Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:36:31 am

Author Topic: Monash or Melbourne for Civil Engineering?  (Read 4512 times)  Share 

faredcarsking123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Abigaul
Monash or Melbourne for Civil Engineering?
« on: December 19, 2014, 02:03:21 am »
My atar basically allows me to choose either, but i dont know which to pick.
I want to do a bachelor of commerce to broaden my employment options because im not really sure i even want to do engineering, but its my most appealing area compared to the rest.

B.Com Melb then master of civil eng

bcom/ beng (Honours) Monash clayton

Beng and infrastructure (Hon)/ B.business (mgt) RMIT city/bundoora

Mod Edit: Changed title - Phy124
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:30:45 am by Phy124 »

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
Re: Monash or Melbourne for Civil Engineering?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 04:00:59 am »
My atar basically allows me to choose either, but i dont know which to pick.
I want to do a bachelor of commerce to broaden my employment options because im not really sure i even want to do engineering, but its my most appealing area compared to the rest.

B.Com Melb then master of civil eng

bcom/ beng (Honours) Monash clayton

Beng and infrastructure (Hon)/ B.business (mgt) RMIT city/bundoora

Mod Edit: Changed title - Phy124
So I'm just going to start by writing off RMIT because I feel that Monash and Melbourne are better in pretty much all aspects. Although, when I finished VCE I did in fact have 1. Monash, 2. RMIT, 3. Melbourne as my preference list but in hindsight I would have had 1. Monash, 2. Melbourne, 3. RMIT. (Fortunately it didn't matter anyway as I got into Monash :P)

OK firstly both Civil Engineering and Commerce are highly reputatable (and well ranked) at Monash and Melbourne, with Monash being marginally higher for Civil Engineering and I would say probably Melbourne being marginally higher for commerce although it depends on the major. Based on this I don't think it's really going to matter which uni you've graduated from when seeking jobs as they're the two best for each in Victoria. Similarly, both Melbourne and Monash Clayton (where you will do the degrees) have thriving atmospheres and a wealth of opportunities to engage socially, so your university experience is likely to be similar irregardless of which university you attend.

I can't really offer much advice for which to choose between the two but am aware that a number of students chose Monash over Melbourne because they don't like the Melbourne model. Additionally, at Melbourne it might be arguably harder as both year 4 and year 5 will consist of all engineering units while only year 5 consists of all engineering units at Monash. Maybe location might also be a deciding factor? If you live in the north or west it might be better to attend Melbourne due to travel time, while if you live in the east/south-east it might be better to attend Monash.

What I can say is that I am studying Civil Engineering at Monash and for the most part have enjoyed my time at university and have no regrets of choosing Monash over Melbourne :)

I have one question for you - you say that you want to do commerce to broaden your employment options because you're not sure that you want to do engineering. Does this mean you would be happy to do just the commerce degree if you studied a few engineering units and didn't like them? Or alternatively if you're just doing it for the degree and prospects and don't think you'll enjoy it much or be good at it, it might be a good idea to go to Monash as you'll already be in an engineering degree, while at Melbourne you will need reasonable (I don't think excessively high) marks to get into the masters of engineering.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:37:27 am by Phy124 »
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup