Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:00:09 am

Author Topic: How to Get a Band 6 in HSC Mathematics  (Read 52791 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: How to Get a Band 6 in HSC Mathematics
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 11:15:23 pm »
They don't necessarily reflect the type of questions you get examined in the HSC if you ask me.

I agree with this! I think you are better off doing questions direct from the source (aka, BOSTES), if you're after a bit more of a challenge then go and do some of the HSC Papers from the late 90's and even early 2000's, they were harder back then ;)

You could also set yourself challenges like doing a paper in 2 hours instead of 3, which is what I did towards the end ;D

But yeah, doing questions from HSC papers is the best indicator in my opinion ;D Trial papers have their place, but in my opinion they supplement the HSC papers (that's how I used them, for extra practice in certain areas) :)

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 12:25:10 am »
I agree with this! I think you are better off doing questions direct from the source (aka, BOSTES), if you're after a bit more of a challenge then go and do some of the HSC Papers from the late 90's and even early 2000's, they were harder back then ;)

You could also set yourself challenges like doing a paper in 2 hours instead of 3, which is what I did towards the end ;D

But yeah, doing questions from HSC papers is the best indicator in my opinion ;D Trial papers have their place, but in my opinion they supplement the HSC papers (that's how I used them, for extra practice in certain areas) :)

With the HSC papers, should i first do the older ones and gradually move onto the latest ones or the opposite?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 08:06:03 am »
With the HSC papers, should i first do the older ones and gradually move onto the latest ones or the opposite?
Up to you. These things are what you need to figure out yourself.

I did them in a randomised order.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 09:10:13 am »
Up to you. These things are what you need to figure out yourself.

I did them in a randomised order.

And I personally did them in chronological order, but I don't think it matters much :)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 09:53:34 am »
+2

I did an old one, then a new one, then an old one, then a new one, until I completely lost track and just did random ones I didn't think I'd done 18 times before.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

sophiemacpherso

• Trailblazer
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 09:37:18 pm »
Hey!! My school has trials this term, and we're being tested on content we'll be learning right up until the week before... How would you go about doing past papers in this scenario?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 09:43:43 pm »
Hey!! My school has trials this term, and we're being tested on content we'll be learning right up until the week before... How would you go about doing past papers in this scenario?
If your school has past papers then you should just be doing it.

There's going to be a need to learn and study simultaneously for the 3-4 weeks leading up to the exam. Start getting into past papers ASAP, ensuring that you can handle everything on content that's already been taught. But you're going to have to find a balance.

The problem: You most likely have to study and learn for not just that subject
The resolutions:
1. Everyone messes up with you, so moderation will save you all regardless in the final exam.
2. If maths is the ONLY subject where you're being taught content up to there then you have a bit more breathing room. There's a different benefit in that you should be able to retain information you learnt recently more easily.

Finding the balance between studying and learning new content is going to be a bit rough. Put a small amount of faith into the likelihood of retaining newly learnt content more easily, and make sure you have all the other stuff covered first. Past papers are easy to find (THSC), so just do every single question relevant to your trials (i.e. you will be examined on). If you see some questions that appear as though they may be taught in that one week before the trials, you can consider bookmarking them to go back to later.

The idea is, if you have all of the old stuff covered, you'll feel more at ease and ready to add the new stuff in as well.

herb123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 11:31:33 am »
Great tips!

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 11:59:47 am »
Hi, do you mind if I ask how you spread out your time in the exam. Specifically for 2u?
how long roughly did you have just to check over your answers and did you have any time goals for each section (e.g. 6 mins for multiple choice, 30 mins for q15)
currently q 11/12/13's are taking me anywhere between 7 to 20 minutes each and I'm not sure how much time i should be allocating for each ?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 12:58:42 pm »
+1
Hi, do you mind if I ask how you spread out your time in the exam. Specifically for 2u?
how long roughly did you have just to check over your answers and did you have any time goals for each section (e.g. 6 mins for multiple choice, 30 mins for q15)
currently q 11/12/13's are taking me anywhere between 7 to 20 minutes each and I'm not sure how much time i should be allocating for each ?

You need to be aware of the fact that there is no concrete rule, or even range, that will simply work for anyone.

However, if you want my own experience, it's definitely pretty hard to draw memories from that long ago (I did 2U in Yr 10) but it was somewhere along the lines of:
- 10 min checking
- 5-10 min M/C
- Randomly assorted into whatever I felt like it. Sometimes I just suddenly stop doing working out and start checking and vice versa.

As the papers were 3 hours, from a high aimer's perspective I also tried to make sure I took no longer than 30min on Q11-13. Else, depends on what you get on the day.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 07:22:44 pm »
+1

The only big timing advice I have is that you need to keep writing - Try not to stop writing for more than a minute or two at a time, at least until all the easier questions are done and you are down to the last few tricky ones! ;D

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 10:55:55 pm »
Cool, Thanks for the advice  :D

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 12:34:10 pm »
see how usually questions have part i,ii,iii to them, that usually leading, requiring you to use the answer of the previous question , so iv heard that if you cant find out the answer to part i, you can just make up the answer and carry on doing ii
do i make sense lol
ATAR Goal 90

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 12:40:20 pm »
see how usually questions have part i,ii,iii to them, that usually leading, requiring you to use the answer of the previous question , so iv heard that if you cant find out the answer to part i, you can just make up the answer and carry on doing ii
do i make sense lol
Yes. Of course you can do this - why not?

taylorlucy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 10:32:20 pm »
Hi :) I know this is an old thread but I have a question regarding the advice about reading over notes the morning of the exam: given that this year's exam is a 2-5pm exam, what's the best way to prepare the morning before the exam? Because realistically there's plenty of time to revise or even do a practice paper then, but I'm concerned that my (somewhat limited  :P) critical thinking skills will be dead and gone by about 2:30 if I'm applying myself all morning? Afternoon exams are such a hassle!
2017 HSC: Advanced English / Extension 1 English / Mathematics / Extension 1 Maths / Biology / Visual Arts

ATAR: 93.55