineering Mechanics
MAST20029 - Engineering Mathematics
FNCE10001 - Finance 1
COMP20003 - Algorithms and Data Structures (Overloaded)
ELEN30011 - Electrical Device Modelling
ELEN30012 - Signals and Systems
MCEN30018 - Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics
ECON10003 - Introductory Macroeconomics

Third Year:
ELEN30009 - Electrical Network Analysis and Design
ELEN30010 - Digital Systems Design
MCEN30016 - Mechanical Dynamics
MCEN30017 - Mechanics and Materials
FNCE20001 - Business Finance
MCEN30014 - Mechanical Design

I'm thinking of doing the minimum amount of breadth. I did two level 1 breadth this year, Sports Coaching and Intro to Climate Change, and will most likely do another level 1 and a level 2 over the next 2 years. When you chose breadth did you look specifically for 'easy' subjects that were not that 'taxing'? So many of the breadth subjects have very long written pieces for assessment, which I'd prefer not to do seeing as I wouldn't score all to well. I want to find breadth subjects that I can get a high mark in, and if they don't require that much effort that would be a bonus. Which of your breadth would you recommend for others to do?

Personally, I chose breadths to benefit my future career, and did commerce subjects. Considering I'm paying $1000 a subject, I didn't really want to waste that. I did however, want to choose more mathematically inclined subjects (although first year commerce maths is a joke compared to Science mathematics). I would recommend something that you find interesting. You'll probably do better in it than something you're doing for an "easy" H1.

Is it true that only 2nd and 3rd year results count?

For entry into the Master of Engineering, yes. First year is mostly getting acclimatised to university life, and employers take not of that. It is better to get constantly good marks throughout your degree, which includes first year.

For my science electives in yr 2/3, should I be looking to incorporate IT subjects as much as I can? My ESD2 demonstrator (who finished his masters last year) mentioned that he hadn't taken a formal IT subject, he just taught learned it all it by himself, which didn't turn out too well in a job interview when he was asked technical questions specifically IT related. Which IT subjects would you recommend for 2nd/3rd year?

I think that computing is becoming increasingly fundamental to various streams of engineering. However, I don't think you should take IT for the sake of taking it. I'm taking computing subjects (not anymore after 2nd year), because they are interesting to me. I do see the benefit of taking these subjects for my various engineering courses.
I recommend: Object Oriented Software Development over Alg and DS just from friends opinions. It seems a little more useful.
You have to do Eng Comp which is extremely fun! Make sure you do it in first semester so you get Alistair Moffat, he is awesome!

I noticed that you have been doing both electrical and mechanical systems majors this semester. When you finish your science degree will it be a double major? Which master are you planning to do (if you are doing one)? So will you be finishing your tertiary studies in 4.5 years rather that 5 by overloading?

UoM doesn't recognise double majors. So, I'll probably take MCEN30014 Mechanical Design at Monash and finish in June with a Mechanical Systems, and complete a Master of Engineering (Mech Sys). Ill still finish my tertiary studies in 5 years, since I'll be taking that 6 months off to get work full time and to travelling with some mates.

With regards to vacation work (in the summer or whenever), how important to you think it is to get that sort of experience during undergrad? Have you done any yet or will the 'vision-based tracking...' during the summer be your first? Could you tell me a little about that research experience you will be doing.

In the engineering industry, it is VITAL you get work experience before you graduate in your fifth year. Internships are usually open only to penultimate students (4th year going to 5th year) but some companies open their vacation work over summer for lower students. The earlier you can get any form of professional experience, the better. It'll give you excellent practical experience and you won't look like a book work that only studies.

In regards to me getting experience in my undergrad, I've just finished 2nd year today, and there is small, small chance of getting any work without nepotism after your first year because you don't know jack about proper engineering. For me, this is my first stint at engineering work. This industrial robotics project is my first, and I'll be assisting a research team with computer programming and hardware tests apparently for 12 weeks, which should be really fun!

I hope I answered all you're questions adequately.

Cheers,
Hancock
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
Re: Engineering Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:34:09 pm »
No that's awesome! I don't know much about the Civil major through the B.Envs at all.

2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University

bonappler

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:42:06 pm »
I want to do Engineering at Melbourne (tossing up between Mechanical and Civil) but I'm a bit apprehensive when I hear about the job outlook for engineers today. Would you be guaranteed a job after you finish your Masters? Is there anything you can do to increase the probability of getting a job? By the way that Industrial Robotics Project sounds so cool.

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 07:43:49 pm »
+1
I want to do Engineering at Melbourne (tossing up between Mechanical and Civil) but I'm a bit apprehensive when I hear about the job outlook for engineers today. Would you be guaranteed a job after you finish your Masters? Is there anything you can do to increase the probability of getting a job? By the way that Industrial Robotics Project sounds so cool.

You should be fine with either of those majors.  Get decent grades, make sure you get work experience in your final summer.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 04:47:05 pm »
Basically, work experience is king once your average is above 70+. Unless you're going for a super competitive grad program or trying to get a job internationally, you shouldn't be overly apprehensive if you have a couple of vac works (at least 1) and a decent GPA.

bonappler

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:21:35 pm »
Alright, thanks for your help.

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:59 pm »
+1
Hey Hancock!
I'm just thinking you might be a good source of advice here. I'm starting a BSc @ UniMelb this year, I want to pursue mathematics, and I want to fill my breadth with Eco/Finance.

Where you come in: I'm tempted to do some Engineering subjects (because I have no idea what other science electives I would do first year). Would this be a bad decision if I'm not actually pursuing them any further?

For sure, I'll keep the option open to perhaps continue in later years whatever science(s) I end up choosing (in case I get over my disinterest towards bio/phys/chem), but I daresay my second and third years will be 6 maths and 2 commerce. With this in mind, would you recommend/discourage engineering or any other sciences? I'll probably end up doing Physics because I did it at school, and Engineering because it's related, but they don't seem like overwhelmingly strong reasons.

Anyways, thanks for any help you can provide.

Alrighty, well if you have some spare science electives in first year, I highly suggest you take ESD2. DO NOT TAKE ESD1 UNLESS YOU ARE ENTERTAINING THE IDEA OF GOING INTO CHEMICAL ENGINEERING. ESD1 is a communication-y sort of subject where you learn about safety in engineering case studies, chemical engineering principles of fluid mechanics and an introduction to computer algorithms and MATLAB. It's not necessary to do ESD1 before ESD2, but you will need to read up a little on MATLAB before heading in.

The problem is that you aren't actually going to complete any more engineering in 2nd year and 3rd year. Engineering gets much more interesting in later years, especially after you specialize into your own branches such as Mechanical / Electrical / Chemical / Civil. If you've got a free slot, take ESD2 and see how it goes. If you don't like it, you won't have any incentive to take anymore eng subjects in your later years. But if it turns out that you love it, you can also change from Maths to Engineering from 2nd year onwards.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:02:36 pm by Hancock »

LeviLamp

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +151
  • School: (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ❤
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 12:17:41 am »
I would mention that ESD1 is a prereq for Chem Eng, and ESD2 is not. So if you want to do chem eng, you have no choice at all :P
VCE: Chemistry | Biology (2011) | English (2011) | Environmental Science | Mathematical Methods CAS

2013-2015: BSc [Zoology] @ UoM | DLang [German - DISCONTINUED]
2016: GDSc [Botany] @ UoM
2017-2018: MSc [Biosciences - Zoology] @ UoM

Summer: BOTA30006

S1: BOTA20001 | EVSC20004 | BOTA30003 | BIOL90001

S2: GEOG20009 | BOTA30002 | BOTA30005 | EVSC20003 | NRMT90002

Subject and major reviews incoming :)

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 12:21:00 am »
I would mention that ESD1 is a prereq for Chem Eng, and ESD2 is not. So if you want to do chem eng, you have no choice at all :P

Haha yeah, I figured that was implied when I said "don't do it unless your entertaining the idea for Chem Eng". It's hilarious that the only subject that has ESD1 as a pre-req is some 5th year chemical engineering subject about Process Equipment Design. Thanks for clarifying though!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:00:58 am by Hancock »

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Engineering Advice
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 02:31:51 am »
I reckon you could probably get that wavered. That's ridiculous.
They often waiver/credit the Engineering Communication subject (the postgrad version of ESD1, and the 'alternative' prerequisite for that ChemEng 5th Year subject) if you've already got an undergrad in science or engineering. My partner got advanced standing for it for having a mathematics degree already.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:35:42 am by hobbitle »
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

Stevensmay

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 08:46:02 pm »
Is there any other engineering style subjects that you recommended we take in place of ESD1?
Most of the ones I'm finding have prereqs that I cannot satisfy yet.

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 09:31:44 pm »
Chemistry 1 is slightly useful for Engineering Materials, and Introductory Thermo classes. (If you're doing Mechanical).

user2357

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 05:57:02 am »
Hey man, your posts have been very helpful so hopefully you can help me answer some questions.

I have some questions to you as I am interested in engineering.

What can a first year student do to increase their chance of getting a good internship? Would high grades alone help or should I also do part time job to enhance resume?

Also, I am not taking computing in first year but planning on taking engineering computation in second year so would that satisfy the prerequisites for master of software and computer engineering? In the handbook it says that to be able to do software engineering I should do 25 points of first year computer science (foundation in computing and intro to algorithms). If I do engineering computation in semester 1, year 2 and algorithms and data structures in semester 2 year 2 would that satisfy the requirements or does it have to be level one subjects? Both engineering computation and algorithms and data structures are level 2.

Thank you in advance!
ATAR: 99.25
2014 - 2016: Bachelor of Science - University of Melbourne
2017 - ?: Full-time work or a Master's Degree

Inside Out

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 12:19:36 am »
Hey man, your posts have been very helpful so hopefully you can help me answer some questions.

I have some questions to you as I am interested in engineering.

What can a first year student do to increase their chance of getting a good internship? Would high grades alone help or should I also do part time job to enhance resume?

Also, I am not taking computing in first year but planning on taking engineering computation in second year so would that satisfy the prerequisites for master of software and computer engineering? In the handbook it says that to be able to do software engineering I should do 25 points of first year computer science (foundation in computing and intro to algorithms). If I do engineering computation in semester 1, year 2 and algorithms and data structures in semester 2 year 2 would that satisfy the requirements or does it have to be level one subjects? Both engineering computation and algorithms and data structures are level 2.

Thank you in advance!

programming is hard and makes me go cray cray

Captain Rascal

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Kappa = Grey Face (no space)
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 09:23:10 pm »
Hey y'all, can someone run me through the mech eng breadth track (through commerce) and what subjects need/should be taken to cover the prereqs for the masters or less specifically how many points at each year level

I'm having real trouble trying to get any information out of the website and handbook

ty ty :)