Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:55:39 am

Author Topic: Monash First Year Moot?  (Read 2117 times)  Share 

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Monash First Year Moot?
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:03:41 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
Have any of you had experience doing it/heard of anyone else's experiences doing it? I think applications opened today and since it's first year only I was considering doing it.. However, I'm not really much of a public speaker and I'm scared it's all going to go badly so I'd love to hear other people's experiences before I really commit to it! Do you think I should go for it?
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
Re: Monash First Year Moot?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:42:04 pm »
+1
Yes. Who cares if it's going to go badly? Chances are everyone else has as much experience as you do; and if you're sufficiently prepared it will go fine. Maybe you could go to the courts next week for a moot run by the LIV too, or watch up a few on youtube. The LSS website also probably has an instruction guide to help you along. Good luck. At worst, you gain some invaluable experience and a certificate of participation; at best you become famous at law school yay

(I signed up for the JD Moot and am so excited! Will be my first one too ;) )
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:23:41 pm »
+2
Definitely go for it! You might just find that you love it. Uni is all about embracing new experiences after all. (Plus, if you do well it looks nice on your resume.)

When I was in first year, I had zero public speaking experience and possessed the charisma of approximately half a potato, but I still did the moot and fared okay. I think you should try to do it with a good friend if possible - it was so stressful that only a strong friendship could have survived, ha ha (half joking)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:54:53 pm »
Did you end up winning the moot? :P
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash