Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:26 pm

Author Topic: rmit biomed eng question  (Read 1666 times)  Share 

Rohan C

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2015
rmit biomed eng question
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:42:11 pm »
Please forgive me if this post will be slightly irrelevant. I am really sorry to bother you but i really need some advice on Biomedical engineering  . Here is my post from ATAR notes , it would be awesome if you could share some insight  . Thankyou

!URGENT!  Monash Science Degree VS RMIT Biomed engineering degree 

Background -  I completed VCE last year with an atar of 91.45 from John Monash Science school  . I received a study score of 36 in Maths Methods .  I have always been interested in the medical field however due to the high competition to get into the Med courses I have decided to avoid the hassle .  I enjoy biology and chemistry a lot and want to peruse a career in those fields .

Dilemma ;       I was offered my first preference (Biomed Engineering @ RMIT)  and later in the second round was also offered Monash Science ( 3rd Preference ) . After some research in both courses I have no idea to which I should join .

Monash Science  Pros – the course is very flexible .

-       If I find any subjects difficult I could simply drop them.

-       Prestige

-       I am very familiar with the university ( I went to JMSS)

-       I have a lot of friends doing Science.

-       Many different carrier pathways

Monash Science Cons – The single biggest worry I have is not being able to maintain a 70 plus average (wam)

-       On completion of the science degree I have to complete a postgrad degree to have any job prospects .

-       I have to maintain a high Wam if I want to transfer to any courses

RMIT Pros – 4 years honors degree , so after completion I am able to seek a job .

-       Campus in the city .

-       Job security, as I believe this is a growing field .

-       I would be able to get a job even if I don’t do too well

Rmit Cons  - No Prestige

-       I have heard that their facilities are not as advanced as Monash

-       I enjoy math  but feel as though I will not be able to cope

-       I am more focused on the medical aspects of the degree

So here is my question . What pathway do you guys think is better for me in the long run if I want to have a high chance of being employed ?

1-    1 year of Monash science and then transfer into engineering or Radiography ( I have to have a high WAM and complete a sequence on math – I am afraid I wont be able to do so well )

2-    Completing the Biomed Eng degree at RMIT.

3-    Completing my science degree and applying for a post grad course .

Also would you guys be able to answer the following questions

1-    Would I be able to sit the GAMSAT and apply for post grad med through the RMIT Bio Med Eng degree ?.

2-    Do Biomedical engineers who have graduated from Monash have a higher chance of employment than RMIT graduates ?

3 - Does the RMIT course have a heavy emphasis on maths ?

I received a study score of 36 In Math Methods last year and I am worried that I will not be able to cope with the math in the engineering course .

Thankyou to anyone who has taken time out of their busy day to answer any of my questions .  I have listed this post as urgent as O-week starts next week and I want to make a decision ASAP . Please forgive me for any grammatical errors as I am in a bit of a rush .

Thanks again ATAR notes for all the help over the years .

Regards Rohan .