Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:52:27 am

Author Topic: Monash unit suggestions/advice?  (Read 3334 times)  Share 

MrCommerce

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Monash unit suggestions/advice?
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:06:55 pm »
Hi guys!

So i was wondering if any current Monash commerce students could provide advice regarding my unit selections.

I need to choose 2 commerce units (alongside 2 compulsory law units) out of ACC, ETC, MKC, MGC, ECC.

At the moment, i've enrolled into Semester 1 - ACC/ECC and Semester 2 - MKC/MGC and have left ETC for 2nd year.

1) Are there any recommendations to change anything? (Not sure if i've got a balanced choice at the moment in terms of difficulty and workload - i want something that maybe can ease me into first year uni...)
2) In your experience, what are the most popular units?

I did both ACC and ECC in year 12 and this is the only reason why i've chosen them for first semester (as i quite enjoyed them). Other than that, i have no clue what to choose - and i don't have any friends doing com/law to ask :(

Thanks a lot in advance :)
2013 ATAR: 99.05
2014: Bachelor of Commerce/Law @ Monash University

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +60
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Monash unit suggestions/advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:38:05 pm »
+1
1. What you've got now looks good. Choosing what you like is generally a good approach. You may end up changing your second semester units, but you can leave it as is at least for the time being.

If you've done accounting before you would have covered a large chunk of the first 6 weeks of ACC1000, so it probably won't be too difficult for you to keep up to date in this unit, at least in the beginning.

2. What do you mean by "popular"? In terms of number of people enrolled, those 5 units will all be fairly high because they are compulsory units for commerce degrees, although ACC1000 and ECC1000 would be the most common for first years to take in first semester, because these are pre-requisites for the more popular majors. If by popular you mean what people enjoy the most, well that entirely depends on the individual.

There's some relevant discussion in this thread - BCom/LLB questions and you can try reading subject reviews - Monash University - Subject Reviews & Ratings

MrCommerce

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:47:17 pm »
1. What you've got now looks good. Choosing what you like is generally a good approach. You may end up changing your second semester units, but you can leave it as is at least for the time being.

If you've done accounting before you would have covered a large chunk of the first 6 weeks of ACC1000, so it probably won't be too difficult for you to keep up to date in this unit, at least in the beginning.

2. What do you mean by "popular"? In terms of number of people enrolled, those 5 units will all be fairly high because they are compulsory units for commerce degrees, although ACC1000 and ECC1000 would be the most common for first years to take in first semester, because these are pre-requisites for the more popular majors. If by popular you mean what people enjoy the most, well that entirely depends on the individual.

There's some relevant discussion in this thread - BCom/LLB questions and you can try reading subject reviews - Monash University - Subject Reviews & Ratings

Wow, thanks for the insight! Ah, sorry for being vague - by popular, i meant what units most first semester students choose (which you already answered). Oh, so i can still change my 2nd semester units mid-way through the year? That would alleviate a lot of pressure.

Now that you mention it - does anyone know which units are prerequisites for a finance major?
2013 ATAR: 99.05
2014: Bachelor of Commerce/Law @ Monash University

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:59:58 pm »
Yeah, you can change your 2nd semester units right up until a few weeks into semester 2, so no need to worry about that right now.

The handbook tells you all you need to know. ACC1000 is the core unit that you need for a finance major.

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:09:19 pm »
Are ECC1000 lectures recorded?
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 10:23:11 pm »
+1
^Yeah, they are :)