Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:21:49 am

Author Topic: Unit choice dilemma.  (Read 2776 times)  Share 

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Unit choice dilemma.
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:08:10 pm »
Hey guys,
So I was really happy with my timetable because I live on the west side and my timetable means that if I get my first preferences, I will only need to go to uni on 3 days (well, 2 days if I watch lectures at home). I'm doing 2 compulsory law subjects + ACC1000 and ETC1000.. I plan to major in accounting so ACC1000 is staying.. But apparently that's already hard, and so is contracts A (law subject) so I feel like my marks will really suffer if I do ETC1000 as well, since the exams and assessments are supposedly difficult (I'm not much of a maths person).. I've always been interested in marketing so I'm contemplating changing ETC1000 to MKC1200. However, if I do that, the only way everything will work is for me to have the MKC lectures on Thursday, so altogether 4 days.
I have a few questions:
- Do you think ETC1000 is really that hard? Is it a good idea to change it to marketing or is it not really much of a difference? Keeping in mind my other subjects as well
- Do you guys recommend attending lectures for commerce subjects? Will I miss out on much by just attending tutorials?
- Is it ok to put a tutorial (or computer lab session if I do ETC1000) before a lecture or inbetween part 1 and 2 of a unit's lectures?

Please let me know guys! I needa sort these out soon because it's bugging me ahah :P
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:12:15 pm by vashappenin »
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Re: Unit choice dilemma.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:43:05 am »
Bump. Anyone?

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:57:00 am »
+2
I can't talk about the specific questions but i'm also from the west-side. An extra day does mean a lot if you use it, hell, even if you don't use it, it's pretty nice to not spend ~4 hours (from where i live along Sydenham line anyway) just getting to somewhere.

In principal, there is nothing wrong or different with watching lectures at home. The video you get is the video feed from the projector (so, what everyone else sees projected onto the screen) and the audio feed is from their microphone. There isn't all that much difference from sitting there except for the atmosphere and the ability to ask questions during (which often doesn't kind of happen because its a bit rude to hold up a lecture of a few hundred for your individual question).

In the later years, many people skip all lectures and only wind up going to tutorials/labs, its what i do. I'd heavily caution you though, stay ahead, for the love of God, stay ahead. One advantage of physically going is you see the lecture when it happens. If you watch them online, its quite easy to put off watching todays lecture right now, suddenly, you're 5 days before the exam and have 7 weeks of lectures to listen to for the first time (it's happened..). Discipline is paramount.

There should be no problem with your tutorial question. The lecturers and tutors aren't dumb, they realise that you haven't had the second lecture yet and will adjust accordingly to one degree or another. Usually the tute work is either based on last weeks stuff or only requires minimal knowledge of that weeks lectures. Thats just my own personal experience in my areas, i cant speak for comm or law specifically.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:03:49 am »
Thanks! I heard that tutes towards the beginning of the week follow on the previous week's lectures, while tutes at the end of the week follow on the same week's lectures.. Is that true? And is there preference to tutes earlier or later in the week, or does it not really matter?

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:41:15 am »
+1
Thanks! I heard that tutes towards the beginning of the week follow on the previous week's lectures, while tutes at the end of the week follow on the same week's lectures.. Is that true?

I cannot speak on the specifics of commerce or law but no, that generally isn't true. There's assigned tute work each week, So, in week 1 you might talk about banking, week 2 derivatives, week 3 interest rates, etc. If some tutes did one thing and other tutes did another thing, it would seriously desynchronise the lecturers plans, i don't anticipate they'll do that for your tutes (i could be wrong though). They may try to alter the focus a bit to match the timeslot but for all intents and purposes every tute no matter what time in the week is the same.

And is there preference to tutes earlier or later in the week, or does it not really matter?

People i've spoken to don't really care IMO. Some do it because they know the material a bit better so they might go a bit better in the tute but as i said up there, the tute work (at least in arts) is often from the previous weeks, so, doesn't matter heaps. I'd say fitting it into their own personal timetable is more of a paramount concern for most people than the location within the week per se.

If you are rather worried you could contact the co-ordinator of the unit, you'll find their name and email address in the handbook. I'm sure they're used to getting jaffy questions like this all the time. Allocate doesn't close for a few more weeks i think so you got time.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +60
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 01:40:46 pm »
+1
Do you think ETC1000 is really that hard? Is it a good idea to change it to marketing or is it not really much of a difference? Keeping in mind my other subjects as well

Marketing is easier and less work, yes. However it does have an assignment, while ETC1000 doesn't. MKC1200 is also incredibly boring. Much more than accounting or stats imo. If you're worried about stats being too hard, I'd personally go for ECC1000 over MKC1200. More interesting than marketing, no assignment, and less mathsy than stats. But that's just me.

Honestly though, I don't think it really matters. All level one commerce units (apart from accounting and business law) aren't too intense in terms or workload or difficulty. Pick units you think you'll enjoy the most and you'll probably find that your marks are better, and that you enjoy uni more. If you think that stats sounds horrible but marketing looks interesting, go for marketing. So try not to worry about the workload, especially for first year commerce units. 

But ETC1000 isn't all that hard. You're given comprehensive notes and plenty of past exams too. Try having a look at the past exams database for ETC1000 to give you some sort of idea of what stuff is covered.

- Do you guys recommend attending lectures for commerce subjects? Will I miss out on much by just attending tutorials?

All down to the individual. I generally like going to my lectures, but others don't go to any and do fine. I find it easier to keep up to date if I attend the lectures. For specific commerce units though:

ACC1000: I recommend going to help keep you up to date.. Can sometimes be tough learning the stuff from the textbook/lecture slides only. Also I don't think the lectures are recorded. It's best if you've done the weekly questions before the tute too, and the lectures can help you to do these.

ETC1000: You get given the actual content lecture videos on a cd at the start of the semester, so all the lectures do is go over examples and Brett's entertaining stories. So you can skip these if you want. Usually are recorded. If you've watched the cd lecture (or just read the notes) then you'll be prepared for the labs.

MKC1200: I stopped going after the second week. Aren't recorded. Just about pointless I found. Tutes alone was fine for me.

- Is it ok to put a tutorial (or computer lab session if I do ETC1000) before a lecture or inbetween part 1 and 2 of a unit's lectures?
What slothpomba said. Put your tutes/labs at the time that suits you best. Sure, there may be ever so slight advantages or disadvantages to a particular tute time, but they will make no difference in the grand scheme of things. The same content will be covered in a tute at 8am monday as at 4pm on Friday.   

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 01:52:25 pm »
Ok thanks - I'll keep that in mind. Are all accounting subjects hard/heavy load? And I can't do ECC1000 (even though it'd be so good!) because it clashes with a law subject..

Btw whenever I go on MUTTs it shows two options for ACC1000 : ACC1000_CL_S1_DAY and ACC1000_CL_S1_ESP-EC.. What is the 2nd one?

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +60
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 01:56:10 pm »
+1
ESP-EC is the MUEP acocunting class I believe. So choose the "DAY" one.

Yang Li

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
  • School: Scotch College
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 03:31:56 pm »
Hey,

As someone finishing their Com/Law degree I found that going to law lectures is often a must. Commerce on the other hand, is not so challenging.

I found that economics and some finance units rely on lecture content, but not many other commerces units do (I am majoring in finance). It was helpful to attend accounting lectures for me because I was an accounting noob; and it certainly helps to at least listen to parts of Marketing and Management lectures online, because lecturers often give clues as to what questions will be covered in the exams.

Just my experience :)

All the best,

Yang