Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 04:55:04 pm

Author Topic: Question about studying law?  (Read 1438 times)  Share 

justaquestion

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Question about studying law?
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:17:32 pm »
I would really like to study law at uni, preferably a graduate degree. I am still in high school and have a couple of questions.

Regarding the subjects, how many are compulsory and how many are optional? In other words, how much freedom do you have to choose subjects that relate to the area of law you are interested.

Is it (law school) really as tedious as some people have said such as having to study day and night or is the difficulty a little overrated?

Does anyone think getting a JD is worth it for the extra year and the fact that it is more difficult than a bachelor degree of law. Also, is the cost a lot higher as I have heard varying information?

Dejan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • straya m8
  • Respect: +32
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Question about studying law?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:50:38 am »
Also, is the cost a lot higher as I have heard varying information?
Well, "The tuition fees for the Melbourne JD in 2015 are $4,552 per subject and the indicative cost of the standard 3 year program for students commencing in 2015 is $114,816*". From what I have heard the bachelor degree of law is a lot less expensive than compared to the JD, not exactly sure how much the bachelor degree of law costs.
Regarding the subjects, how many are compulsory and how many are optional? In other words, how much freedom do you have to choose subjects that relate to the area of law you are interested.
According to the Melb uni website "Students must take 15 subjects from the MBA (10 compulsory subjects and five elective subjects) and 22 subjects from the JD (17 compulsory subjects and five optional subjects)".
Is it (law school) really as tedious as some people have said such as having to study day and night or is the difficulty a little overrated?
From what I have heard, I don't really think its really tedious as you made it out to be. Not a law student btw

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: Question about studying law?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:46 am »
I would really like to study law at uni, preferably a graduate degree. I am still in high school and have a couple of questions.

Does anyone think getting a JD is worth it for the extra year and the fact that it is more difficult than a bachelor degree of law. Also, is the cost a lot higher as I have heard varying information?

1) The Law FAQ in my signature compares the structures of the JD and LLB, including how many electives you get. Go have a read

2) Depends on what kinds of marks you are aiming for. I barely study at all during semester, only in the last couple of weeks before exams. I've never failed a subject, but I'm also never going to be a judge or superstar lawyer either. Up to you and your capabilities/goals.

3) JD is more recognised in some foreign jurisdictions (like the US) than LLB, but other than that not really. I compare the two in the Law FAQ, there's no difference in terms of subjects studied.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]