Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 04:51:20 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Biomedicine  (Read 4930 times)  Share 

Edward Elric

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
Bachelor of Biomedicine
« on: December 21, 2014, 03:31:30 am »
Hey all, so I got an Atar of 94.2, not quite enough to qualify for biomed at Melbourne, which requires at least a 95 or above, if you have Seas, but was wondering if I had any chance of getting in. Should I still put it as a top preference, or lower it or remove it completely? My second preference would probably be Science, which requires a 78 or above with Seas. I really want to do medicine, after completing the Gamsat, but which course would prepare me more, Science or Biomed? Thanks.

Edward Elric

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
Re: Bachelor of Biomedicine
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 03:02:04 pm »
Bump

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 04:23:13 pm »
If you have SEAS and you don't meet the 95 requirement for Biomed then it is unlikely you will get a spot. Leave it as top preference and then have Science as 2nd. That way, you still have a shot at biomed.

The topic of science vs biomed for preparation for medicine has been asked and answered countless of times and the general consensus is that in science you don't need to do physics/maths whereas in biomed physics/maths/stats subjects in first year are chosen for you. In saying so, it is arguable that Science Chemistry cover a larger depth and range of content which may help you especially for the organic chemistry component of SIII of the gamsat. 
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

Edward Elric

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 06:16:38 pm »
If you have SEAS and you don't meet the 95 requirement for Biomed then it is unlikely you will get a spot. Leave it as top preference and then have Science as 2nd. That way, you still have a shot at biomed.

The topic of science vs biomed for preparation for medicine has been asked and answered countless of times and the general consensus is that in science you don't need to do physics/maths whereas in biomed physics/maths/stats subjects in first year are chosen for you. In saying so, it is arguable that Science Chemistry cover a larger depth and range of content which may help you especially for the organic chemistry component of SIII of the gamsat.

Okay, thanks greatly appreciated :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 06:29:11 pm »
+7
The difference between science and biomed is so little that it doesn't really matter which you do anyway
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Whynot123

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »
+1
The difference between science and biomed is so little that it doesn't really matter which you do anyway

This.