Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:06:52 pm

Author Topic: Biomedical science career options  (Read 4964 times)  Share 

MNM101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Biomedical science career options
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:58:42 pm »
Just curious as to what jobs a person with a biomedical science degree can get into? Can they be considered as medical scientists?

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Biomedical science career options
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:02 pm »
Hey! Biomedical science has many possible outcomes:

• Some people go on to do postgraduate medicine
  • Some people go on to do other postgraduate study, such as an MBiomedSc, PhD, MPH etc.
  • Some people enter the workforce in some capacity, either as a researcher or working in a lab (be it commercial or otherwise)

Biomedical science is a broad and growing general discipline, and it has many, many branches into other more specific areas, such as biomedical engineering, forensic medicine, pharmaceutical science and also many non-laboratory-centric stuff such as health policy, clinical epidemiology, public health and preventive medicine, biostatistics and a vast number of other areas. To get a devoted career in the biomedical science, you'll almost certainly need to have a form of HDR (higher degree by research), whether or not that is some specific Masters program or just a PhD.

As for medical scientists: "medical scientist" is a fairly general term. I've been working recently with clinical epidemiologists and you could certainly call them medical scientists - but I get the feeling you're using the term more in the sense of a pathologist or something along those lines. To be a pathologist, I believe you need a medical degree. If you'd like some more information about 'medical scientists', I suggest you have a good read of this: http://www.jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au/occupation/Medical-Scientist.

Hope that helps!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

MNM101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:59:09 pm »
Thanks for that, it really helped. Just another quick question, how do u become an epidemiologist? Can you become one just with a biomedical science degree?

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:11:14 pm »
Thanks for that, it really helped. Just another quick question, how do u become an epidemiologist? Can you become one just with a biomedical science degree?

Most epidemiologists coming from a biomedical science background who I've met have done an MPH (Masters of Public Health) and/or a PhD in an epidemiology-related field. I'd imagine it's quite hard to find a scientific profession such as that without a HDR - or at least without being in the process of working towards one.

For example, I often get global emails from my department regarding the opening of full-time places for Research Assistants on a particular project - and one of the ubiquitous provisors is that the applicant must have or be working towards a HDR.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School