Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 01:24:40 am

Author Topic: Best device to use for a engineering degree at uni?  (Read 1211 times)  Share 

mikehepro

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +14
  • School: Beaconhills College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Best device to use for a engineering degree at uni?
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:03:56 pm »
Hey guys:
I'm planning to do chemcial system ----> chemical engineering through UoM next year.
Just wondering what kind of laptop/tablet/device should I get with a budget of around $1500-2000 bucks.
I considered a Mac (air or pro) but is there any programs I would need for engineering that doesn't run on Mac?? I suppose I could always just install windows -.-
Also, if I do end up getting a Mac, is air better due to the longer battery life, lighter weight or the pro with more powerful processer etc. (once again, does programs for engineering requires a higher cpu?)
this is purely for studying purpose since I'm building a high end system for gaming and other things anyhow.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
2015: UoM BSci

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
Re: Best device to use for a engineering degree at uni?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:14:28 pm »
Definitely get a Windows computer, there's a bunch of software you need that's exclusively available on Windows (or available on MAC but your tutorials may not reference them).

As an undergrad won't be doing anything that intensive on your computer's resources, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just get something quick with enough memory, and portable enough for you to get to uni and back. There might be some sims you'd need to run later in your degree, but you wouldn't use your laptop for this anyway.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

mikehepro

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +14
  • School: Beaconhills College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Best device to use for a engineering degree at uni?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 04:42:39 pm »
Definitely get a Windows computer, there's a bunch of software you need that's exclusively available on Windows (or available on MAC but your tutorials may not reference them).

As an undergrad won't be doing anything that intensive on your computer's resources, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just get something quick with enough memory, and portable enough for you to get to uni and back. There might be some sims you'd need to run later in your degree, but you wouldn't use your laptop for this anyway.
oh ok i see,  sweet. I did end up getting a HP laptop so i guess it was the right choice after all.
Thank you.
2015: UoM BSci