Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:47:25 pm

Author Topic: Accept UoM Chancellor Scholars (Biomed/MD)? or Monash (if offered in Jan)  (Read 13993 times)  Share 

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Accept UoM Chancellor Scholars (Biomed/MD)? or Monash (if offered in Jan)
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 11:08:07 pm »
Just throwing a bit of a curveball here but in the off chance that you don't get into the MBBS, and you decide you don't want to do biomed at UoM: Monash also has a Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholars Program) - you can read the Monash handbook entry here.

The course material is great, it's a pathway to postgrad medicine and the cohort is amazing!

Just something to consider :)
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

xenial

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 12:53:55 am »
Is hecs really 40 grand Stick? (lol I called it 'hex'). Who told you that? I looked up the undergraduate course fees and it was around 10 grand a year. But your answer seems more sourced than mine. To be honest, I haven't met anyone who literally couldn't get a 99.95. Most high achievers seem to do a language/spec/methods nowadays!

As for the cohort - well, perhaps a question of perception. I have a friend who says a lot of the students view their education as a GPA rather than, well, an education, and choose 'easy' breadths accordingly. But he also says there are plenty of nice people if you look for them :)

And cool that you applied to Queen's glueckspilz! I didn't even know you could apply this late. I'm sure I'd get to meet you if you came :) Remember you can most definitely do your language at Melbourne! You'd want to stay at a Monash college if you went to Monash though, not Queen's. Queen's is an awesome college though, and the colleges influenced my decision a lot.

abcdqd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +61
2012-2013: VCE, Melbourne High School

2014-2016: Bachelor of Commerce, Actuarial Studies, University of Melbourne

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 01:37:07 am »
+3
Just throwing a bit of a curveball here but in the off chance that you don't get into the MBBS, and you decide you don't want to do biomed at UoM: Monash also has a Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholars Program) - you can read the Monash handbook entry here.

The course material is great, it's a pathway to postgrad medicine and the cohort is amazing!

Just something to consider :)

Why would you do Biomed at Monash when you have a guaranteed MD place with Chancellors at UoM?
I can't think of any possible reason.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 01:39:20 am »
Why would you do Biomed at Monash when you have a guaranteed MD place with Chancellors at UoM?

Yeah...if you're guaranteed go to Melb.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 01:47:14 am »

Fair point, but OP may find the course material and unit breakdowns at Monash to be better (the main reason I turned down my offer to UoM biomed in favour of Monash's). They've also stated they would like to do medical research combined with clinical practice - Monash certainly teaches the research skills and the clinical practice could follow though it is hard to argue against a guaranteed MD place at Melbourne unless one genuinely didn't like it there.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 02:05:37 am »
Fair point, but OP may find the course material and unit breakdowns at Monash to be better (the main reason I turned down my offer to UoM biomed in favour of Monash's).

I don't really believe you can compare course material until you've been to both universities, and when you are referring to unit breakdowns, I'm assuming you mean the Monash handbook / UoM handbook. I personally believe that neither should be a factor when considering which uni to go to. Just because one subject may be more detailed in a handbook doesn't mean that it is a better class.

They've also stated they would like to do medical research combined with clinical practice - Monash certainly teaches the research skills and the clinical practice could follow though it is hard to argue against a guaranteed MD place at Melbourne unless one genuinely didn't like it there.

I haven't done Monash's course (obviously), but I feel that if you're doing a BBiomed anywhere, whether that is RMIT, La Trobe, or either of the two research-intensive universities being Monash and UoM, you're going to learn research methods through your classes. Clinical practise doesn't influence the decision because it is not going to be found in an undergrad pathway.

You're suggesting about Monash BBiomed is a good one, especially after the new pathway to MD. But there is no way you would / should turn down a Chancellor's for anything but a MBBS.

EDIT: Not meaning to sound rude btw, just providing an rebuttal to your post!

To the OP: For me it breaks down this way:

If you want to do your Med degree by itself, quickly, then go to Monash.

If you want to do your Med degree with an Arts component, then it is sort of a moot point IMO, because you'll be adding time onto your degree (or overloading, someone correct me I couldn't find the details) if you do it as a diploma at Monash, and you'll have to take the 3 + 4 year pathway at UoM taking arts subjects as breadth. If you also take on the BMedSci at Monash, you're looking at a one year difference between UoM and Monash, so you're comparing a BMedSci at Monash vs a BBiomed at Melbourne.

If you want to explore other fields during your undergrad, UoM.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:11:36 am by Hancock »
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

glueckspilz

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 09:38:20 am »
Thanks pi for the links! Never knew about this thing with the negotiated offers.

I got a Distinction average and I don't feel I worked that hard at all. It shouldn't be too hard to maintain if you put in semi-consistent work :) The median of the cohort lies somewhere around a low distinction / high credit, if that helps. I recently posted this in another thread, seems relevant:
Monash also has much saller hospitals like Angliss and Cabrini (which is private), although you're definitely right, positives and negatives for big vs small.

Wow ok, I always thought even getting a distinction would be hard in uni, but I guess with medicine where everyone are high achievers, that might not be the case.

Can anyone clarify how long exactly doing a diploma of arts at monash would add to the medicine degree? I also can't find any information online.

The only problem I have with the Biomed/MD is not the length but rather the fact that you have to do so much sciences in the first 3 yrs, and the students only go into clinical setting in their 5th year at UniMelb (or 2nd yr of MD). On the other hand, I had a look at the breadth subjects, look pretty good...but then monash exchange opportunities seem better (I don't think I will pass the decision making station in MMi lol too much going back and forth)

As for scholarship, they total up to be the same I think (for 99.90)- Monas: 6000 p.a. x 5 = UniMelb:10 000  p.a. x 3
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:42:39 am by glueckspilz »

glueckspilz

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 09:52:11 am »
another quick question- if I accept the Melbourne National Scholarship now- can I reject later in Jan if I decide not to go to UniMelb?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 10:17:03 am »
DipArts adds no time to the degree.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 10:23:02 am »
The only problem I have with the Biomed/MD is not the length but rather the fact that you have to do so much sciences in the first 3 yrs, and the students only go into clinical setting in their 5th year at UniMelb (or 2nd yr of MD). On the other hand, I had a look at the breadth subjects, look pretty good...but then monash exchange opportunities seem better (I don't think I will pass the decision making station in MMi lol too much going back and forth)

The UoM pathway is all about you doing extra things and seeing extra areas of science beyond solely medicine. If you're not interested in that, then the chancellor's scholar position probably isn't for you. It's my personal preference but I can appreciate it wouldn't be for everyone.

another quick question- if I accept the Melbourne National Scholarship now- can I reject later in Jan if I decide not to go to UniMelb?

You can reject the scholarship, sure. Whether you'll be able to get into Monash is a different matter, since it'll depend on your interview result

Monash also has much saller hospitals like Angliss and Cabrini (which is private), although you're definitely right, positives and negatives for big vs small.

Both of those are still metropolitan hospitals. The rural hospitals are the ones that are particularly well known for students getting to do lots of things they wouldn't do in the city

I also agree that the monash biomedsci degree isn't a consideration here, there's no reason to choose it over the scholars program at UoM if you're looking to study medicine later.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 12:46:54 pm »
Is hecs really 40 grand Stick? (lol I called it 'hex'). Who told you that? I looked up the undergraduate course fees and it was around 10 grand a year. But your answer seems more sourced than mine. To be honest, I haven't met anyone who literally couldn't get a 99.95. Most high achievers seem to do a language/spec/methods nowadays!

Someone from the university stated that amount at the high achievers' luncheon.

Also, a fair few pupils at my sister's school (private girl's school) have gotten 99.90 with six 50s over the past few years.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

survivor

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 01:11:46 pm »
hey,
I might have missed something in this thread, but if you get 99.90+ are you automatically guaranteed a chancellors scholarship or do you have to sit an interview as well?
Atar: 99.75

English [50] + 60/60 for the exam
Methods [48] (2013)

Tutoring Methods in 2015. Pm me for more info!

WhoTookMyUsername

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 05:27:35 pm »
hey,
I might have missed something in this thread, but if you get 99.90+ are you automatically guaranteed a chancellors scholarship or do you have to sit an interview as well?
automatically guaranteed chancellors; not automatically guaranteed postgrad medicine.
To get guaranteed postgrad medicine you have to pass a relatively (compared to other medical interviews) easy threshold interview.

If you pass (the threshold is set reasonably low), you are guaranteed postgrad med. If you don't you're still guaranteed chancellors scholarship, but will have to resit interview in 3rd year to try get into medicine (no guaranteed postgrad med).

In response to OP, I think if you live significantly closer to either, just go to that one. All things considered i reckon the courses are quite comparable, but it also depends how much value you place on the extra 2 years the Melbourne course takes, which for me was the deciding factor towards Monash.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:30:15 pm by Yellow_ »

glueckspilz

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 10:09:33 am »
Hi All, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have decided yay I'm going for Melb. Biomed/MD :D and rejecting UNSW and Queensland despite the pain of rejecting.
But yes, hope to see you there!  @Stick @xenial @brightsky
And I got a spot at Queen's too :D

P.S. I've heard from ppl I know that the biomed cohort can get a bit competitive as many of them are aiming for med, but since we're all guaranteed, let's all help anjd motivate each other :) I didn't do bio in high school so everything is going to be overwhelming for me..How about you all? Did you do bio?