Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:28 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 275697 times)  Share 

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #885 on: September 26, 2019, 07:15:51 am »
Guys can someone tell me how you would answer this question ASAP PLEASE:)

(b) Religious practices in christianity help followers to gain a deeper understanding of their beliefs.

How does this statement help to demonstrate the significance of ONE of the following practices for the Christian community? (8)
* baptism ( I chose baptism)

I wrote about how it reflects their own experience of baptism but I don't know how to elaborate on that....
You could also talk about how baptism symbolises death to sin and the end of an old life as well as cleansing and rebirth. This is the same as what Christian adherents believe about Jesus; that when he dies he conquers sin and death and that because of that when Christians confess our sins, we are cleansed by God. It also symbolises faith and belief in the fact that Jesus was really raised from the dead.

Therefore, baptism is another religious practice that points back to the core of Christianity, Jesus's resurrection and what that means for us.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:17:29 am by laura_ »

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #886 on: September 27, 2019, 10:23:19 am »
+1
You could also talk about how baptism symbolises death to sin and the end of an old life as well as cleansing and rebirth. This is the same as what Christian adherents believe about Jesus; that when he dies he conquers sin and death and that because of that when Christians confess our sins, we are cleansed by God. It also symbolises faith and belief in the fact that Jesus was really raised from the dead.

Therefore, baptism is another religious practice that points back to the core of Christianity, Jesus's resurrection and what that means for us.

thanks man:)
-KgkG-

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #887 on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:38 pm »
Guys I chose hinduism for my extended response and i needed help for ideas on this question. I chose premarital sex and widows however I realised widows aren't really related to this question.
Would it be better to link it to inner peace?

Question 3 — Hinduism (20 marks)
Desire can be eradicated* by a fully-fledged devotion to God.
*eradicated removed completely
How do the ideas expressed in the statement assist an adherent to live a truly Hindu life?
-KgkG-

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #888 on: October 11, 2019, 08:59:10 pm »
+1
Guys I chose hinduism for my extended response and i needed help for ideas on this question. I chose premarital sex and widows however I realised widows aren't really related to this question.
Would it be better to link it to inner peace?

Question 3 — Hinduism (20 marks)
Desire can be eradicated* by a fully-fledged devotion to God.
*eradicated removed completely
How do the ideas expressed in the statement assist an adherent to live a truly Hindu life?
Hey Kombmail,
I agree with you- widows aren't really relevant to this question. Premarital sex would like in nicely with inner peace in the context of this question. You could talk about how achieving inner peace through devotion to God can eradicate desires to do sinful things (premarital sex). Best of luck!

aqua2427

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #889 on: March 27, 2020, 10:20:17 am »
Hi,

I was wondering how many words are recommended for an 8marker?

Thanks,
Hannah

aqua2427

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #890 on: April 02, 2020, 11:04:46 am »
I really struggle with SOR short answer question and getting full marks on them, is there a template or something I can follow because I don't have this problem in business studies or PDHPE and I can't work out why that is.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #891 on: April 03, 2020, 03:46:36 pm »
+1
Hi,

I was wondering how many words are recommended for an 8marker?

Thanks,
Hannah

I really struggle with SOR short answer question and getting full marks on them, is there a template or something I can follow because I don't have this problem in business studies or PDHPE and I can't work out why that is.
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums!

There isn't really a set word count for an 8 marker. Usually, the number of lines should indicate how much you should be writing, but I would estimate that I wrote around 200 words for an 8 marker.

The way you should structure your 8 marker response is a mini essay:

Intro: 1 sentence that essentially answers the question.

e.g. Khadijah Bint Khuwaylid is a highly influential figure in Islam as she exemplifies the idea of having "the courage to speak what is true and pursue what is right and just."

Explain: This is where you explain your previous statement, but mention 1 point. Treat it like the first sentence in your first paragraph.

e.g. This is reflected in her display of unconditional support to Muhammad as he spreads the message of Allah.

Elaborate: Include any relevant detail you know about this point like quotes and statistics.

e.g. As a result, Muhammad was able to fulfil his purpose as the last prophet. Khadijah's significance is reflected in the quote "She believed in me when all others disbelieved" (Hadith), reflecting her importance in Islam.

You repeat steps 2 and 3 with your next few points. Depending on your handwriting size, you may be able to explore two or three points in the response. Once you're satisfied with the number of points you've explored, you just do your concluding sentence, which is basically another way of saying your first sentence.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #892 on: April 21, 2020, 04:10:16 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering on how I could write a really structured and effective introduction for Christianity and Buddhism when researching Baptism and Wesak in both religious traditions?

Thanks in advance
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

komi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #893 on: November 22, 2020, 10:53:59 pm »
Spoiler
Australia is increasingly a story of religious diversity, with Hinduism, Sikhism, Islam, and Buddhism all increasingly common religious beliefs. Hinduism had the most significant growth between 2006 and 2016, driven by immigration from South Asia.”
The Question: To what extent has immigration influenced the changing patterns of religious adherence in Australia from 1945-2016?
Must refer to the quote and provide census statistics in the response.

To a major extent, immigration has had a profound and widespread impact in shaping Australia’s contemporary religious landscape through the changing patterns of religious adherence from 1945-2016. Immigration from various Western and Asian countries including Britain and Indochina as a result of World War II and the suspension of the White Australia Policy have heavily influenced religious adherence especially in Christianity as well as through the consequent appeal of denominational switching. Immigration in 1976-2006 inflamed secularism in Australia and sparked tremendous increases in non-christian religious traditions as well as non-religion, demonstrating immigration’s profound and widespread impact in shaping Australia’s contemporary religious landscape.

Immigration from Western and Asian countries as an aftermath of WWII and the suspension of the White Australia Policy in 1973 as well as the influence in popularity of denominational switching have defined the changes in religious adherence in Christianity as well as other religious traditions. From 1950-1965, Christianity remained the major religious tradition in Australia with 88% of total religious affiliation. After WWII in 1945, the Chifley Government assisted more than 1.5 million British immigrants to Australia, in the hopes of “bringing out British migrants to augment the Australian population” (National Archives of Australia - Ben Chifley). This saw a rise in both numbers and proportional figures of Christianity as well as an approximate 5,000 person increase in the overall Australian population according to ABS statistics. Additionally,  statistics also state that Catholicism has seen a constant significant increase in religious proportionality since 1947 until 1976, (an approximate 2-3% increase every 5 years). Additionally, approximately 30,000 Jews arrived in Australia from Europe (excluding Britain) as survivors from the Holocaust. As a result of this wave of Jewish migration, the Australian Jewish community became one of the most distinctive of the Jewish communities outside Israel. The White Australia Policy was a policy that restricted immigration from non-European travellers. Its suspension in 1973 was an attempt to turn Australia more religiously diverse, as it was dominated mainly by Christianity at the time. Tremendous eight-fold increases in non-christian religions indeed caused Australia to become “increasingly a story of religious diversity” as a result of foreign immigration. Religion in Australia has been further diversified as “Hinduism had the most significant growth between 2006 and 2016” with an increase of over 35,000 adherents, according to ABS statistics. Therefore, these influxes of immigration from various different countries have considerably formed the contemporary religious landscape through the changes in religious patterns of adherence.

Non-religious affiliation in Australia also greatly increased from 0.8% to 6.7% in just 5 years in parallel with the White Australia Policy suspension and the official recognition of a non-religious worldview in the census. Buddhist immigrants began arriving in 1975 from various parts of Indochina, including Cambodia and Laos. Correlating, census figures indicate that during the decade of 1981 to 1991, Buddhism was the fastest-growing religion in Australia with an increase of over 40,000 adherents, significantly influencing Buddhist adherence in Australia. The rise of denominational switching in Christianity was greatly due to the increase in younger audiences and families as part of foreign immigration to Australia. As a result of this many younger Christian audiences had a tendency to switch denominations, particularly Protestant and Pentecostal churches. For example, the Australian Hillsong Megachurch used contemporary music and regular festivities to attract younger audiences and families, which helped shape the broader Christian landscape we see today.

Hi,
I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this half-essay on religion in Australia post-1945.
Areas of concern

1. [/b]Length[/b] - I usually aim for 1000 words or more in a SOR essay, and this is only like 600. I want to talk about New Age Religions and Secularism, but I can't seem to figure out how I would link those arguments with immigration (as I don't feel that immigration has really impacted New Age religions and Secularism). Should I change my view on immigration as being less significant in defining religious adherence in Australia?
2. Linking and sustained relevance to question + wording

Any feedback or help is much appreciated ,ty