Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 07:43:31 am

Author Topic: Can individuals succeed in academia solely through determination and hard work?  (Read 5795 times)  Share 

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
I believe that intelligence is derived from hard work and determination. No one is born with any intelligence, it's their determination expressed through hard work that give them that quality. So anyone that has determination and puts in the hard work, can gain enough intelligence to succeed in academia.
2018-2020: UoM Comm

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
Tangentially relevant.

Boddy, C. R., Ladyshewsky, R., & Galvin, P. (2010). Leaders without ethics in global business: Corporate psychopaths. Journal of Public Affairs. doi:10.1002/pa.352
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

aqple

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
I believe that intelligence is derived from hard work and determination. No one is born with any intelligence, it's their determination expressed through hard work that give them that quality. So anyone that has determination and puts in the hard work, can gain enough intelligence to succeed in academia.

I don't agree this. I personally know quite a few people who work very hard in their studies, but do not achieve great marks. I know someone who has never read a novel in their life, so it's fair that this person doesn't receive good grades in English and other humanities subjects. And if this person started reading challenging novels now, it would be extremely difficult.
Essentially, the upbringing of a person determines one's intelligence. For example, a child who is exposed to things that allow them to form ideas, with the opportunity to discuss them, will be more intelligent. A child who is a keen reader will be more intelligent, etc.
Although yes it is a factor, I don't think intelligence comes solely from hard work and determination. As I said, I know a lot of people who work hard but simply do not do as well as someone else who doesn't work as hard. It's more about the person's general background and upbringing that give them qualities such as curiosity, which in turn make them more educated and well-read and likely to do well in academia.
VCE 2014 - English Language | English | Studio Arts | Psychology | Legal Studies

Currently studying B-Arts @ UoM

~Tutoring English Language [47] in 2015~
Offering online essay correction service/tutoring - PM for details