Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:28:18 pm

Author Topic: Monash enrolment  (Read 1438 times)  Share 

M_BONG

Monash enrolment
« on: November 17, 2014, 12:22:30 pm »
Hi guys, I am intending to do Arts/Law at Monash next year. But unfortunately, I checked the Monash website and saw that enrolment is on 18 Feb and orientation the following week (23 Feb -27 Feb I think).

I will be overseas until the 27 Feb so my questions are:

1. Can someone enrol on behalf of me? I have a permanent residence visa. They said on their site international students must attend in person, but didn't say anything about those with permanent residence.
If not, should I email Monash and apply for late enrolment now?

2. What do you guys do in orientation (not just in Law, but other faculties as well).. is it worth changing my overseas trip (like pay a few hundred dollars) just to attend orientation?
I heard you go on a camp (talking to an Engineering student the other day)... is that true? Apparently if you don't go on this camp, it will be really awkward for you in the first few weeks....

But in terms of course work, would I be missing out a bit on Orientation?

3. When do we get uni textbooks, I know it's different from high school, but worth reading slightly ahead during the summer holidays?

Do we even need them, and if so, should we get them before we start classes or after?

Thanks heaps! :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:24:36 pm by Zezima. »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Monash enrolment
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:47:22 pm »
+2
Best bet is to ring Monash and ask about it - presumably, you can do enrolment after your stuff (you'll need to go get an ID during semester, though).

As for orientation - you'll just miss out on signing up for clubs. You don't need to be at o-week to sign up, though - there'll be random events during semester that you can sign up to them, you can e-mail clubs if you look them up and like their premise. There might also be events which tell you about what your degrees will entail, or possibly meeting with people to discuss your first year units (relevant for science, not sure about other faculties), and directions you might want to head in future years.

Really, if you're around, it's good to go at least one day of o-week and your enrolment stuff - but if you miss it, it's easily amended.

As for textbooks - I have yet to do a unit where you had to buy the textbooks (even if they were listed as "required"). I can't imagine law being too different, but best to ask people who've actually done it (which is at least a third of the Monash people on AN, to experience. :P).

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: Monash enrolment
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:04:56 pm »
+1
1. Contact Monash ASAP

2. I did shit all in orientation, stuff like library tours etc., you don't miss out on any coursework. In my year though we did receive the first assignment at orientation if I recall correctly. However, now that everything is done online you'll be able to access all your course materials/assignments/reading lists etc. through your my.monash portal anyway. I highly doubt you'll miss anything important, but maybe check with Monash just to make sure.

3. I wouldn't buy any textbooks until your first lecture. Your lecturer will tell you which books you need. If you can't afford it the law library will almost always have copies of the current booklist, though it might be a bit hard to get (lots of students will try to borrow them).

Ehh I guess if you really wanted to you could read ahead for some of the introductory stuff but I honestly wouldn't bother. The more substantive law subjects (it's a new law degree structure from next year, but I expect you'll still start with contracts) you'll probably struggle to understand without any legal instruction or knowledge. (In later years you might be able to read ahead and actually understand what's happening.) Enjoy your holidays IMO and start uni with a fresh mind.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]