Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:03:31 pm

Author Topic: English tutor wanted :(  (Read 11485 times)  Share 

spm1

• Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2016
English tutor wanted :(
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:43:15 pm »
Hello,

Does anyone know a good english tutor who is also a VCAA assessor?

Thank you and your help is much appreciated! :)

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Re: English tutor wanted :(
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »
try tutorfinder, they have pre good tutors there

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:54:50 pm »
Chris O'Callaghan (just google him) is a current teacher at Xavier College as well as a VCAA assessor. Heard lots of good stuff about him and produces many high achieving students.

One of my friends at school goes to this lady named Karen Ford who is also a VCAA Assessor.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:04:14 pm »
Chris O'Callaghan (just google him) is a current teacher at Xavier College as well as a VCAA assessor. Heard lots of good stuff about him and produces many high achieving students.

One of my friends at school goes to this lady named Karen Ford who is also a VCAA Assessor.

hey appleandbee
do you have Karen Ford's number and do you know how much she charges for one hour?

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:12:28 pm »
hey appleandbee
do you have Karen Ford's number and do you know how much she charges for one hour?

Hey kimmytaaa,

I can ask my friend for her phone number (or email- some tutors may prefer that), and I can get back to you within the next few days. Hopefully pms work by then

As for her rates, I not too sure exactly, but this was my friends experience: she told her she could only pay $70 ph (individual) so she got rate (kind of a bargain in comparison to many assessors I know), also apparently Karen Ford is friends with one of the English teachers in my school and because my school is a selective school (so that may have helped a bit lol).
VCE Class of 2015

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:02:02 am »
Hey kimmytaaa,

I can ask my friend for her phone number (or email- some tutors may prefer that), and I can get back to you within the next few days. Hopefully pms work by then

As for her rates, I not too sure exactly, but this was my friends experience: she told her she could only pay $70 ph (individual) so she got rate (kind of a bargain in comparison to many assessors I know), also apparently Karen Ford is friends with one of the English teachers in my school and because my school is a selective school (so that may have helped a bit lol).

Hey appleandbee
Thanks, sorry for the late reply and hope to hear from you soon :)

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 09:35:33 am »
hey appleandbee
since pm doesn't work, can you email me via [email protected]

One Step at a Time

• Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 08:40:24 pm »
Hi appleandbee  :D

Was Chris O'Callaghan your English tutor this year? If so, how was he? I am interested in being tutored by him! Thank you  :)

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 08:01:53 pm »
Hi appleandbee  :D

Was Chris O'Callaghan your English tutor this year? If so, how was he? I am interested in being tutored by him! Thank you  :)

Hi! I didn't go to him for tutoring, I only decided to get tutored for English halfway through the year, so I went to someone else whose rates my accessible for me. My parents considered him a few years back though. I have a couple to friends that were taught year 12 English by him at school and well as a few that were tutored by him. They were all happy with him- general comments were that he is extremely knowledgeable, dedicated and thorough (especially with essay marking -although you have to pay $25 per essay outside of lessons). He can come across as a bit weird and cocky initially. I was told by a couple of friends that it is only somewhat worthwhile going to him if you are a low to mid 40s calibre student aiming for 49 or 50 and if you don't have a particularly amazing English teacher.
VCE Class of 2015

ST0123

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 06:41:56 pm »
Hi spm1,
I would recommend Liz Fear: http://www.xlcr.com.au/. She might not be right if you're looking for constructive criticism and a lot of attention (she teaches groups of 5-10) but she's an excellent teacher and a VCAA examiner.
ST0123
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:19:30 pm by ST0123 »

frank_moon

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 08:49:23 am »
Hi! I didn't go to him for tutoring, I only decided to get tutored for English halfway through the year, so I went to someone else whose rates my accessible for me. My parents considered him a few years back though. I have a couple to friends that were taught year 12 English by him at school and well as a few that were tutored by him. They were all happy with him- general comments were that he is extremely knowledgeable, dedicated and thorough (especially with essay marking -although you have to pay $25 per essay outside of lessons). He can come across as a bit weird and cocky initially. I was told by a couple of friends that it is only somewhat worthwhile going to him if you are a low to mid 40s calibre student aiming for 49 or 50 and if you don't have a particularly amazing English teacher.
Never ever met her
Never ever spoke to her
Keyboard warrior

Draw your own conclusions about when people peddle unsubstantiated fiction as fact
* sigh * ::)