Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:39:26 am

Author Topic: Where can biomedicine take you?  (Read 5135 times)  Share 

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Scopus
Where can biomedicine take you?
« on: January 15, 2016, 12:43:20 am »
Thanks

DeezNuts

• Trendsetter
  • 'where must we go, we who wander the wasteland'
  • Respect: +6
  • School: Tha Streetz
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: Where can biomedicine take you?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:53:05 am »
My sister is currently in Biomed at UoM and as far as I (or rather,she) can gather, the only real pathways available are further research opportunities or a gateway to Medicine.

If you don't really want to do Med, then I suggest Science as a more generalist degree that will provide more options than just research
Literature (47) ~ Psych (43) ~ Bio (42)
Tutoring available, just PM me if interested :)
[Limited spots remaining]

'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.'

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:20:13 am »
+3
As well intentioned as the above poster was, their statement is a tad inaccurate.

Biomedicine is primarily designed as a pathway to any career in the health sciences industry. This can extend well beyond simply medicine and research. Moreover, you don't even necessarily have to do something if you find you have a change of heart.

A quick Google search might yield better answers for you, but examples include med (obvious), physiotherapy, dental surgery, biomedical engineering, optometry, and health informatics. You can also do things in other disciplines such as law or education.

The unimelb website has a wide range of info and there are plenty of threads on AN about this. Just have a look around.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:57:25 pm by Alter »
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 06:41:42 pm »
I only know one person that already finished their biomed degree and she was working in research with it. I think it's primarily a research path. Most people use it as an alternative means to get into medicine though.
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:35:14 pm »
Thanks

Can take you to a whole heap of places. Depends where you do it, but they're primarily designed to lead into a career in the health sciences, be that in med, research, physio, dentistry, social work etc etc. That said, there are other pathways available as well. Biomed/Science graduates are highly sought after in the public service, for instance. Another destination, of course, is education.

2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd