Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:51:40 pm

Author Topic: UAC preference: JMP med or ANU PhB Science for 1st  (Read 1488 times)  Share 

AllG_

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
UAC preference: JMP med or ANU PhB Science for 1st
« on: December 28, 2015, 12:09:52 am »
Hey so I recently got a call from ANU saying that to be considered for admission for their PhB science course, I will need to list this degree as my first preference by 2 January. The reason why i applied for this degree is because it has a potential pathway to medicine given that i maintain a high gpa
However, my first preference at the moment is JMP medicine. I know they have already sent out interview invitations in early November, but I'm not sure as to whether they will be sending out any more invitations given that our ATAR results are now out
If given the choice, I would definitely choose JMP medicine

So I guess my question is: will JMP send out another round of interview invitations for medicine? Because if they do, I'll stick with JMP as my first preference. If not, I'll bump ANU to 1st.

Thankss

amyhere

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Re: UAC preference: JMP med or ANU PhB Science for 1st
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:25:06 am »
Hey so I recently got a call from ANU saying that to be considered for admission for their PhB science course, I will need to list this degree as my first preference by 2 January. The reason why i applied for this degree is because it has a potential pathway to medicine given that i maintain a high gpa
However, my first preference at the moment is JMP medicine. I know they have already sent out interview invitations in early November, but I'm not sure as to whether they will be sending out any more invitations given that our ATAR results are now out
If given the choice, I would definitely choose JMP medicine

So I guess my question is: will JMP send out another round of interview invitations for medicine? Because if they do, I'll stick with JMP as my first preference. If not, I'll bump ANU to 1st.

Thankss

As someone who got an offer for PhB Science, here are some of the things that I remember hearing, but obviously I would just contact both the unis to see what they say.  For ANU definitely contact PhB Enquiries ([email protected]), they've been incredibly helpful for me and they're definitely willing to go out of their way to find answers for you if they don't know themselves. (I've sent them quite a few strange questions after I deferred).

But back to complete rumor, I've heard that the only reason they say to put it as your first preference, because they're assuming that if you can get into PhB you can get into any course so you should just put the one you want to do as your first preference, and not even pay attention to the emails from any other unis.  This is true for the majority of applicants, the only people who wouldn't fit into this would be a couple applying for medicine and possibly law.  So pretty much what I've heard is they say this because they assume that if you don't put PhB first, you'll get another offer and therefore none for PhB, and if that's what you want you shouldn't be paying attention to instructions from the PhB people..  ;D  Because of this I'd totally just contact ANU and explain what's going on and check whether you'll still get an offer if PhB is ranked 2 but you don't get into your second preference.  If I'm completely wrong and ANU says so, then I'd call up JMP and see what they can do.
2013: Biology
2014: Chemistry | French | Methods | Further | Lang | ATAR: 99.50
2016: Bachelorstudium Transkulturelle Kommunikation @ Universität Wien
2017: PhB (Science) @ ANU

Amy's guide to rocking a VCE language

I offer French and German tutoring in Central Victoria & over Skype, more information here:
VCE French & German Tutoring