Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:35:37 pm

Author Topic: Fundamentals of Chemistry Question Thread (VCE-level chem)  (Read 15166 times)  Share 

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Re: Fundamentals of Chemistry Question Thread (VCE-level chem)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 07:36:48 pm »
Haha you don't have to flatter the tutors mate! There are some really crap ones.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 10:39:01 am »
I just had my tute and it also was confusing on that point. They said that homog was "matter of a single phase" and heterogeneous was "matter of a mixture of phases" which makes sense sort of but I don't feel like it's always true.
Like you could have a mixture of sand and marbles and they are both solids but they still don't mix to become homogeneous.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:45:51 am by hobbitle »

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
Fundamentals of Chemistry Question Thread (VCE-level chem)
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 10:40:27 am »
She also said atmosphere was heterogeneous because of dust particles and stuff which I understand where she's coming from but I'm pretty sure that's a misleading answer.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:46:07 am by hobbitle »

PlainElegy

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 11:38:21 am »
Too bad...who is your tutor? I have got a lady too as a tutor...can't be too sure about what her name was...and she happily told the tute class that she would be with us for the whole semester...

I think we might have the same tutors because what you talked about was similar to what I experienced.

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 11:44:55 am »
I think we might have the same tutors because what you talked about was similar to what I experienced.

I had a lady with short blonde hair, Sonia.  She said she was leaving us after a few weeks and we would get Mick once he had finished his lecture series (hooray, I like him).  It seems like such a petty thing to be having a dispute about but I did try to ask her about it in class and she just got totally vague and didn't answer properly so I had to email Mick with quotes from Zumdahl text.  Makes me feel so petty having to do that crap but honestly I just want a straight answer.

PlainElegy

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 11:46:56 am »
Yep, I have the same tutor

PlainElegy

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »
Don't know whether anyone's is still viewing this thread, but if you are reading this....

Are all orbitals filled from lowest to highest in order? Or do different elements have different suborbitals being filled to the maximum while others may contain like three electrons instead of 6 electrons? I'm rather confused...the textbook ain't helping.

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 05:00:49 pm »
Are all orbitals filled from lowest to highest in order? Or do different elements have different suborbitals being filled to the maximum while others may contain like three electrons instead of 6 electrons? I'm rather confused...the textbook ain't helping.

When you make a new post the thread goes back to the top of the list and appear under 'unread posts'.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret your question.

First some terminology: atoms have SHELLS, SUBSHELLS, and ORBITALS (no suborbitals... at least, if there are, we haven't been taught that they exist).

Basically, all elements generally speaking fill their orbitals in the same order (the order dictated by the Aufbau diagram from the lecture notes).

Assuming the atom is in a neutral and ground state, it will always have the same electron configuration.

Different elements have different valence electrons, that is - different numbers of electrons in their outer shell.

So you can use the Aufbau diagram (I do it differently but thats what they've been using in tutes so let's stick with that) to determine the electron configuration of a given atom.  Let's do, say, calcium (Ca atomic number 20):

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2

The large numbers represent the SHELL, the letters represent the SUBSHELL and the superscript numbers represent the number of electrons in that subshell (instead of saying 2p6 we could say 2px2 2py2 2pz2 but that's just tedious).  The largest SHELL number here is 4, and there are 2 electrons in that shell, so Ca has 2 valence electrons.

Sorry I'm probably not really answering your question but I'm just struggling to figure out what you mean.  Yes, orbitals fill from lowest to highest energy.  Some elements have full orbitals and subshells when they are in ground/neutral state, some don't.  Carbon has 2 electrons in its 2p subshell, Nitrogen has 3 electrons in its 2p subshell, Oxygen has 4 electrons in its 2p subshell.  In Neon atoms, the 2p subshell is full.

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 01:22:58 pm »
Here is a super dorky but actually really effective way of learning that slide (from Lecture 6) of polyatomic molecules and their charges:
http://www.wimp.com/polyatomicions/

PlainElegy

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 06:44:27 pm »
TY! Really much gratitude for your effort and time spent in writing out this stuff!