Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:01:01 am

Author Topic: Monash - 2014 Second Semester Electives  (Read 6848 times)  Share 

Art Vandelay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Monash - 2014 Second Semester Electives
« on: June 13, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »
Currently a second year, and because I want to go on exchange next year, and law students need to do 48 units before going overseas, I need to pick some electives for next semester. I need to do 3 law units next semester, and am currently only enrolled in Crim B. I have to pick an elective subject, cos I didn't do Torts A this semester. I applied for LAW4160 (negotiation mediation) in semester 2, but don't think I'll get in haha.
I've done LAW1101/2, LAW2101/2, and LAW3301 (ilr, raw, crim, contracts)

Here's the list of electives, and I need 2:http://www.monash.edu/pubs/2014handbooks/aos/law-electives/

Second Semester
LAW4121 Insurance law
LAW4122 International law
LAW4132 Law of employment
LAW4160 Negotiation and mediation law
LAW4161 Introduction to European union law
LAW4163 Parents children and the state
LAW4173 Research unit A
LAW4174 Research unit B
LAW4196 Consumer law
LAW4199 International laws of armed conflict
LAW4225 Non adversarial justice
LAW4227 Criminal investigation law and procedure
LAW4243 Tax policy
LAW4244 Construction law (dispute resolution)
LAW4248 Mooting and advocacy competition
LAW4537 Public policy, regulation and the law
LAW5110 Elements of forensic medicine
LAW5128 Succession law
LAW5146 Intellectual property I: copyright and designs
LAW5149 Advanced professional practice
LAW5152 Taxation law
LAW5216 Professional practice
LAW5218 Family law assistance program (professional practice)

Apart from Negotiation and Mediation law, I'm really interested in LAW4225 (non adversarial justice), and want to know if anyone has any experience, and how the workload and placement assignment was? I might shoot Ross Hyams an email.

If I do that, I would then pick one of: LAW4163 - Parents children and the state 406, LAW4132 - Law of employment 406, LAW4537 - Public policy, regulation and the law and LAW4196 - Consumer law. Anyone done these? Manageable as a mediocre second year student?

I kind of want to go for the easiest units, so I can boost my average before I go on exchange (or at least ensure i pass everything).

Thanks for all your help!
Monash Arts/Law

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: Monash - 2014 Second Semester Electives
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:45:25 pm »
+7
LAW4122 International law: several friends did this subject and none of them had anything good to say about it. Apparently it's a really artsy, fluffy kind of subject. Given that said friends were arts/law students, the fact that they didn't enjoy it really says a lot about the subject, I think :P

LAW4161 Introduction to European union law: friend did this and loved it, but she's a bit of an Europe fanatic so it is a very biased review. I'm doing the postgrad version of this subject in a month or so - if you want, I can send you the reading guide (which is almost a textbook in its own right - it's 119 pages long lol).

LAW4173 Research unit A
LAW4174 Research unit B
- absolutely not if you're looking for an easy unit hah

LAW4196 Consumer law - surprisingly, I had a couple of friends do this and really enjoy it (one of them even topped the subject!) On the other hand, from what they said, Justin Malbon seems to be a terrible lecturer, so I don't know

LAW4243 Tax policy - I LOVED this subject and wrote a review about it if you want to have a read, but it's definitely not easy

LAW4244 Construction law (dispute resolution) - friend did it and thought it was okay.

LAW5110 Elements of forensic medicine - I vaguely remember a friend mentioning that this is studied at the city campus or at least at some medical institute in the city. Obviously I don't know where you live but keep it in mind re travel arrangements and such. It looks like a really cool subject though, wish I'd done it

LAW5146 Intellectual property I: copyright and designs - I wrote a review of the postgrad version of this subject. Again, it's not easy

LAW5152 Taxation law - I also wrote a review of this. If you're better with numbers than I am then you might enjoy it. I found it boring though.

LAW5216 Professional practice - I also wrote a review of this. Loved it and I have not met a single person who did this subject and didn't love it. Great experience if you're considering becoming a lawyer at all. It goes for 17 weeks though, doesn't follow the normal semester format, and has different closing dates for applications, so make sure you double check that it wouldn't interfere with your exchange dates. The workload is approximately that of two normal law units

LAW5149 Advanced professional practice - I don't think you need to have done prof prac to do advanced prof prac. It's also only worth 6 credits instead of 12 so it's probably a little less intensive. Looks really interesting (you can choose from a range of practice areas including commercial, criminal, sexual assault and humanitarian law) but I don't know anyone who's actually done it

LAW5218 Family law assistance program (professional practice) - I think you need to have done family law or prof prac for this (check the pre-reqs)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Art Vandelay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:00:34 pm »
Thanks for all your help Nina! I'll probably watch a few LAW4122 lectures and see if the arts fluffiness translates to it being a bludge, but knowing that Eric Wilson (I had him for RAW) is taking it, I wouldn't think so :P

I'd really appreciate it if you could send me the reading guide for European Union Law. Just curious, how is it that you're doing post-grad units, did you finish undergrad or?
Monash Arts/Law

ninwa

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 04:40:16 pm »
+1
I'll PM you when I get home :)

I'm doing postgrad units because of this program.

Art Vandelay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 04:45:34 pm »
+2
Just for anyone else wondering about what electives to choose, the monashlss page has a 'law guide' with info on some of the available electives, definitely worth a look!
Monash Arts/Law

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 05:36:33 pm »
Just for anyone else wondering about what electives to choose, the monashlss page has a 'law guide' with info on some of the available electives, definitely worth a look!

I have heard it is an amazing publication :P

Art Vandelay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 01:48:24 am »
So I've received an offer to do LAW4160 (negotiation and mediation law), so need to pick from Constitutional Law (LAW3201) and Non-adversarial Justice (LAW4225), to do in addition to LAW4601, Crim B and my arts unit. Non-adversarial justice seems more suited to my interests, and more cruisy, but constitutional law being a prescribed unit would have more materials/notes/past exams so it'd make studying for it easier. Thoughts?
Monash Arts/Law

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 02:03:15 am »
+1
Obviously not a law student, but that Non-Adversarial Justice unit sounds fantastic based on its handbook entry - far more so than Consti. It sounds like negotiation and mediation would go well alongside 4225.

Plus the assessment in non-adv looks like a better split than consti!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

ninwa

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 01:23:51 pm »
+1
I wouldn't call neg/med "easy" necessarily but it is a lot of fun, crim isn't that hard and I'm going to assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) that your arts subject isn't overly onerous either. So in your position I would do consti (which IMO is a harder subject) because you have 3 other relatively cruisey ones, and I would save non-adv for another semester when you've got some other tougher subjects to deal with.

Art Vandelay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 02:13:26 pm »
I wouldn't call neg/med "easy" necessarily but it is a lot of fun, crim isn't that hard and I'm going to assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) that your arts subject isn't overly onerous either. So in your position I would do consti (which IMO is a harder subject) because you have 3 other relatively cruisey ones, and I would save non-adv for another semester when you've got some other tougher subjects to deal with.
Yeah, you're probably right about that. assuming timetabling works out i'll go with doing consti over non-adv. thanks!
Monash Arts/Law

frankiefrankie

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 04:01:21 am »
Having really bad clashes with my intended units and now I have to revisit Wes to reselect units! :-\
Have anyone done Succession Law (Law5128) or Law of Employment (Law4132)?
Year 4: Commerce/Law
Having 1/4 life crisis.

Rohmer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 05:11:43 pm »
Having really bad clashes with my intended units and now I have to revisit Wes to reselect units! :-\

I have the same problem right now, might have to take electives I don't really want -__-

Have anyone done Succession Law (Law5128) or Law of Employment (Law4132)?

I haven't (though considering doing Employment law this sem). You probably saw it already, but just in case not, the LSS guide attachment here has info on some of the 2014 electives (including succession law):
http://monashlss.com/education/monash-law-guide

frankiefrankie

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 01:48:50 am »
Thanks for the link for the guide! I think I may end up doing succession along with construction (dispute resolution).
Year 4: Commerce/Law
Having 1/4 life crisis.