Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:30:00 am

Author Topic: Biomedicine at UoM or Biomedicine/Science at Monash University?  (Read 26917 times)  Share 

warya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
Re: Biomedicine at UoM or Biomedicine/Science at Monash University?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 01:28:13 pm »
Cheers guys, and so with the Melbourne University Biomedicine, what if you have the highest WAM in your cohort, do you still have to sit the GAMSAT? Like for Monash if you're top 7% then as Pi said you get a guarantee position. Also how many times can you sit the GAMSAT? And can you get into Medicine without it, via the Melbourne University Biomedicine?

First question, nope.
You can sit the GAMSAT twice (2nd and third year) and also after you finish biomedicine. There's also GAMSAT UK which you can sit in first year as well. And no, you can't get into medicine with out it unless your chancellors or the 99 atar ffp mentioned before.
http://i.imgur.com/VK9S9ET.gif

2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science, Monash University
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 02:40:48 pm »
Okay so hopefully last question here...

If I do Biomedicine at Melbourne, what WAM do I need to maintain in order to qualify for the GAMSAT?

Also if I don't pass the GAMSAT, then what happens now? Can I still go for medicine or do I need to do some other post graduate course that doesn't relate to medicine?
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 02:44:19 pm »

If I do Biomedicine at Melbourne, what WAM do I need to maintain in order to qualify for the GAMSAT?

Also if I don't pass the GAMSAT, then what happens now? Can I still go for medicine or do I need to do some other post graduate course that doesn't relate to medicine?

Anyone can sit the GAMSAT, there's no WAM barrier or cut-off to it. The WAM/GPA and GAMSAT scores are used for admission purposes (and probably determining who gets MMIs, I've never really looked into it so I'm not so sure). There's threads on PagingDr that have all these stats about what people got for GPA and GAMSAT and whether or not they got offers in various unis.

If you don't do well enough at the GAMSAT then I don't think it's possible to do medicine. You may get into optometry or some other health science graduate-entry course.

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2015, 02:53:24 pm »
I commuted 1.5 hrs to Melbourne every day in first year and my god was it fucking exhausting (wake up at 5.30 like 4 days a week)...and then you start skipping lectures
guys might be a superrr simple q but what do you mean by full fee place ? I srs know nothing about uni and stuff.  :-[
Edit: apologies  for hijacking your thread cosine

Government doesnt susbsidise your fees. You pay 250,000 from your own pocket - you can get a loan from the government to cover around $100,000, but you need to work out how to finance the rest. You also arent guaranteed an internship.

If you want to apply to many medical schools, you need to sit the GAMSAT irrespective of what your WAM is.

If you dont get a good enough GAMSAT score, try again and try again. If you dont manage to get a competitive GAMSAT by the time you finish your Bachelors, you can

a) Take a gap year
b) Do honours
c) Do another degree

And take the GAMSAT again and reapply for medicine.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

sunshine98

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2015, 03:25:32 pm »
Thanks for the help guys, and sorry for hijacking once more  but last q I promise 
Just wondering if this is possible-  can you transfer to either uni for third year? So like doing 2 years at one and going to do the third at the other? Would you be considered for the non- GAMSAT pathway at monash if you did this? (given that you had the marks and stuff) 

Thank you  :)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2015, 03:29:13 pm »
Hey guys I can't stop with the questions...

Okay so once again im leaning towards Melbourne University Biomedicine, because mainly of the travel. Can someone tell me why the ATAR requirement is higher for Melbourne University as compared to Monash University? Because so far I see no benefit in doing Biomed at Melb over Monash...

LoadedWithPotatoes

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2015, 03:34:29 pm »
It's just supply and demand.. people with a higher ATAR want to do Biomed so the cut-off increases. Why? Probably for some of the reasons you're deciding to go, with travel being a huge factor. If Monash was located in the area where Melb Uni was and was more easily accessible, the ATAR would probably be similar to the Biomed cuttoff for Unimelb atm.

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2015, 03:35:36 pm »
ATAR clearly-ins are determined by the relative supply and demand of positions for a particular course. A university will set a certain number of places for students that they can take in, and then they rank all of the potential students in order of highest to lowest ATAR to determine the clearly-in. An exception to this obviously includes guaranteed entry through Access Melbourne.

The ATAR is not indicative of how well the course is taught or how much stronger is necessarily is compared to identical courses at other universities. If you're looking for more reason to go to Melbourne, I suppose you could consider the fact that you can pick a major in Biomed there. I don't think that is possible at Monash. Either way, I hope you're happy with your decision! Keep in mind you can't change preferences after tomorrow at noon. See you at UoM if you go there! :)

edit: ninja'd, oh well
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne

JI2015

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2015, 03:35:48 pm »
+3
Hi guys, I am sure you will be interested in reading this!

2015: VCE
2016-18: BBiomedSc (Monash)
2019-2022: DDS (Melb)

sunshine98

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2015, 04:23:39 pm »
Hi guys, I am sure you will be interested in reading this!
thank you so much that has  definitely answered my question . I think I've made a decision too :)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2015, 10:03:05 pm »
+2
Just to clarify, if you go to Monash you will still need to sit the GAMSAT, in order to allow you to apply to other medical schools. It would be a large risk to not sit it and hope to be one of the top students.

FFP grads in Vic are in category 1 and will get internships ahead of interstate graduates. In the next few years I would not expect any of them to miss out on internships as a sole result of overcrowding (especially since VIC uses a CV based application system). In 7 years when you guys are graduating is less clear, but the agreement guaranteeing CSP internships may also have changed.

Also, travel time is a huge factor and I personally would not travel 90 minutes (i think this was the number discussed) if i had the options of a) moving or b) travelling less to a closer university.

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2015, 10:26:55 pm »
+2
Just to clarify, if you go to Monash you will still need to sit the GAMSAT, in order to allow you to apply to other medical schools. It would be a large risk to not sit it and hope to be one of the top students.

FFP grads in Vic are in category 1 and will get internships ahead of interstate graduates. In the next few years I would not expect any of them to miss out on internships as a sole result of overcrowding (especially since VIC uses a CV based application system). In 7 years when you guys are graduating is less clear, but the agreement guaranteeing CSP internships may also have changed.

Also, travel time is a huge factor and I personally would not travel 90 minutes (i think this was the number discussed) if i had the options of a) moving or b) travelling less to a closer university.

Yeah you're right Russ, and I think I have made up my mind with Bachelor of Biomedicine at Melbourne University because it's less travel time and plus it's been my goal since Year 11! Now I just hope they accept me as I'm 0.15 off the Access entry!

Thank you for the help

warya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2015, 11:12:08 pm »
Is it easy to transfer between the two unis if I decide after the first day that the travel is too much? Haha
And will my Acess Melbourne still count if I want to transfer into Melbourne biomed?
http://i.imgur.com/VK9S9ET.gif

2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science, Monash University

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2015, 11:56:27 pm »
+1
Is it easy to transfer between the two unis if I decide after the first day that the travel is too much? Haha
And will my Acess Melbourne still count if I want to transfer into Melbourne biomed?

Tomorrow get to Monash at 8am, if after that you can't see yourself doing that regularly for three years then you know it's too much for you :P