Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:22:24 pm

Author Topic: International Studies at Deakin?  (Read 3170 times)  Share 

PrinceAli

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Box Hill High School
International Studies at Deakin?
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:12:25 pm »
Hello I was just wondering if anyone knows the quality of the course of International Studies in Deakin university, and how 'political' the course is. I would prefer to choose Deakin university over Monash due to being able to major in Middle Eastern studies however my parents have doubts about the reputation of Deakin.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
Re: International Studies at Deakin?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:27:42 pm »
You could take the following units under a Jewish Studies, International Relations, International Studies or Politics major at Monash. But it does not constitute to a Middle Eastern major like Deakin would allow you.

ATS2698 Middle East politics
ATS2586 Islam: Principles, civilisations, influences
ATS3287 War and peace: Models of conflict resolution* (Prato)
ATS3582 The history of the Arab-Israeli conflict
ATS3599 Modern Israel: History, politics and society
ATS3580 The Middle East in the modern world

Just not not all units I listed are compatible with all the majors I listed haha.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:30:45 pm by Reus »
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

PrinceAli

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Box Hill High School
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:52:11 pm »
You could take the following units under a Jewish Studies, International Relations, International Studies or Politics major at Monash. But it does not constitute to a Middle Eastern major like Deakin would allow you.

ATS2698 Middle East politics
ATS2586 Islam: Principles, civilisations, influences
ATS3287 War and peace: Models of conflict resolution* (Prato)
ATS3582 The history of the Arab-Israeli conflict
ATS3599 Modern Israel: History, politics and society
ATS3580 The Middle East in the modern world

Just not not all units I listed are compatible with all the majors I listed haha.

Hey,
thank you for you're nice and quick response.

I would have preferred a major as I could go more in depth in the subject, however being from Monash how did you find it for the Global Studies course? Whilst I highly doubt I can get the 90 atar needed for the course, it was definitely one that did intrigue me.

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:56:08 pm »
Hello I was just wondering if anyone knows the quality of the course of International Studies in Deakin university, and how 'political' the course is. I would prefer to choose Deakin university over Monash due to being able to major in Middle Eastern studies however my parents have doubts about the reputation of Deakin.

Deakin has a good reputation so I wouldn't worry about that. Obviously some people will think Melbourne and Monash above it but it really depends on what sort of career you want out of your degree and whether they care about prestige, and what is considered prestigious within that career (e.g. Deakin has an excellent reputation for teaching, very prestigious among potential employers. Melbourne not so much when it comes to teaching). It just depends really. If Monash doesn't offer what you want though there's really no point going there. As for how political the course is, I'm not sure. Does the course structure on their website tell you much? If not I would have a chat to them on open day. Burwood's is the 23rd of August. :)

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:38:25 pm »

Hey,
thank you for you're nice and quick response.

I would have preferred a major as I could go more in depth in the subject, however being from Monash how did you find it for the Global Studies course? Whilst I highly doubt I can get the 90 atar needed for the course, it was definitely one that did intrigue me.
BGS is a great course. I'm absolutely loving it.

There are 3 majors (International studies, International relations or Global cultural literacies) you can choose from but everyone needs to complete four core units (if I recall four or five) which deal with social change, community engagement and the developing world. Also within course progression, you need to complete 18 credit points (3 units) overseas/NGO placement.

So all in all, a brilliant course with brilliant staff. The experience gained with the abroad study and placements will only benefit career prospects.

Oh and you never know if you can't get 90, exams haven't even begun. If you want it, you'll get it. Good luck :).
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University