Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:59 pm

Author Topic: Is Commerce right for me?  (Read 4924 times)  Share 

bills

Is Commerce right for me?
« on: December 23, 2015, 03:37:21 pm »
Hi,
I am starting year 11 next year, and I have been thinking about a few career options. First things first, I should probably talk about myself. I am doing quite well in my subjects, and I believe an ATAR of 90+ is quite possible. I like maths, mainly because of the problem-solving skills required and the satisfaction when you get when you answer those difficult questions correctly. I don't mind science, however, it doesn't "thrill" me like maths does. I have thought about the career of medicine, but I don't think I could ever get into it as it basically requires an ATAR of 99+. Plus, you have to be dedicated for the rest of your life (studying for years, working long hours and be "on-call" for emergencies) which doesn't appeal to me. I've also thought about engineering, which does sound interesting. The idea of solving problems and making skyscrapers sounds fun. However, there MANY branches of engineering which seems a bit daunting. Also, like I said before, science doesn't thrill me, and it seems like in all branches of engineering you will have to use some science.

So then, we come to commerce. Right now, although I know nothing about it, fiance seems interesting. The idea of using maths to solve problems seems intriguing. Also, I heard the pay for commerce graduates isn't too bad either. Any ideas?

TL;DR: Medicine, engineering or commerce?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Is Commerce right for me?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 03:46:52 pm »
You have so much time to decide it is actually unreal.

My suggestion: go to uni open days. Go to their different stalls and ask them what their courses are like. Do any activities they have. Ask them what a career in x is like. Etcetera, etcetera.