Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 08:58:58 am

Author Topic: Sydney JD vs UoM JD  (Read 4825 times)  Share 

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Sydney JD vs UoM JD
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:12:40 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

I'm having a look at my options next year and I've pretty much narrowed it down to:

M.Eng (Mechanical) (UoM)
JD (UoM)
JD (USyd)

I've got M.Eng in the bag, since it's just a 65% avergave cut-off and from USyd's site, it says they only require an ATAR > 90 and GPA > 65% for a CSP place so I'm quietly confident that I will get a CSP position. That being said, if I were to do law, I'd much prefer to go to UoM for convenience and I'll do the LSAT if that's the case.

Does anyone know (specifically the older law students here) how USyd compares against UoM?
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

clueless123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
  • School: Duno
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Sydney JD vs UoM JD
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 04:40:51 pm »
Hold up, so you're going to be doing engineering AND law at the same time? I.e. a double degree?
No, his choosing between the two different post graduate degrees.
Cookie?

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:36 pm »
+2
Are you planning to become a lawyer? If so, are you planning to practice in Victoria or NSW?

edit: also, you might get better answers on places like Whirlpool
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:43:24 pm by ninwa »
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:07:50 pm »
Are you planning to become a lawyer? If so, are you planning to practice in Victoria or NSW?

edit: also, you might get better answers on places like Whirlpool

Yeah, if I was to enrol in a JD I would be planning to practise as a lawyer. I'm not too sure at this moment, does the university have that much bearing on my practising location or is it just because the local city will know more about the local university?

I've heard that Sydney is a larger financial / commercial city compared to Melbourne so I suppose that couldn't hurt.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:02:42 pm »
+1
I've heard that Sydney is a larger financial / commercial city compared to Melbourne so I suppose that couldn't hurt.

I know Sydney also tends to offer higher grad wages and higher wages in general for lawyers so that's not a bad thing too.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:38 pm »
+2
Yeah, if I was to enrol in a JD I would be planning to practise as a lawyer. I'm not too sure at this moment, does the university have that much bearing on my practising location or is it just because the local city will know more about the local university?

Some laws will vary between state jurisdictions. I don't think it matters /that/ much though especially if you're going into corporate law which is mainly governed by Commonwealth legislation I think.

You might also meet the old school partners in larger/older law firms who will take more kindly to you because you went to the same alma mater etc etc, but that is insignificant enough that it shouldn't affect your decision IMO.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]