Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 01:05:45 am

Author Topic: GAMSAT 2014 discussion thread  (Read 19295 times)  Share 

Hehetymen

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
Re: GAMSAT 2014 discussion thread
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2014, 06:41:36 pm »
My combo will be about 1.59 for every other uni and 1.58 for Melb. If I get the 2% then it will be around 1.61 for Melb and 1.62 for Deakin.

Seeing as how it seems I'm most likely to get an interview for Deakin (note pretty sure I also qualify for Monash cos I'm doing Biomed) should I preference:

1. Deakin
2. Melb
3. Monash

So if I get an interview at Deakin but aren't good enough, I can get passed to Melb? Whereas if I had Melb first and got Deakin straight away then Melb isn't even an option. Don't mind CSP or BMP, would just rather stay in Vic tbh.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2014, 06:49:06 pm »
+1
Just going to put it out there, but Deakin's clinical curriculum is terrible unless you're quite into Ortho or something. Instead of Med/Surg like most unis, they do Med/Surg/MSK. Furthermore, their Year 3 is a combination of Monash's (and UoM's?) first two clinical years, so it is VERY full on. Another thing to note is that to my knowledge, not all of their clinical students get to be in hospitals all the time either.

(source: my clinical site is shared with a handful of Deakin students, some of which wished they had chosen Monash or UoM instead)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2014, 07:04:35 pm »
My combo will be about 1.59 for every other uni and 1.58 for Melb. If I get the 2% then it will be around 1.61 for Melb and 1.62 for Deakin.

Seeing as how it seems I'm most likely to get an interview for Deakin (note pretty sure I also qualify for Monash cos I'm doing Biomed) should I preference:

1. Deakin
2. Melb
3. Monash

So if I get an interview at Deakin but aren't good enough, I can get passed to Melb? Whereas if I had Melb first and got Deakin straight away then Melb isn't even an option. Don't mind CSP or BMP, would just rather stay in Vic tbh.

You don't get 2% bonuses for UoM afaik.

Preference the university you want to go to first. If your GPA/GAMSAT was good enough to get you an interview at Deakin but not UoM, it is a very low percentage chance that you'll both be passed on from Deakin and be good enough to get a UoM spot. Far more likely, you'll get an offer from Deakin since it's your first preference.

Hehetymen

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2014, 07:10:52 pm »
You don't get 2% bonuses for UoM afaik.

Preference the university you want to go to first. If your GPA/GAMSAT was good enough to get you an interview at Deakin but not UoM, it is a very low percentage chance that you'll both be passed on from Deakin and be good enough to get a UoM spot. Far more likely, you'll get an offer from Deakin since it's your first preference.

Ahh right yeah I thought grad access added 2% but just reread it. Also considering honors to boost my GPA but not sure if I'll like honors.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2014, 07:51:31 pm »
Honours won't boost your GPA for UoM anymore.  By the time you apply you won't have done enough credit points to have it count towards your GPA whatsoever.  And it's extremely stressful.  Would not recommend doing Honours to boost anything, especially your ego.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Hehetymen

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2014, 07:59:01 pm »
Honours won't boost your GPA for UoM anymore.  By the time you apply you won't have done enough credit points to have it count towards your GPA whatsoever.  And it's extremely stressful.  Would not recommend doing Honours to boost anything, especially your ego.

Well crap if I could just remove my first year scores my GPA would be very competitive. And yeah that's why I was hesitant on honors. Guess my choice is made for me tho.

Could you explain why it won't boost GPA anymore?

vea

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +29
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2014, 08:06:10 pm »
+1
Most honours students receiver their results at the end of the year and so the GEMSAS application which closes late May will not be able to take into account these results.
2011: ATAR 99.50
2012: Bachelor of Biomedicine, UoM
2015: Doctor of Dental Surgery, UoM

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2014, 10:06:49 pm »
Sure, I'll show you from the GEMSAS guide:
"For applicants enrolled in an Honours program in 2014, Semester 1 results will not be used in the provisional GPA if they do not equate to at least 0.375 EFTS Load in that semester. In these instances the provisional GPA will be calculated on the Final -1 and Final -2 GPA."

So in UoM Hons projects you would have two subjects (0.250 EFTS) and then the rest of your study is comprised of the research project (0.750 EFTS).  Even if you have results for the first two subjects by the time provisional GPAs are calculated you'll only have results for 0.250 EFTS load - the research component won't yield any results until December and by that time offers will have already been decided!
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

MelonBar

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2014, 07:22:52 pm »
+1
Hey guys. Is there a reason why the Irish Gamsat seems to be neglected. I only realized today there is a testing centre in Melbourne, which you could opt for if you want to study med/dent etc the following year instead of waiting for Gamsat Au to come round again.
2012: VCE
2013-2015: BSc (Neuroscience) @ UoM