Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:28 am

Author Topic: iPad for uni  (Read 3291 times)  Share 

insert

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
iPad for uni
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:14:35 pm »
is it possible to use an ipad rather than a laptop for uni? does anyone do this? is it easy to organise notes through apps?

thanks

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Re: iPad for uni
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:07:19 pm »
I know scribble uses one, maybe PM her
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:14:00 pm »
I do! It's alright. I primarily use it for storing lecture note PDFs because annotating just isn't very good unless you're willing to fork out $$$ for a good stylus. In all honesty it doesn't surpass pen+paper for note-taking, and the only real benefit it has is better portability than a laptop.

The main annotation apps I use are Notability, Textilus and iAnnotate PDF; Microsoft have also just made their entire suite of Office products available for iPads for free (also for Android I think?) so I'll be using that as needed.

A few of my friends use tablets that run Microsoft operating systems and they seem to be a lot better for uni purposes (e.g. sharper handwriting functions, better connectivity with microsoft-based apps and more options available such as dedicated connectable keyboards). Obviously this is down to personal preference, so if you're keen on getting a tablet then I'd advise that you do your research on various types rather than just arbitrarily choosing an iPad/other tablet.

Good luck!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

mahler004

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:17:46 pm »
Notability is an awesome app for organising notes. If you're doing science, most of your notes will be in powerpoint/PDF form, so it makes it very good to annotate. If you can buy or 'obtain' your textbooks in pdf form it can save a few kilos in your bag. Although yeah, as the guy above me said, you'll need a good stylus (although if you're spending $500-1000 on a tablet, what's an extra $40?) I recommend the Adiont Jot Pro.

I don't really think it's possible to use an iPad to replace a laptop for uni - I could never imagine just using my iPad, especially as it's very difficult to type up a paper (even with an external keyboard, the lack of multitasking really kills it.) If it's the choice between a laptop and an iPad, take the laptop. If you've already got a laptop, go ahead and buy an iPad.

University aside, the iPad is an excellent toy as well.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:23:34 pm by mahler004 »
BSc (Hons) 2015 Melbourne

PhD 2016-??? Melbourne

I want to be an architect.

scribble

• is sexier than Cthulhu
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +145
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:12:03 pm »
I use both a laptop and a tablet for uni. The tablet is good for studying (watching lectures, annotating slides, checking the lms and what not) but there are times where a computer is definitely handy. eg if you have to write a report, it's always nicer to do it on a computer than on a tablet. Also there may be specific software you need for assignments (like matlab or pymol) where you really do need a computer.
Realistically though, I probably use my tablet 80% of the time. And for the times you do need a computer, it usually isn't too much of a hassle to hop onto a library computer.

if you're planning on annotating slides, I find it much more comfortable to annotate slides on a tablet rather than a computer. though that's probably because I used to print my slides and write directly on them. For note taking, goodnotes is my favourite app. You'll need a nice stylus. I use a jot touch, but would definitely reccomend the jot pro (I lost my old one :C )
Note that if you want to stream your lectures and take notes at the same time, it's not really possible with just an iPad. (I tend to carry two iPads so I can watch lectures on one and take notes on the other, but this is probably completely overkill. Together, they still weigh less than most laptops though)

sjayne

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 10:43:01 pm »
I know there are a few apps where you can write down notes and record at the same time. So then you can just click on what you've written and hear what the lecturer was saying at that time
2015   BSc: psych at unimelb

mahler004

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:57 pm »
I know there are a few apps where you can write down notes and record at the same time. So then you can just click on what you've written and hear what the lecturer was saying at that time

Notability is one. Good chance it will be free over Christmas.
BSc (Hons) 2015 Melbourne

PhD 2016-??? Melbourne

I want to be an architect.

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 10:47:32 am »
If you decide a laptop, the macbook 11 inch is quite good- Very lightweight + Easy portability
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

ReganM

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • What is being active?
  • Respect: +8
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 10:43:19 am »
I bring an iPad to uni which has Notability on it for taking notes. Honestly you probably don't need to bring/buy a laptop if you have an iPad + a PC at home.

If I need to write a report at uni I just use a uni computer and then email/Dropbox/Drive the document back to myself.

My iPad has a bluetooth keyboard, so I can even just start a report on Google Drive and then finish it at home.

Note that my iPad is an iPad 4, I've had it for a few years and it's still fine to use.
Graduated in 2011.

Bachelor of Science at Melbourne. Biological Science subjects.