Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:34:11 am

Author Topic: .  (Read 2655 times)  Share 

ctee01

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:04:17 pm »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:03:41 pm by ctee01 »

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: bachelor of science for 3 years and then get into medicine
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:09:11 pm »
Just from what I've read/heard.

You also need to do well at Uni- so a really good GPA grades etc

GAMSAT (Do welll)

And if I'm not mistaken, there's also an interview?

Not sure about Monash tho. :)

+  Very competitive, of course but possible. :D :D

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:30:33 pm »
If I do bachelor of Science for 3 years and get a good score for gamsat, can I get into medicine? (melbourne or monash university)

Theoretically, yes. Keep in mind though that doing well in uni (should be aiming for mainly H1s i.e. 80+ subject scores) and (especially) the gamsat is no walk in the park, both require an immense amount of effort. Speaking solely about UoM, you also need to make sure that you fulfil the prerequisites for the MD during your undergraduate degree:

BIOL10004
BIOL10005
CHEM10003 or CHEM10007
CHEM10004

^ The above 4 are prerequisites in themselves for 1 or more of the following subjects:

Anatomy:  ANAT20006 Principles of Human Structure
Biochemistry: BCMB20002 Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Physiology: PHYS20008 Human Physiology

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:43:10 pm by Starlight »
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:41:50 pm »
Asking for a friend + my own query
So basically is it easier to do med through Monash? No GAMSAT??

And could you transfer from science melb to Monash? Without doing the GAMSAT?

Thanks
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:49:37 pm »
Hey Starlight! :D
^ Starlight is a nice example here (Or should I say Dr. Starlight)
Haha, don't know if I have Dr. as a title or not :P

Isn't that the same with the Biomedicine course?

Asking for a friend + my own query
So basically is it easier to do med through Monash? No GAMSAT??

Edited. I'd say that with grades with the monash biomed course is even higher if one is aiming to enter their medicine course without the gamsat requirements (I think there's something like 50 places but don't know for sure). With that amount of competition perhaps they would prefer to use the WAM system rather than GPA (in which case one would aim for scores as numerically high as possible as opposed to a score between 80-100 which is the highest range of scores using the GPA system). If this is the case, I would say it is the same the difficulty with the monash biomed course to get a place in medicine. The drive for the monash system seems to be based on enrolling more students into their biomed course vs UoM, no idea why it's often being regarded as "easier".

And could you transfer from science melb to Monash? Without doing the GAMSAT?

If you had already established your studies with the UoM to get into the MD, then it seems almost a hassle just to change courses to get into another medicine course that  has requirements which are (likely) just as strict.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:54:07 pm by Starlight »

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 09:51:40 pm »

Edited. I'd say that with grades with the monash biomed course is even higher if one is aiming to enter their medicine course without the gamsat requirements (I think there's something like 50 places but don't know for sure). With that amount of competition perhaps they would prefer to use the WAM system rather than GPA (in which case one would aim for scores as numerically high as possible as opposed to a score between 80-100 which is the highest range of scores using the GPA system). If this is the case, I would say it is the same the difficulty with the monash biomed course to get a place in medicine, no idea why it's often being regarded as "easier".
Thank you starlight :)
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

MelonBar

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 09:52:43 pm »
Someone feel free to correct me but yes you do need to sit the gamsat for Monash iirc. In fact they may have higher gamsat requirements than unimelb because for them the GPA is just a hurdle (set at 5.0) and from then on they rank the applicants on gamsat. Also keep in mind that 50/75 places are reserved for Monash students from their biomedical degree. The other 25 spots are up for grabs if you did an undergraduate health science degree from another university.
2012: VCE
2013-2015: BSc (Neuroscience) @ UoM

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 09:58:18 pm »
+1
From a Monash perspective: Yes, it is possible to complete a BSc, do the GAMSAT and enter into postgrad medicine.

There are a couple of important things to note:
  • As of 2017 intake (if I recall correctly), the Monash postgrad MBBS will only available to students who've completed a Monash undergrad degree. UoM's MD is still open to graduates from any university.
  • Both Monash's MBBS and Melbourne's MD have several prerequisite units that you MUST take during undergrad. These fulfil graduate medicine requirements regarding anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. Hence, you should plan for this from the beginning of your degree.

At Monash (for the BSc), your prerequisite units would look something like this:

First year:
BIO1011
BIO1022 (these two units allow you to take the second year prerequisite units)

Second/third year:
DEV2011
DEV2022 (fulfils the anatomy prereq. 2011 is not a prereq on its own but is needed to take 2022)

BCH2011
BCH2022
BCH3052 (these fulfil the biochem prereq. I've heard that you may only need one of these - therefore BCH2011 - but definitely follow up with this, the MD subject prereq guide isn't very clear on this)

PHY2011 and
PHY2021 or PHY2032 (physiology prereq)

Here's a full list for all universities re: MD subject prereqs: http://sc.mdhs.unimelb.edu.au/sites/studentcentre/files/VIC-Domestic-Prerequisite-Subjects-updated-8-Aug-2014.pdf

Good luck!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 09:58:58 pm »
+1
Someone feel free to correct me but yes you do need to sit the gamsat for Monash iirc. In fact they may have higher gamsat requirements than unimelb because for them the GPA is just a hurdle (set at 5.0) and from then on they rank the applicants on gamsat. Also keep in mind that 50/75 places are reserved for Monash students from their biomedical degree. The other 25 spots are up for grabs if you did an undergraduate health science degree from another university.

This basically sums up everything to do with medicine at monash http://med.monash.edu.au/medical/gippsland/mbbs-pathways.html

GPA requirements etc.: http://pagingdr.net/info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=207:2014-entry-minimum-scores&catid=56:gpa-and-offer-criteria&Itemid=109

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 10:06:44 pm »
There's no information available yet as to whether it is 'easier' to get into the Monash medical degree due to the new changes (ie nobody has done it yet). People might all flock to the degree and push the cutoff up a long way in 3 years time when applications are due.

e, wow this moves fast. this quesiton was answered a while back :O

You can claim it! (anybody in Australia can use the title 'doctor', technically)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 10:09:03 pm »
Off-topic, but congrats on the graduate offer Starlight :)

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 10:57:53 pm »
There's no information available yet as to whether it is 'easier' to get into the Monash medical degree due to the new changes (ie nobody has done it yet). People might all flock to the degree and push the cutoff up a long way in 3 years time when applications are due.

Indeed. Though grade-wise it does look like the graduate entry to the monash MBBS will be harder/more competitive as the link I posted above confirms that they will use the WAM system rather than the GPA system. Perhaps possibility for entry may only be feasible for those who receive averaged subject scores in the late 80s or >90s, but for now that can't be confirmed.

You can claim it!

Sounds good to me!

Off-topic, but congrats on the graduate offer Starlight :)

Thank you, Pi. Glad to be pursuing the only course that I have aimed for during my undergrad :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:59:26 pm by Starlight »