Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 05:42:27 am

Author Topic: When do I start studying for GAMSAT?  (Read 5376 times)  Share 

Redoxify

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
  • School: UoM
  • School Grad Year: 2018
When do I start studying for GAMSAT?
« on: January 25, 2016, 05:02:13 pm »
Pretty much the title of this thread,
When do/should I start?
Also for people that have completed the GAMSAT, when did you guys commence studying?
cheers xx
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bsc Melbourne Uni

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +82
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: When do I start studying for GAMSAT?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 05:07:54 pm »
+1
Pretty much the title of this thread,
When do/should I start?
Also for people that have completed the GAMSAT, when did you guys commence studying?
cheers xx

Whenever you deem it necessary! Completely up to you, brush up on what you feel is necessary, and practice in areas you believe you have weakpoints. The allotted time you dedicate is completely at your own discretion. Some people chose to study extensively, whereas others emphasis improving their weaknesses.
2012-2013: VCE
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine at Monash University

Redoxify

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:10:31 pm »
Whenever you deem it necessary! Completely up to you, brush up on what you feel is necessary, and practice in areas you believe you have weakpoints. The allotted time you dedicate is completely at your own discretion. Some people chose to study extensively, whereas others emphasis improving their weaknesses.

I'm starting my undergrad course this year, I haven't discovered my weak points yet :P, but thank you!!

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 05:13:07 pm »
I'm starting my undergrad course this year, I haven't discovered my weak points yet :P, but thank you!!

In that case there's not a whole heap you can do right now in terms of the science section. Perhaps for Section I and II you can start reading broadly, generating ideas and attempting some practice problems. It's early days, but if you're keen, I see no harm in that. As for the Science Section, if you've done physics, you could attempt some problems to see if you've retained your knowledge from year 12.

Redoxify

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:17:02 pm »
In that case there's not a whole heap you can do right now in terms of the science section. Perhaps for Section I and II you can start reading broadly, generating ideas and attempting some practice problems. It's early days, but if you're keen, I see no harm in that. As for the Science Section, if you've done physics, you could attempt some problems to see if you've retained your knowledge from year 12.
Yeah that sounds like a plan. Didn't do year 12 physics in VCE, does physics 1 fundamentals make up for it at uni?

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:13:06 pm »

How would you recommend learning Chemistry and Biology from scratch? I'm pretty prepared for the (tiny) Physics portion, but I'm not sure where to start with the other two. Could you direct me to some khanacademy playlists or something relevant to the GAMSAT? I was thinking of watching the Chem I and Chem II lectures online.

Thanks!
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:33:38 pm »
Yeah that sounds like a plan. Didn't do year 12 physics in VCE, does physics 1 fundamentals make up for it at uni?

I imagine that would suffice.

How would you recommend learning Chemistry and Biology from scratch? I'm pretty prepared for the (tiny) Physics portion, but I'm not sure where to start with the other two. Could you direct me to some khanacademy playlists or something relevant to the GAMSAT? I was thinking of watching the Chem I and Chem II lectures online.

Thanks!

For something like Biology, you're best off taking first year Biology at university, it's much easier to grasp the knowledge that way. As for Chemistry, I think it's potentially better to just go through key areas like thermodynamics, kinetics, organic reactions, nomenclature, acids and bases, etc. Watching lectures helps, but ultimately you think of it being analogous to VCE, practice, practice and more practice is pertinent, imo (although whatever works for you, do it).

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 06:37:01 pm »
For something like Biology, you're best off taking first year Biology at university, it's much easier to grasp the knowledge that way. As for Chemistry, I think it's potentially better to just go through key areas like thermodynamics, kinetics, organic reactions, nomenclature, acids and bases, etc. Watching lectures helps, but ultimately you think of it being analogous to VCE, practice, practice and more practice is pertinent, imo (although whatever works for you, do it).

I didn't do VCE Chem or VCE Bio, and my undergrad is totally unrelated to medicine (I don't have room for electives). Anything else I can do?

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 06:41:48 pm »
I didn't do VCE Chem or VCE Bio, and my undergrad is totally unrelated to medicine (I don't have room for electives). Anything else I can do?

In that case you can just go through the Khan Academy videos on both Chemistry and Biology. If you're doing Eng, I imagine the intro units will teach you a bit of chem too. You could also look at picking up a Biology and Chem textbook and getting through it. There's A LOT of resources, which is good. I'd suggest starting off with Khan and the delving into more complicated discussion, such as those that the ukdavis chem wiki has.

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 06:44:03 pm »
In that case you can just go through the Khan Academy videos on both Chemistry and Biology. If you're doing Eng, I imagine the intro units will teach you a bit of chem too. You could also look at picking up a Biology and Chem textbook and getting through it. There's A LOT of resources, which is good. I'd suggest starting off with Khan and the delving into more complicated discussion, such as those that the ukdavis chem wiki has.

Ahk. Thanks. They removed Chem I as a foundation unit this year, but there is still a bit of chem in one of the engineering design subjects, so I can use that as my base. Any playlists in particular, or should I go from the start?

Thanks!