Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 08:44:39 pm

Author Topic: [Split] Bachelor of IT laptop suggestions  (Read 1519 times)  Share 

james0025

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
[Split] Bachelor of IT laptop suggestions
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:42:00 pm »
What is the Recommended Specs for a laptop for a BIT student

Mod edit: Please don't bump very old threads!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:46:11 pm by alondouek »

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
Re: [Split] Bachelor of IT laptop suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:18:39 pm »
Can't really tell because I don't do a Bach (IT), but my cousin does and he uses a Dell Latitude E6530.
Its quite big (~13''-14'' screen), has an intel core i5vPro and uses windows 7 (he said windows 7 is easier to use with IT).
Hope this helped somewhat.

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:57:43 am »
Looking at the general Bachelor of IT program structure you won't be doing a whole lot of intensive design units, so you can get away with having a low to mid range notebook.
That being said, try to aim for an i5, 13+ inch is preferable and 4gb of ram is nice. It'll make compiling a heap faster which you'll do if you pick up Programming units. You don't have to use Windows, but it does make it easier when it comes to units like Database Concepts where you'll be asked to map a graph/relation : )
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

Qwazz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:55:40 pm »
Looking at the general Bachelor of IT program structure you won't be doing a whole lot of intensive design units, so you can get away with having a low to mid range notebook.
That being said, try to aim for an i5, 13+ inch is preferable and 4gb of ram is nice. It'll make compiling a heap faster which you'll do if you pick up Programming units. You don't have to use Windows, but it does make it easier when it comes to units like Database Concepts where you'll be asked to map a graph/relation : )

Most of what Kanon said was right. But, for Database Concepts you should be able to map graph/relation with software such as excel, or FileMaker.
'15-'17: B. Computer Science @ Swinburne