Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:40:49 pm

Author Topic: I HATE PHYSICS (GAMSAT PREP.)  (Read 4274 times)  Share 

Gutthi

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Aitken College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
I HATE PHYSICS (GAMSAT PREP.)
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:53 pm »
Hey guys, as the title says, I hate Physics, which is the reason why I didn't do it in Year 11 and 12. Now that I realized that physics is assessed in the GAMSAT,  should I take first year Physics in Uni?

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
Re: I HATE PHYSICS (GAMSAT PREP.)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:22 pm »
First year physics (at Melbourne at least) was a terrible experience and I hated it so much. I pretty much self-studied. Getting your hands on a physics textbook should be all that's necessary. Just watch Khan Academy or Brightstorm for the theory.

That being said it could doing it at university may give you motivation to study it over semester so you can just revise in holidays, rather than learning from scratch, and you may have a better understanding of theory since you'll have tutorials and practicals.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

Gutthi

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:16 pm »
Thankyou for your reply, also I was wondering, since a "high GPA" is required for Medicine, I am sure that doing Physics won't benefit me in those terms at all. So suppose I complete practice GAMSAT papers, will I get used to the Physics that may appear in the Exam or is it worth taking first year Physics? (just to let you know, I completely hated Year 10 Physics)

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:37 pm »
Would units 1 and 2 of VCE physics suffice? :P
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +82
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:21:54 pm »
Thankyou for your reply, also I was wondering, since a "high GPA" is required for Medicine, I am sure that doing Physics won't benefit me in those terms at all. So suppose I complete practice GAMSAT papers, will I get used to the Physics that may appear in the Exam or is it worth taking first year Physics? (just to let you know, I completely hated Year 10 Physics)

If you hated it that much then it may just be a detriment to your GPA. You're best off self-studying and doing an adequate number of practice problems. Remember, the GAMSAT doesn't require you to know every dot point in the study design like VCAA does, just know the basics.

Potentially for some parts, but the electromagnetism and light questions are of Year 12 level - albeit, the basics. You're best off watching Khan academy and learning from there. If you're completely fresh to Physics then I suggest revising the content, but if you've done it before then a quick overlook over some lecture notes and Khan Academy videos should suffice.
2012-2013: VCE
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine at Monash University

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:26:11 pm »

No, you won't get used to it. You need to know how to do problems with Motion, Force, Energy, Fluids and Electricity (these are only the most common topics...they could cover more). If you don't have Year 12 knowledge or above then a lot of practise material and solutions aren't going to be as helpful.

You'd have a tough time I'd imagine...
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

Gutthi

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:48:49 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies. :)

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 04:13:48 pm »
+3
Hey there. I struggled with physics this year heaps (VCE), I got 60 something on my first SAC and thought I was toast. I realised that my carefully curated notes were useless...I started spamming practise SACs and exams. Now I'm top of my class! I assume GAMSAT will work the same way.

In short. Spam questions.
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »
+2
Cool advice, but maybe next time please don't bump up threads from months ago? Thanks.