Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:53:07 am

Author Topic: Should I stay in Sydney or move to Melbourne/some other capital city?  (Read 5810 times)  Share 

slapme

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:16:13 pm by slapme »

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
i can confirm melbourne commerce is awesome and i have met tonnes of kids who have moved down here from sydney/brisbane/hongkong even when they got into the best unis in their own city. if you dont like your life in sydney then moving down here will not hurt your job prospects at all

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
+1
I'm currently living in the family home in Sydney but the family is very dysfunctional. I've been saving up for a while and should be able to move out by the end of January 2016. I would love to major in economics and finance, and fill up the rest of my course with econometrics and maths/statistics units. I'm not too sure what I want to be doing as a career but I definitely want to open as many doors as possible, maximise my networking opportunities and get relevant practical experience whilst at university. One day I want to go into the baking and finance sector, another day I want to go into consulting and on another day, I want to work for the treasury - clearly, it's better just to keep as many doors open as possible! I'm not sure if it's best for me to stay in Sydney and go to UNSW/USYD or move to Melbourne and study at Monash/UniMELB. Please let me know what you think! :)
Well, you're definitely right about building a massive network if you want to keep your doors open. One advantage to moving, which isn't necessarily due to your choice of degree, is the networking opportunities that you'll force yourself into. For example, if you stay on campus at Melbourne, you'd be forced into social situations that you could easily avoid if you were just commuting to USyd from home.

Either way, if your household is dysfunctional enough (very sorry to hear it, by the way :( ) for you to plan extensively to leave it, then you should probs move out (especially if your family is the type of dysfunctional that will still assist you financially). Then it's a question of whether to move to Sydney or Melbourne.

As for advantages of Melb vs. Syd... there probably aren't that many. All are phenomenal unis to graduate from.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
+1
I personally think in terms of networking in the finance sector will be better in Sydney rather than Melbourne considering majority of the "bigger" banks are in Sydney compared to Melbourne. Have you had a look at UNSW Co-op? It's a really good course offered at UNSW (minimum ATAR is 96) where you gain industry experience within the finance industry as well as financial support (scholarship covering ~$18000 pa) which would definitely cut down costs for you whilst allowing you to network with like-minded people as well as within the industry that you are looking to be a part of in the future :)

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Re: Should I stay in Sydney or move to Melbourne/some other capital city?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:49:37 pm »
+2
I moved from Melbourne to Sydney for work.

Sydney = banks and financial sector
Melbourne = utilities and telcos
Canberra = government

Big Four have a presence in every capital city.

I think you'll find greater networking opportunities in Sydney, given you're interested in the financial sector.

Rent is much cheaper in Melb.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||