Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 07:20:34 pm

Author Topic: Why are there select entry schools?  (Read 6532 times)  Share 

Anonymous

Why are there select entry schools?
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:27:50 pm »
This may come across as completely naive but I was just wondering why are there select entry schools? In VCE we aren't really learning anything beyond a study design. With that study design, we can completely teach ourselves. I've just been seeing so many year 8/9's on this website asking about advice on interviews and how to impress, tests etc. to get into these schools. What's the point? For University I actually understand the difference between the different levels of University, but I don't see why in VCE.

Anonymous

Re: Why are there select entry schools?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:45:01 pm »
This may come across as completely naive but I was just wondering why are there select entry schools? In VCE we aren't really learning anything beyond a study design. With that study design, we can completely teach ourselves. I've just been seeing so many year 8/9's on this website asking about advice on interviews and how to impress, tests etc. to get into these schools. What's the point? For University I actually understand the difference between the different levels of University, but I don't see why in VCE.

I agree with you. I also find this whole selective school thing total rubbish and how certain schools are known as underrepresented. The fact is though, speaking from personal experience, there is no major difference between selective schools and "average" schools except for the fact that there are more high achieving students in selective schools as opposed to normal schools and this is all due to the reassurance that they go to a selective school so they think that they will do well.
Teachers- no difference. Quality of teaching- no difference

Either way, it's all a scam and regardless of which school you attend, your schools reputation is not going to guarantee you a 99.95; you have to invest and sacrifice.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:54:18 pm »
Everything the person above me has said is rubbish, lol.

Comparing selective entry schools to public schools.. No difference? LOL

Most public schools have at most 4-5 people getting over 40 in a subject, selective schools have at least 50. MHS hundreds.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:57:51 pm »
As an MHS Old Boy, I can say that being in a cohort of like-minded academic individuals made for a wonderful atmosphere that I shall treasure forever, and that's after being in one of the top non-selective public schools before that. It's not really about the teaching (which isn't that much, if at all, better than my previous school), it's about the atmosphere, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Haters gonna hate though.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:02:00 am »
I'm the above poster, can the OP explain to me why they made this thread anon..?

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:02:48 am »

If you search the forums, i think we've talked about (and debated) selective schools many times before. Your want for an answer might be fulfilled by using the search function so give that a try first of all. Keep in mind that grades might not be the only thing. I'm told that it's also a reputation thing, in particular for the parents, in particular among certain ethnic groups/cultures. I can't really confirm it as a white guy though. It'd be a lie to say considerations outside of academic performance like reputation don't play a factor.

It might just be a matter of perception too. It doesn't matter if selective schools are actually no better academically than public schools if they have the reputation or a perception going around that they are indeed better. It's the same reason about things like aldi or even in my field, generic medicines. It doesn't matter if they're 100% the same as all the other medicine out there, theres a perception that they're somehow inferior and busy/unfortunately uninformed consumers buy using those perceptions.

Most public schools have at most 4-5 people getting over 40 in a subject, selective schools have at least 50. MHS hundreds.

That might be because selective schools already start with only the best of the best students. Most dedicated, (extremely arguably) the more intelligent kids, the ones with a better home condition and educational background. They have the luxury of picking and choosing, they don't have to take all students. That might be the primary reason that 4-5 kids at public schools get over 40 and MHS has hundreds rather than anything necessarily special about the teaching.

I'm the above poster, can the OP explain to me why they made this thread anon..?

OP you don't have to answer that if you don't want to. Depending on how the thread goes though it may or may not be moved to rants and debates section.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:18:32 am »
Why do they exist? To make money from terrified parents. It's a good business model. Paint the picture that VCE is make or break (it isn't), that select-entry schools have the best teachers (they don't), etc.

Select entry schools aren't worth it. Why pay more for secondary schooling (up front) than a degree from a top-tier uni? A great student will thrive in any atmosphere.

As for the atmosphere, I think these schools shelter students from the real world. I honestly believe if you can make it in a public school, then you can make it anywhere. Too many select-entry grads who rock up to uni with the expectation that their tutors are going to hold their hands during the semester.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:21:24 am »

I wasn't only referring to public schools, I was also referring to private schools.
One thing I do have to admit is that coming from a school that's not so recognised, atleast I don't have arrogance and break the self-esteem of students who attend public schools.

Haha, you're reinforcing my point. There is no difference in teaching but you'll have to try hard anyways. Students attending public schools may be so due to financial problems, transport, etc. Eitherway, you'll have to work hard.

I'm not hating on selective schools just expressing my opinion. What I find more stupid is how students take so much pride in attending a selective school. Like boo-hoo. Get over it.
What have you got to say to those "4-5 students" who achieve great scores?

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 12:22:14 am »
Why do they exist? To make money from terrified parents. It's a good business model. Paint the picture that VCE is make or break (it isn't), that select-entry schools have the best teachers (they don't), etc.

Select entry schools aren't worth it. Why pay more for secondary schooling (up front) than a degree from a top-tier uni? A great student will thrive in any atmosphere.

As for the atmosphere, I think these schools shelter students from the real world. I honestly believe if you can make it in a public school, then you can make it anywhere. Too many select-entry grads who rock up to uni with the expectation that their tutors are going to hold their hands during the semester.

^ Spot on!

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 12:31:59 am »

what are you talking about LOL
select entry schools are government with no fees and heaps of bursaries and shit. the hand holding and expensive fees are from the private schools not government ones.
the governments logic is basically "there are smart kids who are at terrible schools or who want to do x opportunities that their local high school doesnt have, lets just get the best ones and put them in a select entry school"

i go to a select entry high school and 95% of kids came from shit schools with lots of fights and druggies and shit like that, if alot of them stayed there they would've had far less opportunities than they do at their current school. going to a select entry gives them the chance to study hard and not be called a nerd, or not get picked on, or go to all those extra curricular events their previous school didnt have the interest/funding for.

if you had to pay extra for select entry schools it would be a different story but it is the same cost as your local high school, just designed to help people get out of bad situations. there are kids at mhs on centrelink who at their old school hung around bad crowds, but at a select entry they say "fk it i dont want to get dragged down by that stuff im just going to do every opportunity and use these good teachers"

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:36 am »
"Scam"..."make money".... are you serious? All selective schools are public schools, the only fees that have to be paid are contribution fees, just like every other public school.

Selective schools are there for the competitive environment they provide. Place a bright kid in a class full of distracted and unmotivated students and the kid is likely to follow suit. But place that kid with other like-minded students and what you get is a drive to work hard and to succeed.

Sure, teachers & teaching quality do not come close to private schools, but as long as capable students are surrounded by a supportive network of peers who share similar interests and don't view studying as this "uncool" thing only "nerds" do, they are going to get far better results than they would in a normal public school setting.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 12:40:30 am »

Selective schools are to make people feel superior lol

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:42:44 am »
the studious environment does make you work harder though, although when i went to my selective school i did not like it at all and saw myself becoming depressed. Had i stayed at my old school i think i would've  been happier

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 12:42:56 am »
yeah select entry schools are conducive to a productive environment, instead of getting a B+ and being called a "nerd", you get a C+ and everyone says "bro i know the best tutor" "ill help you at lunch dw man"

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 12:47:46 am »
I moved this thread because it was erring much more on the side of debate and argument rather than help and advice (which is kind of whats expected in the help and advice forum).

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research