Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:03:20 pm

Author Topic: Commerce - Deakin vs Monash  (Read 3813 times)  Share 

jhon9728

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Commerce - Deakin vs Monash
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:14:48 pm »
So I recently got my marks for ATAR and got a 89.4, and now I am trying to decide whether I should go to Monash or Deakin for Commerce.

The Deakin course I am looking at is a double degree for a Bachelor in Commerce and Information Systems (double degree) http://www.deakin.edu.au/course/bachelor-of-commerce-bachelor-of-information-systems-business

The Monash course is located at Caufield because the ATAR doesn't meet Claytons requirements, and I did not do Methods (only further) http://www.monash.edu.au/study/coursefinder/course/0315/

Now Deakin offers me a double degree over Monash which I assume is better if I get the chance, and are both areas I enjoy, and Monash is around 40mins from me by car while Deakin is less than 30.
While these seem like good reasons to go to Deakin instead for me, Monash I always hear is more 'prestigious' and I really want to get the best job opportunities out of this at the end, so does Monash offer better prospects without a double degree, and does this G8 (not really sure what it is) make a big difference?

Thanks

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
Re: Commerce - Deakin vs Monash
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:50:11 pm »
+1
High school students (as well as many uninformed parents) put an over-emphasis on "prestige". Going to melbourne/monash does not give you an automatic ticket into a grad position. In fact, the edge that a uni name has in Australia is at most 2% over another university. Doing well and achieving good marks; and having solid ECs/work experience is still the primary way employers sort through applications.

So, base your decision on convenience and on what course you want to do; not on what uni you want to go to.

jhon9728

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:05:01 pm »
Will a double degree offer me any extra opportunities?

totaled

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:50:57 pm »
I would go with Monash given it's one of the G8 Universities (has quite an important influence in terms of employability).
Also, you could transfer within Monash to a different course if your interests do change down the track (e.g. into Comm/Arts, Comm/Science, Comm/law etc)
ATAR: 99.90 (2011)
Currently studying Medicine at Monash

Currently in-taking students for 2015 in Mathematical Methods, Chemistry, and English in the SE suburbs (Glen Waverley area)

Doing VCE Psychology in 2015? You may want to check this out:
VCE Psychology Masterclass 2015