Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:15:20 am

Author Topic: Monash ARTS/ LAW Course Structuring Help  (Read 5756 times)  Share 

rrd93

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Monash University
Monash ARTS/ LAW Course Structuring Help
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:58:03 am »
Hi there!

Need help with course structuring, any input will be much appreciated.

I'm currently in my third year of Arts/ Law. I have yet to do:

PROP B
CONSTI
EQUITY
TRUSTS
CORPS
ADMIN
CIVIC PROCEDURE
LAWYERS, ETHICS AND SOCIETY
EVIDENCE
I also have 4 Law electives and 3 Arts units left on top of that.

What of these subjects should/ should not be done together? For example, I understand that Equity + Trusts builds on knowledge from Prop B.

I would be immensely grateful for any thoughts/ advice on course structure. :)

rrd93

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
Re: Monash ARTS/ LAW Course Structuring Help
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:59 am »
Planning on listening to Prop B lectures over the break to help with Equity + Trusts. Currently I'm thinking of doing:

FOURTH YEAR:

SEM 1

EQUITY
CONSTI
ADMIN
1 ARTS UNIT

SEM 2

PROP B
TRUSTS
CORPS
1 ARTS UNIT

FIFTH YEAR:

FIRST SEM:

CIVIL PROCEDURE
LAWYERS ETHICS AND SOCIETY
2 LAW ELECTIVES

SECOND SEMESTER:

EVIDENCE
1 ARTS UNITS
1 LAW UNIT

Rohmer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 07:28:26 pm »
+1
Up to you, but my advice would be to change that order in terms of Prop B/Equity/Trusts (3 of the hardest core units).

I think it's best to have done Property B before Equity and Equity before trusts, however you could do Property B with Equity then Trusts, or Property B then Equity with Trusts. Many people do either of the latter combinations, but I think doing Property B after Equity (and alongside trusts) is kind of the wrong order. I'd be inclined to go for Property B 1st Sem. That leaves you with the obvious problem of having a disastrous Sem 2 with Equity/Trusts/Corps...then again, even with Prop B and not Equity that's a very hard semester.

Solution: Swap Property B for Equity, but push either Trusts or Corps into S1 2015, and take Civil Procedure over the summer (or alternatively, take an elective over the summer). Equity & Trusts and 1 Arts unit will be a lot more manageable without having corps added on to it. Plus, even though it in some ways make sense to do Equity before Trusts, you can do them at the same time, and there is a bit of overlap, so it's useful in that sense to do them in the same semester.

I would also consider swapping Admin for your S2 2015 elective. That thereby avoids doing 3 core law units in the 1st semester too. The electives are often easier than the cores, although in some cases they are just as hard/harder, it depends.

Edit: that all sounds rather complicated, but it would look something like:

S1 4th year: Prop B, Consti, 1 Arts Unit, 1 Law Elective
S2 4th year: Equity, Trusts, 1 Arts Unit

Summer (Civil, or an elective, e.g. Neg/Med which can be done in 1 week, in which case you could put civil in 1st sem 4th yr)

S1 5th year: Ethics, Corps, 2 electives
S2 5th year: Evidence, 1 arts unit, Admin
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:38:00 pm by Rohmer »

rrd93

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:29 pm »
Hi Rohmer,

Thanks for your reply! I would love to do Prop B in semester one but unfortunately, it only runs in the second semester. What if I did Equity in 5th year Sem 1 and Trusts in 5th year Sem 2 instead? Would that be better?

Rohmer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:24:26 am »
+1
Hi Rohmer,

Thanks for your reply! I would love to do Prop B in semester one but unfortunately, it only runs in the second semester. What if I did Equity in 5th year Sem 1 and Trusts in 5th year Sem 2 instead? Would that be better?

Oh yeah - my bad - don't know how I overlooked the fact that A and B subjects only run once a year...
Yeah, I think that would probably be a better setup; a lot of people do leave trusts/equity till final year.