Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:36:50 pm

Author Topic: How difficult is it to get a guaranteed medicine full fee place at Melb Uni  (Read 2003 times)  Share 

AllG_

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Hey so I was reading on the melb uni website that if you get above 99.00 and maintain a weighted average mark of 75%, you are guaranteed an Australian full fee place. Can someone help me with answering the following questions:
1. How difficult is it to maintain a weighted average mark of 75% at melbourne university? Is it similar to a credit, distinction, high distinction...
2. On their website it says that they offer 90 domestic and international full fee places, and from the 90 places i'm guessing about half would be allocated for domestic students. Given that a lot of people would probably have a 99+ atar and be able to maintain a gpa of 75%, how fierce is the competition to get that full fee place? On the website, it says that "satisfactory performance in an interview that demonstrate adequate communication skills is required", but are these interviews really as easy as they say it to be? Because it would appear that is the interview that separates the students
Cheers

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
A 75% average is not super easy but it's definitely do-able with consistent work throughout the degree.

They don't fill in the FFP places as far as I know. So if you have the 75% average and have the guarantee and pass the interview, you'll get a spot.
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

AllG_

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
A 75% average is not super easy but it's definitely do-able with consistent work throughout the degree.

They don't fill in the FFP places as far as I know. So if you have the 75% average and have the guarantee and pass the interview, you'll get a spot.

Thanks for the reply. Would you or anyone know the format of the interview (easy-going chat, or MMI), and how difficult it is to pass it? If it is true that FFP places do not fill up, the interview would be there just to ensure that they don't give full fee places to, like, introvert anti-social students, no?

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
Thanks for the reply. Would you or anyone know the format of the interview (easy-going chat, or MMI), and how difficult it is to pass it? If it is true that FFP places do not fill up, the interview would be there just to ensure that they don't give full fee places to, like, introvert anti-social students, no?

Pretty sure it's the same as the other applicants. If you have GAMSAT scores and all and have a competitive enough combo, you will get one interview - if you destroy the interview you may get a CSP/BMP or whatever. And if all else fails, as long as you pass you will get the FFP.
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
The interview is the same.

The guaranteed FFP pathway has become less attractive to students because of uncertainty surrounding prospects for FFP students and the fact that it's 250k up front.