Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 07:33:59 am

Author Topic: Ratio of men: women studying engineering  (Read 4255 times)  Share 

simba

Ratio of men: women studying engineering
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:03:14 am »
Hey there!

Fairly self explanatory question, I've just been wondering on average the amount of men in engineering courses at uni in comparison to the number of women? Thanks!

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
Re: Ratio of men: women studying engineering
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:07:23 am »
I think it's 90% :10%.

Don't quote me.

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:10:13 am »
+3
In my years cohort for the Bachelor of Engineering at Monash university there was around 25% females, I believe. (It was either 20% International students, 25% females or vice versa)

However, don't let this put you off the degree. I know that they have luncheons and such for female engineering students early on in first year, so that you can get to know other females in your course, as to make things easier.

A lot of the females in the course seem to have made quite close-knit relationships with other females in the course and seem more than comfortable in the degree despite being part of a minority.

Also, I just realised that I seem to be making out that the females in the course just stick with females and seclude themselves from males, which certainly isn't the case if I was giving that impression :P

I wish you all the best and hope that you don't let this be a determining factor in deciding your future, study what you are passionate about :)
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

simba

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 01:16:07 am »
In my years cohort for the Bachelor of Engineering at Monash university there was around 25% females, I believe. (It was either 20% International students, 25% females or vice versa)

However, don't let this put you off the degree. I know that they have luncheons and such for female engineering students early on in first year, so that you can get to know other females in your course, as to make things easier.

A lot of the females in the course seem to have made quite close-knit relationships with other females in the course and seem more than comfortable in the degree despite being part of a minority.

Also, I just realised that I seem to be making out that the females in the course just stick with females and seclude themselves from males, which certainly isn't the case if I was giving that impression :P

I wish you all the best and hope that you don't let this be a determining factor in deciding your future, study what you are passionate about :)

Thanks for the insight :)

It's definitely not a deciding factor for me! I've just been quite curious for a while because I know the majority of eng students are male, and was just wondering how big that majority was! It would take something much larger than the main gender of the cohort to deter me from engineering :P

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 01:19:53 am »
+1
Thanks for the insight :)

It's definitely not a deciding factor for me! I've just been quite curious for a while because I know the majority of eng students are male, and was just wondering how big that majority was! It would take something much larger than the main gender of the cohort to deter me from engineering :P
No worries, hopefully I'll see you down at Monash next year :)

Oh and I should also note that the male:female ratio will more than likely decrease after first year once you go into your discipline as the majority of females go into chemical/materials/civil (which from what I can recall was your preference) rather than mechanical/electrical, well, from what I have observed anyway.
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 01:44:37 am »
+1
A lot of it comes down to discipline, I'm doing Electrical Engineering which seems to be really male-dominated, of a class of around 200-250 there are about 6 girls.  Whereas some fields of engineering such as Enviro tend to have a lot more females :)
CONGRATS ON THE ATAR BTW! :)
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:02:22 am »
there are around 10-15 girls out of ~90 students in aerospace engineering
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 08:59:52 am »
Also don't you get engineering scholarships just for being female?
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:02:38 am »
Also don't you get engineering scholarships just for being female?

Yes but you also get Eng Scholarships just for being male sometimes, too.  At least UoM has two gender-specific ones.

I'm in first year and in my Engineering subject this year it was probably 20% female.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:08:28 am »
+2
Yes but you also get Eng Scholarships just for being male sometimes, too.  At least UoM has two gender-specific ones.

I'm in first year and in my Engineering subject this year it was probably 20% female.

Haha, I was referring to this which is quite literally a scholarship for being a woman :P
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 09:25:00 am »
+3
I can't answer for the BEng specifically because those stats are pretty hard to get. However, you can find the stats for each faculty. Below are the engineering ones. Keep in mind this covers multiple degrees and for some people it might be dubious what your home faculty is (if you do BEng/BA do you belong to the arts faculty or the engineering faculty? You must belong to only one of these, its important when submitting forms, getting approval, etc). Best i could tell it is very roughly 20/80, this assumes that the various rules of who your home faculty is doesn't show some distortion (i.e. females are more likely to choose BA/BEng, if you choose this degree, you belong to the arts faculty instead and arent counted here).

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research