Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 12:14:14 am

Author Topic: Difference between electrical vs ECSE vs mechatronics? are they the same?  (Read 3929 times)  Share 

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
hi guys, engineering seems fun and is my back up if other things dont go my way, but i was just wondering a few main points , and hopefully come of you could shed some light :)

1) what is the difference between EE and ECSE and mechatronics ? im more interested in making things like laptops, electronics for cars/planes, department of defense work, robot stuff maybe etc. which of the three would suit me more?

2) do i need to know how to code for these degrees? i have tried learning javascript and python and stuff but i just dont understand it ! maybe i need a teacher?

3) what sort of math and physics knowledge is required? im good at math but not quite at the spesh level and havent really been a super whiz kid at math, i just study hard and good grades follow.

anyway thanks for all your help :D

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
Re: Difference between electrical vs ECSE vs mechatronics? are they the same?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:10:41 pm »
+1
I'm sure there are more experienced students here than I am..but I'll try answering your questions.
I'm an aerospace engineering student and that's why I'm not quite sure about the first question.
For your second question, yes you need to be able to use strong programs such as Matlab. Pyhton could also serve for your purposes. In uni, you'll have at least 2 computer related units...so don't worry about that.
You'll also need strong mathmetical skills in engineering...you'll be studying maths up to 3rd year. 
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:14:02 pm »
+1
Just a side note: my bro completed ee and did master in telecommunication. He's now working in a telecommunication company, designing circuits and what not for tv satellites. Hope that helps..good luck on monday
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:37:49 pm »
+3
1) what is the difference between EE and ECSE and mechatronics ? im more interested in making things like laptops, electronics for cars/planes, department of defense work, robot stuff maybe etc. which of the three would suit me more?

EE deals exclusively with electrical and/or electronic engineering. Since computer science is quite closely linked with electrical engineering, many universities have EE combined with the CS department (like UC Berkeley, where the faculty is called EECS). This is why Monash's degree is ECSE. Basically, EE == ECSE (in terms of faculties and degree names). Mechatronics is a combination of software engineering, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. This is seen as a robotics degree, however, employment is quite low in Australia so you may need to go overseas to find a pure mechatronics role.

If you want to deal with laptops/electronics, you want to do an Electrical Engineering major with a focus on electronics. If you want to work on robot stuff, either do Electrical/Software/Mechanical Engineering by itself, or do Mechatronics Engineering. It's up to you to decide what you'd like to do. I suggest you take a general first year engineering course (which means you can't do Mechatronics at Monash since it is a seperate degree from the B.Eng) to get an idea of what you want to do.

2) do i need to know how to code for these degrees? i have tried learning javascript and python and stuff but i just dont understand it ! maybe i need a teacher?

You will need to learn to code in all of these degrees to a high level, especially Mechatronics and Electrical, compared to other engineering disciplines.

3) what sort of math and physics knowledge is required? im good at math but not quite at the spesh level and havent really been a super whiz kid at math, i just study hard and good grades follow.

You'll have to complete up to 2nd year mathematics, but if you study enough, it shouldn't be too bad. In terms of physics, engineering is really applied physics, so if you take courses in Fluid Dynamics / Electromagnetism / etc, you'll be learning the physical laws and how to use it to engineer a solution.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:15:51 pm »
thanks guys !!!  ;D

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 03:25:01 pm »
one more quick question guys - what type of engineering(or physics?) would you learn about designing things like semiconductors and transistors and microchips?

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 03:35:34 pm »
+1
Quantum physics and material chemistry.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 03:43:08 pm »
thank you :)