Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:08:49 am

Author Topic: 3/4 Psychology  (Read 1248 times)

mytime

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
3/4 Psychology
« on: June 04, 2015, 08:34:46 am »
I need help determining the IV and DV of this experiment. I have the method here, yet the IV and DV must relate to Glanzer and Cunitz’s studies. This is all the information I got so I’m a bit confused.

Experiment:
The experiment used a repeated measures design where 23 female VCE psychology students aged 16-18 were conveniently sampled from a ¾ psychology class at a high school in Melbourne. They used repeated measures design: each participant  of  the convenient sample  was part of both the experimental and control group. Materials used were 25 pens, 25 blank sheets of paper, 1 sheet containing two different lists of 15 different words, 1 whiteboard marker and whiteboard. Participants were given written instructions to read from the whiteboard. They were also aware of which condition they were tested on.

A list of 15 words was read out by the experimenter, who raised her hand when she finished, signalling the start of the time period when participants tried to write as many words as they could recall in any order (free recall). The participants were allowed as much time as they needed, and instructed on the whiteboard to put their pen down to let the experimenter know that they had finished. The participants waited until all participants had put down their pens. Subsequently the procedure was repeated; this time the experimenter edited the instructions to inform the participants that this time it was required that they recall another  list of 15 different words in serial order (serial recall).

Once again the list of new 15 words was read out by the experimenter, who raised her hand when she finished, signalling the start of the time period when participants tried to write. using just a pen and paper, as many words as they could recall in serial order (serial recall).  The participants were allowed as much time as they needed, and instructed on the whiteboard to put their pen down to let the experimenter know that they had finished. The participants waited until all participants had put down their pens.

Once all students had put down their pens, data was collected by the experimenter by asking participants to raise their hands if they correctly recalled the first word, second word, and so on until the 15th word in any order. She then counted how many students correctly recalled each word and displayed it on a table on the whiteboard, which was split into two columns: ‘words’ and ‘no of participants with correct recall’. Then they were asked to raise their hand if they correctly recalled the first word, second word, and so on until the 15th word in serial order. This information was also displayed in a separate table.

I initially thought that the IV and DV were

IV: Where the participants were instructed to use free recall or serial recall
DV: The amount of words recalled

But apparently the IV is not participants whether were instructed to use free recall or serial recall, and MUST relate to Glanzer and Cunitz's study. I’m not really sure of an IV that links in with Glanzer and Cunitz’s studies. Help is appreciated!

2016 GOALS: Mathematical Methods [40+], Chemistry [45+], French [40+], Literature, [47+]